Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2018, 10:23 PM   #1

New to flat towing

Hey folks,
I just bought a Nissan juke with a bunch of miles on it as I wanted a cheap car to tow - Now my question is - I know I need the bracket for the car the tow bars and the wiring - however, do I really need a breaking system for the car as in Texas 4500lbs is the requirement for a breaking system and my vehicle is 2950 and my hitch is rated 5000lbs. Am I good to go with just the 3 items or do you recommend the breaking system . I am pulling with a class A gas Mirada 32ud
Thanks
Djisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djisle View Post
Hey folks,
I just bought a Nissan juke with a bunch of miles on it as I wanted a cheap car to tow - Now my question is - I know I need the bracket for the car the tow bars and the wiring - however, do I really need a breaking system for the car as in Texas 4500lbs is the requirement for a breaking system and my vehicle is 2950 and my hitch is rated 5000lbs. Am I good to go with just the 3 items or do you recommend the breaking system . I am pulling with a class A gas Mirada 32ud
Thanks
Not really for that weight, just about all states require one on toads over 3000#. I tow a spark, with a class c and I don't need one, the spark weight is 2300 lbs. Don't have any problem with it at all. Check your State DMV regs

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #3

New to flat towing

Yes check the state regs where you will be traveling.

The other thing to look at is even if they don’t require supplemental brakes they may require breakaway braking if the Toad comes completely disconnected.

The other thing to think about is the additional weight you have to stop with just the coach brakes.

Is more expensive but love our setup on our Forester towing new Hyundai Elantra sport-about the same weight.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #4

Not saying your wrong, but I have never heard or read where break away braking is required, over 3000 # aux braking is required but not under, also states honor your license state requirements, check your DMV is correct. If not an example , you need a class A license in California, but if your state doesn't require it you do not need one to operate a class A m/h in California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Yes check the state regs where you will be traveling.

The other thing to look at is even if they don’t require supplemental brakes they may require breakaway braking if the Toad comes completely disconnected.

The other thing to think about is the additional weight you have to stop with just the coach brakes.

Is more expensive but love our setup on our Forester towing new Hyundai Elantra sport-about the same weight.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:21 AM   #5

New to flat towing

Here is a picture coded with weights by state where braking is required.

http://www.readybrake.com/state-towing-laws.html

There are other sites as well that have the info.

Could have misread the breakaway requirement when braking not required but personally I’d never want to assume the liability of towing without. Rare scenario where everything comes disconnected but not unheard of.

If you look at the map Kansas has a stopping requirement which if met you don’t need aux braking. But the are stared for breakaway. At least that is how I read the info.

Just remember the towing requirements are by the state you are towing in different than the license reciprocity.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:57 AM   #6

Your correct, all states require break away cables or chains, but aux breaking not If you can stop within that distance, which I have no problem with a 2300# toad and a Chevy 4500 braking system. Is the way I read it.
Quote:

http://www.readybrake.com/state-towing-laws.html

Could have misread the breakaway requirement when braking not required but personally I’d never want to assume the liability of towing without. Rare scenario where everything comes disconnected but not unheard of.

If you look at the map Kansas has a stopping requirement which if met you don’t need aux braking. But the are stared for breakaway. At least that is how I read the info.

Just remember the towing requirements are by the state you are towing in different than the license reciprocity.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #7

I believe the breakaway requirement is for brakes when the Toad becomes disconnected. Basically prevents it from running away into traffic.

Ours has a pin that when pulled from the attached cable puts in the brakes full on the Toad.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:29 PM   #8

Breakaway system

We tow a Fiat 500 behind our MBZ Forester and use the RVi braking system. I believe that we should be responsible on the road and not create a hazard by towing without a breakaway system in place. What if something happens, blowout, mechanical or metal failure, and the toad comes loose? You're putting everyone on the road in danger. Once the toad is loose it won't stop until it hits something. I won't take the chance. Safety First.
myclmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #9

New to flat towing

To the OP if those are the numbers for Texas and you are only going to be towing within that state then technically you would not need braking.

Remember if you go outside of TX you have to comply with the towing rules of the state you are in.

