Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2019, 10:36 PM   #1

New Tow Vehicle

My 2012 F-150 5.0 Scab did fine in Florida. The hills in the Tallahassee area kinda hinted that we might have issues in the Appalachians and the like. Well, someone is going to get a really nice truck. I did, too.

It's a 2019 F-250 Magnetic Metallic 6.2L 4x4 FX4 Crew Cab with a 6'9" bed and 4.1EL rear end. As the pic shows, it actually sits pretty level.

It has BLIS which extends blind spot sensing down the trailer when towing. Okay, the tow mirrors shrink the blind spot well, but this thing is close to 7' tall. The top of the bed is taller than my wife's Rogue (parked on the other side in this pic) so I think cross traffic sensing when not hooked up may be the best thing about it.

It also has the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System. That provides wrap around image that also will extend down the trailer and provides the estimated trailer path when backing. Again, with a big truck in a parking lot, any additional situation awareness is welcome.

There's probably 40 knobs and buttons (18 on the steering wheel alone) in the driver's reach. I think I need a pilot's license to operate it.

As for towing, time will tell. The book says to not tow for the first 1000 miles. I have 800 miles to go. I fully expect to recalibrate the E4 to account for the additional height. The first tow will likely be to the CAT scales. My Surveyor 243RBS shouldn't pose much of an issue for the F-250. I just wan to make sure the E4 is setup correctly. And it's good to know the numbers.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #2

Sharp truck. Congratulations!
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:21 AM   #3

Very nice, enjoy.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:58 AM   #4

Congrats on the new truck! I have an almost identically optioned TV except mine's an STX. The back end on the '17 and later 4X4's sit pretty high. You can swap the rear blocks with the pre-'17 blocks to lower it 1-1/2". I did that plus added Amp Power Steps. The DW is a bit vertically challenged and the steps really helped. When extended, they're about 2" lower than running boards.

With my E2 properly set up, I only have 1-3/8" rear squat from unloaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190407_151221.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	204493  
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
Now a "Top Member"

Awesome. I love my '19. It does sit high (so high I can't get it in the parking garage at work...bummer). But it tows my 5th wheel beautifully. You will love this thing when you get the trailer hooked up. Those other 800 miles will get there quick enough. Just take a road trip somewhere a few miles further away. Or two. And enjoy it! Report back after the first tow.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawilson View Post
My 2012 F-150 5.0 Scab did fine in Florida. The hills in the Tallahassee area kinda hinted that we might have issues in the Appalachians and the like. Well, someone is going to get a really nice truck. I did, too.

It's a 2019 F-250 Magnetic Metallic 6.2L 4x4 FX4 Crew Cab with a 6'9" bed and 4.1EL rear end. As the pic shows, it actually sits pretty level.

It has BLIS which extends blind spot sensing down the trailer when towing. Okay, the tow mirrors shrink the blind spot well, but this thing is close to 7' tall. The top of the bed is taller than my wife's Rogue (parked on the other side in this pic) so I think cross traffic sensing when not hooked up may be the best thing about it.

It also has the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System. That provides wrap around image that also will extend down the trailer and provides the estimated trailer path when backing. Again, with a big truck in a parking lot, any additional situation awareness is welcome.

There's probably 40 knobs and buttons (18 on the steering wheel alone) in the driver's reach. I think I need a pilot's license to operate it.

As for towing, time will tell. The book says to not tow for the first 1000 miles. I have 800 miles to go. I fully expect to recalibrate the E4 to account for the additional height. The first tow will likely be to the CAT scales. My Surveyor 243RBS shouldn't pose much of an issue for the F-250. I just wan to make sure the E4 is setup correctly. And it's good to know the numbers.

I don’t even like Fords and that’s purty!! Congrats.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Awesome. I love my '19. It does sit high (so high I can't get it in the parking garage at work...bummer). But it tows my 5th wheel beautifully. You will love this thing when you get the trailer hooked up. Those other 800 miles will get there quick enough. Just take a road trip somewhere a few miles further away. Or two. And enjoy it! Report back after the first tow.

I haven’t been able to use a garage since the 90’s. I was out of town at a fancy smancy hotel and the only parking was garage...I guess all those folks had suvs and down. I had to park with the busses....thought I might get towed, but I didn’t. They would have had a chapped red neck.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #8
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I haven’t been able to use a garage since the 90’s. I was out of town at a fancy smancy hotel and the only parking was garage...I guess all those folks had suvs and down. I had to park with the busses....thought I might get towed, but I didn’t. They would have had a chapped red neck.
My 2011 was fine, but it was also only a 2 wheel drive. There are a few places to park in the street around the building, but not many. And hey...this is Houston. Sooo, only in an emergency. Which is too bad, I really enjoy driving this truck.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:30 AM   #9

You really think that 6.2 with 4.10 can pull more than about 3,215 pounds? You're crazy!!!! Hahaha. Shoulda bought a diesel F350 for that!

Great looking truck ....its even a nice color on my old school '16 too!

You'll love it! The payload is insane and those Fords are just really nice trucks.

Happy towing!

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
You really think that 6.2 with 4.10 can pull more than about 3,215 pounds?
Yeah. I do.

BTW, where did you get 3,215 lbs? My trailer is upper 6K. I have about that much payload before hitching up.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawilson View Post

That is a sharp truck! But I'm a little biased. I would liked to have gotten the 4.30 gears as you did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180917_170721.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	204652  

Tags
tow vehicle