RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-25-2020, 06:07 AM   #1

Question New to rving, Ram Rebel towing

My husband and i are purchasing a travel trailer. We both camped growing up but have no experience in towing or setting up camp.

We have a 2019 Ram Rebel Crew cab 5.7 V8 3.92 rear axle ratio short bed. We do not understand what to look for in weights and lengths of campers. We have searched GVWR etc and donít understand it. Can someone explain in simple terms for me please?
Also, should we be looking at something small since we havenít towed before or is it just as easy yo haul a 25í as a 30í? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
JohnAmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:03 AM   #2

Your Ram’s GVWR is basically the maximum weight of the vehicle loaded.

Which includes curb weight, passengers and payload which includes the trailer’s tongue weight

Trailer GVWR is the maximum weight of the trailer. (Empty weight plus cargo, water)
Old 10-25-2020, 07:30 AM   #3

First you need to understand your trucks limitations before looking at trailers.

Look on the door jam of your truck for a sticker that tells you the max payload...this is the maximum weight you can add to your truck as it rolled off the assembly line. This number should not be exceeded and everything you load in the truck subtracts from this number including the tongue weight of the trailer you are looking at.

Second you need to know what receiver is on your truck (look at it on your truck) and its rating for max tongue weight and tow weight.

I emphasized 'your' because any brochure with numbers on it (from Ram or not) are just base numbers. Your truck has unique specific limits.

Third how much weight are you going to add to your truck. You/hubby/gear/anything you plan on putting in the truck.

Report back with those numbers and folks will get you started (there's more) down the path of destruction (I mean knowledge).
Old 10-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum from New Jersey, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
Brake is on left

To add on to what BigH said-
The loading decal looks like this one below.
Since you are new to all this, you probably do not know what you will put in the bed of the truck. I would guesstimate 500-600 pounds for a cooler, firewood, bikes, small generator etc. So add your weight+ hubby+ pets + 600. Subtract that number from the cargo capacity of the Ram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire-info-sticker-edited.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	241843  
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:40 AM   #6

Mine says shouldn’t exceed 1488. My husband and i total 330. We won’t have any pets or firewood or cooler in the truck. But will have our chairs and a few other things. So guessing in all. No more than 600 lbs.

So i guess that part is good. Now, how do i figure out what’s should br looking at for weight and length of trailer.

According to a chart we looked at our truck is rated for 11200 on the Trailer Life 2019 towing guide. . Not even sure what that means. Lol

Again. Thank you in advance for all your help.

We are thinking about either the 2608BS OR 2516S.
JohnAmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAmi View Post
Mine says shouldn’t exceed 1488. My husband and i total 330. We won’t have any pets or firewood or cooler in the truck. But will have our chairs and a few other things. So guessing in all. No more than 600 lbs.

So i guess that part is good. Now, how do i figure out what’s should br looking at for weight and length of trailer.

According to a chart we looked at our truck is rated for 11200 on the Trailer Life 2019 towing guide. . Not even sure what that means. Lol

We still need the receiver rating from your truck.
Your truck will need an electronic brake controller.
Forget the 11,200lb tow rating...you will never reach that number without exceeding other ratings on your truck. Your truck has a low cargo capacity number (1488)...this will be the weakest link.

Now we will take the 600lbs you are loading into the truck and subtract that from 1488. You have 888lbs left over (provided your receiver is rated high enough). Your travel trailer needs to have a loaded tongue weight of less than 888lbs. The problem is that trailers are published in dry weights (not ready to camp). So you have to do a little figuring to find the ready to camp tongue weight. Find the specs for the trailer you are looking for and multiply 13% (guestimation) by its gross weight...this will give you an approximate tongue weight.

If I were you I would be looking for a camper with no more than 6000lbs gross (total weight ready to camp).

I don't think you can make either of those trailers work...too much tongue weight. The 2516 has 880lb dry tongue weight...if you put a bag of chips in the camper you will be overloaded. The other one is 796dry tongue...a battery and a bag of chips and you would be overloaded.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:29 PM   #8
Tom Stauffer

Expensive lesson

One number to pay attention to is the CVGR- the Combined Vehicle Gross Rating. In simple terms, it is the max weight of the loaded trailer, the truck payload, driver/passenger and everything in the truck. The best thing to do is to weigh the truck with the trailer. I made the mistake to focus on the truck's Trailer Towing capacity. I figured wince my truck (at that time it was a Ford F150 with the 3.5 eco-boost and the best towing specs, giving that truck a "trailer towing capacity" of 11,600 lbs. I figured if my trailer was loaded, I had no more than 9,100-9,500 lbs) What I mistakenly didn't factor was the PAYLOAD of my truck. It was a long bed that I loaded FULL. I took the truck and trailer to a CAT scale to it weighed in at 16,400 lbs, WITHOUT me, food or clothes in the trailer. The truck's CVGW was 17,100. Technically, I was within the allowable specs. BUT, the truck transmission struggled up a steep hill from a dead stop. I was then more concerned about SAFETY. I plan to tow our west in altitude. A gas engine can lose up to 20% of towing capacity in high altitude. Something to think more about is the ability of the truck to safely stop the trailer while going DOWN the mountain, which can have some mountain passes with very steep grades. So, my F150 would have likely had a struggle in long trips. I ended up trading my F150 in for an F350 6.7 Powerstroke diesel and it is overkill, but it will handle anywhere I tow the trailer. Since you already have your tow vehicle and it is rated for i think you said 11,200 lbs, I would recommend you get a trailer that when fully loaded, does not exceed 6,000-7,000 lbs. Since you don't carry a lot of payload, your trailer weight will be within your combined trailer/truck total weight, and you should be able to safely tow in altitude also. Hope this helps.

2019 Rockwood Signature Series 8335BSS
2019 F350 XLT Super Cab 6.7 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel
tpstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #9
Tundra 2014

Traier

It is easier to pull a 25' VS 30' trailer. If it is listed "X" length trailer, the actual length will be 4' longer for the front V. Consider you are towing a sail, as the trailer gets longer, wind and passing trucks have more effect. Also, if going to national parks, especially older ones, more sites to available to shorter trailers. In the past, someone posted a stat that there are 50% less sites available over 25'. I would agree this is about right. The unloaded weight is usually understated from trailer manufacturers. The weight is for the basic no frill model w/o battery or full propane.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #10

I started with a 24 foot Rockwood 2504S weighing around 6,000 lbs. My 2019 Ram 1500 with 5.7 and 3:92 would tow it okay. I didn't try hills and mountains though. I recently Bought a Flagstaff Super lite 26FKBS . That is a twin to the model you are looking at . After pulling it home 250 miles and being blown all over the interstate by passing Semi trucks I was wore out. Yes my truck would tow it. But after a tongue weight is added to payload and adding the passengers and gear I ran out of capacity and it was just not safe to tow. Meaning I was at max weight. Not even thinking about going into the mountains or taking it across the country. I solve my problem buy upgrading my truck to a RAM 2500 with a Cummins Diesel. In answer to your question. Like other's say forget your trucks ideal towing ability. It just doesn't work that way. I learned the hard way but buying another truck. Look at all of the information others have posted about figuring you trucks ability to tow. Then start looking at RV's you like that fit in that category. Do not, I repeat do not believe what the RV salesman tells you. LOL. hope this helps also
Fleaglefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #11

My owners manual lists the maximum towing capacity. Yours does not? Is there a Dodge towing guide? (The Ford guide is very detailed.) FYI the cargo capacity of my Expedition is maybe 70 pounds less than your truck. My trailer weighs about 6000 pounds.

-- Chuck
Old 10-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #12
Site Team

Your 1488lbs of payload is the weak link.
Both trailers have front kitchens, which are tongue heavy.

2608BS- fictional dry tongue weight of 946lbs.
2516S- fictional dry tongue weight of 880lbs.

Both numbers are based on a stripped-down version of the trailer. Therefore those numbers don't account for the weights of batteries, factory options, dealer add-ons, water and trailer cargo.
So you start by subtracting your 600lbs and 100lbs for the WDH. That only leaves you only 788lbs for the loaded tongue weight. So that eliminates both trailers since their fictional dry tongue weights already exceed that.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:08 PM   #13
Lets go camping!

i think you will be ok with the 2516S but not the 2608BS.

just have the WDH setup properly and a good trailer brake controller.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:28 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8t six View Post
How do you figure that? The fictional dry tongue weight of the 2516S is 880lbs.
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...gionSelected=1

The OP will only have 788lbs of payload left over, after subtracting their 600lbs of occupants, truck cargo and the 100lbs for the WDH.
Quote: "My husband and i total 330. We wonít have any pets or firewood or cooler in the truck. But will have our chairs and a few other things. So guessing in all. No more than 600 lbs."
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8t six View Post

just have the WDH setup properly and a good trailer brake controller.
Help that newb out and show the math on how adding a battery, a wdh and loading that trailer will make the numbers work.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #16

Quote:
My husband and i are purchasing a travel trailer. We both camped growing up but have no experience in towing or setting up camp.

We have a 2019 Ram Rebel Crew cab 5.7 V8 3.92 rear axle ratio short bed. We do not understand what to look for in weights and lengths of campers. We have searched GVWR etc and donít understand it. Can someone explain in simple terms for me please?

Also, should we be looking at something small since we havenít towed before or is it just as easy yo haul a 25í as a 30í? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I learned the hard way. When we got our 1st camper, I thought all I needed to know was the maximum tow weight of my truck, wrong. The TV payload, tongue weight and rear end maximum weight are the most important. Chances are you will exceed your TV payload before you meet the maximum tow weight. My recommendation is no more than 25í and 6,000lb GVWR.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #17

My son has a ram pickup configured the same as yours. He pulls a 30 ft keystone bunkhouse with a slide out. He is using a blue ox sway pro hitch with 1200 lbs bars and is very happy with the performance. You will find that the longer trailer is mush easier to back up than a short trailer. When you are backing up just make slow small corrections and you will be fine
K5460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:27 PM   #18
Enjoying Life

Quote:

You should not tow the 2608BS. I have had two(currently a 2019) the real world tongue weight on both will be over 1000 lbs. My current one(verified by CAT weighing and Sureline scales) comes in at: 1082 lbs tongue with the trailer weighing 7401 lbs.
I pulled my first one with a 2006 Durango with the Hemi V8 and a 410 rear end. It has a 1910 payload and even though I was under the numbers it was not the best tow experience. The combination did fine on fairly level towing and light winds. In high wind, it was not pleasant. You knew when trucks passed and you had to be alert. I never had a real problem but was always more tired at the end of day.
With my new 2608 and the F250 the ride is more enjoyable.Winds have not been an issue and trucks are not even noticed as they pass. I am no longer tired out at the end of day.
ďLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!Ē - Hunter S. Thompson, The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967
TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:10 PM   #19

advised tongue weight is hard to gauge how off it is. Mine was spec’d at 585 lbs but actual is 680 lbs. Higher by about 16%
Old 10-25-2020, 06:50 PM   #20

We have a 2019 Laramie 4X4 4.92 gears 5.7 Hemi. With a similar payload. We tow a 2020 Surveyor 267 RBSS. EQUAL-I-IZER 10K/1K hitch. I have taken it to a Cat Scale

The payload for the truck is at the limit. The trailer has lots of weight left. So I put everything in the trailer.
It tows great, no sway whatsoever. Looks level.
I never carry any water, gray or black.

Would I plan it this way? No. But it works fine.

Good luck.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ram, towing