Not sure if the weight of your coach but our Forester is just under 15k and our Elantra sport is just under 3k. So we are adding 20% more weight for the coach to stop if no supplemental braking. Just something to think about.

Since we are planning on retiring as soon as we can we bought the Elantra new and had permanent brake system installed ( well could be removed but nothing sitting on the floor etc ).

In the long run complete setup made sense for us and works well. Already had to hit the brakes hard for some idiot and the car helped stop the coach. Not sure would have made it without brakes in the Toad. Then it would have been our dash cam word against theirs.

Just some things to think about.

Whatever you do stay safe and enjoy.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by myclmac View Post
We tow a Fiat 500 behind our MBZ Forester and use the RVi braking system. I believe that we should be responsible on the road and not create a hazard by towing without a breakaway system in place. What if something happens, blowout, mechanical or metal failure, and the toad comes loose? You're putting everyone on the road in danger. Once the toad is loose it won't stop until it hits something. I won't take the chance. Safety First.
Your fiat weight gross is 3350# yes by law you are required in any state. Glad your using a system.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #11

Quote:

State and Province Towing Laws

First off your link is to a manufacturer of a tow system (duh). If you scroll to the bottom of the page and read their reference and click on "AAA's web site linked here" and read the referenced requirements by state you might be surprised at what a motorhome towing (other than towing a trailer) requirements are. I'm not saying it's good or bad; that's an individuals decision. All I'm saying is that a lot of people throw requirements and laws out there and really have no concrete reference. It's always best to check with your states requirements and not take what's said here as gospel.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:04 AM   #12

I don't know about these charts that the manufacturer is putting out. The DMV in California states different then what they say, here is a law from DMV:
If you are towing a car, be sure the hitch attachment on the RV is secure. Hitch weight ratings are usually stamped on the hitch assemblies. The tow bar attachment is also a concern because of the integrated frame construction used in most small cars. If you use a tow bar, safety chains are required, but a breakaway switch is not. Fully operational tail, brake, and turn signal lights are required on the towed car. Now there chart is saying that a breakaway is required, But DMV is saying NO... Puzzling right? I went through all states DMV, 99% say over 3000#'s or stopping within a distance, or 40% of gross weight. What am I missing here? Could it be the Manufacturer is just tring to sell equipment? Or are they just putting out bad information.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:20 AM   #13
Citrus County, Fl.

I think most of us have a lot more weight towing behind us than the "dry weight" of the toad. I always carry the heavier items in the car because I am just about maxed out in the motor home.

I had to tow without auxiliary breaking when the compressor on my Brake Buddy failed and I had to be much more alert to traffic and keep my distance. Not having breaking puts more stress on the MH brakes and hitch as well as the tow bar and the baseplate. I would imagine it also increases the stopping distance.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
I think most of us have a lot more weight towing behind us than the "dry weight" of the toad. I always carry the heavier items in the car because I am just about maxed out in the motor home.

I had to tow without auxiliary breaking when the compressor on my Brake Buddy failed and I had to be much more alert to traffic and keep my distance. Not having breaking puts more stress on the MH brakes and hitch as well as the tow bar and the baseplate. I would imagine it also increases the stopping distance.
Your probably correct, but everyone should know there weight, I couldn't fit enough to put me over 3000#'s, so my point is as you have said, if your over 3000#'s as 99% of the state's say you need an aux brake and breakaway. Another point this manufactor is using a trailer for there example, such as California, they show 1500#'s which is correct , but only on trailers not toads. Yet the way there advertisement reads it's for toads. Which is what this whole thread is about.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #15

We tow a 2005 Scion XB behind a 30' Forester, 2,400 lbs soaking wet. No braking system, not required in Kansas. 5,000 lb tow bar, heavy safety chains. Never had an issue stopping quickly.

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #16

Well they got me... I had them add a breaking system (portable blue ox) So now I have everything. Base plate, tow bar, lighting, break and if it detaches from the coach I have a break for that. total with installation = $3400. Car cost me 8K. Well if I get another car down the line I just need the baseplate and lights... Anyway, leaving in a week next Friday so good luck...
Djisle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing