Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2021, 08:45 AM   #21
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
That line always cracks me up!!

Do you really think a 1 ton has enough brakes to stop a 40' 5th wheel without help from the trailer?
Or a semi-tractor stopping a 40-ton load with only the tractor brakes?

Trailer brakes are there to stop the trailer.

Yes, a 1 ton towing a 5th wheel that is properly sized for the truck can stop without trailer brakes.

Trailer brakes can an do fail for many reasons. I've had it happen to me personally. In an emergency, a properly sized tow vehicle can stop a trailer without assistance from the trailer. I'm not saying the OP's truck cant do that but his braking distance will be alot longer which makes it a hazard not only to himself and his passengers but to others on the road.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:47 AM   #22

Quote:

Do you really think a 1 ton has enough brakes to stop a 40' 5th wheel without help from the trailer?

Mine does and has without trailer brakes. Definitely not something you want to do often. My diesel has an engine-exhaust brake that helped when this did happen to me earlier this year. Plus, my one ton diesel has a curb weight much heavier than any half ton on the market which also helped. You certainly won't be able to do this with any half ton.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Yes, a 1 ton towing a 5th wheel that is properly sized for the truck can stop without trailer brakes.

Trailer brakes can an do fail for many reasons. I've had it happen to me personally. In an emergency, a properly sized tow vehicle can stop a trailer without assistance from the trailer. I'm not saying the OP's truck cant do that but his braking distance will be alot longer which makes it a hazard not only to himself and his passengers but to others on the road.
Do you guys just make this up as you go along? Do you think you're stopping distance with a 1 ton pulling a 40' 5th wheel will be the same with no trailer brakes?

I'd be willing to bet his 1/2ton stops his 9500lb trailer with no brakes just as fast as a 1 ton can stop a 40' 5th wheel with no brakes.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #24

Leave this guy alone!! He made his decision and will have to live with it. It’ll all work out. It does no good to beat him up. Find something else to gripe about.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:55 AM   #25
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Find something else to gripe about.

But it's the internet. That's what we do.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:00 AM   #26

Quote:

I was about to type the same thing. Cracks me up everytime I read something similar. If you are relying on truck brakes to stop your trailer you are doing it wrong.

I actually am lighter on the brake pedal of my truck when towing the RV as I set the up the trailer brakes do most of the work and actually help stop the truck!

For handling sake, It's always better to have the hitch in tension rather compression. Just another example of how an oversize truck/trailer combo setup incorrectly is likely just as, or more, dangerous than a sligthly undersize truck that is setup properly (i.e. brake controller, load balance of trailer, WDH setup).
SVTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:02 AM   #27

Nice!!!
edc1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Do you guys just make this up as you go along? Do you think you're stopping distance with a 1 ton pulling a 40' 5th wheel will be the same with no trailer brakes?

I'd be willing to bet his 1/2ton stops his 9500lb trailer with no brakes just as fast as a 1 ton can stop a 40' 5th wheel with no brakes.
Agreed again! The idea that a truck's weight is the biggest factor in detemining that it can stop a trailer behind it is also completely absurd. The size and power of the brakes and the coefficient of friction of the tires has just as much to do with it. (Yes I know the brakes on a 3/4 ton are usually bigger than a 1/2 ton).

Mike134 makes a great point. Everyone likes to point out "how bad it is" to tow near the limits of a 1/2 ton, but hardly anyone ever calls out those who tow near the limit of a 1 ton dually.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:10 AM   #29

Congrats on the new truck. Love that color

It will pull your camper just fine..... and you will be able to stop it just fine. Chevy/Ford/Ram wouldn't post a tow rating on a truck if the it couldn't do it safely. Why would they risk the legal issues if it were a problem?

People have nothing better to do than be negative about everything, especially when they're talking about someone else. Pretty sad. Bet none of these folks get on Fast Lane Trucks YouTube channel and badger them over doing max towing tests up the Ike Gauntlet.
groovezilla79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:15 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTodd View Post
I was about to type the same thing. Cracks me up everytime I read something similar. If you are relying on truck brakes to stop your trailer you are doing it wrong.

I have news for you, sometimes trailer brakes fail for one reason or another and you DO have to depend on the stopping ability of your tow vehicle. To say otherwise is foolish. It happened to me this past summer when one of the electric brake wires got pinched and caused a malfunction of my brakes. Having a properly sized tow vehicle can and does make a difference between having an accident or not.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:47 AM   #31
D W

Quote:

Sure. Just ignore Newton's Laws of Motion with respect to inertia and kinetic energy. Brakes are brakes, right? It's all good.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:55 AM   #32
ysidive

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovezilla79 View Post
Congrats on the new truck. Love that color

It will pull your camper just fine..... and you will be able to stop it just fine. Chevy/Ford/Ram wouldn't post a tow rating on a truck if the it couldn't do it safely. Why would they risk the legal issues if it were a problem?

People have nothing better to do than be negative about everything, especially when they're talking about someone else. Pretty sad. Bet none of these folks get on Fast Lane Trucks YouTube channel and badger them over doing max towing tests up the Ike Gauntlet.
Yes I agree with you the tow ratings from the manufacturer are posted, but they ALL say when properly equipped. These tow ratings are not done with travel trailers with a large frontal area. The properly equipped also means within the payload capacity. Without seeing the door sticker of this truck it is impossible to tell if it is PROPERLY EQUIPPED....that is a very long trailer and a posted tongue weight of over 900 lbs. So we know the real tongue weight will probably be about 1200-1300..... Lets be real this camper is most likely too much for this vehicle.....
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:58 AM   #33

Can we see it hooked up to the rig?
Old 11-24-2021, 11:11 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Sure. Just ignore Newton's Laws of Motion with respect to inertia and kinetic energy. Brakes are brakes, right? It's all good.
It's always been my belief that trailer brakes are nowhere near as capable (or reliable) as the brakes on the tow vehicle. Am I wrong?
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:21 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
It's always been my belief that trailer brakes are nowhere near as capable (or reliable) as the brakes on the tow vehicle. Am I wrong?
They don't have to be 100% as capable as TV brakes to provide assistance. Right?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
They don't have to be 100% as capable as TV brakes to provide assistance. Right?
I was thinking of this post when I commented. Probably should have quoted it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTodd View Post
...I actually am lighter on the brake pedal of my truck when towing the RV as I set the up the trailer brakes do most of the work and actually help stop the truck!...
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:36 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
I have news for you, sometimes trailer brakes fail for one reason or another and you DO have to depend on the stopping ability of your tow vehicle. To say otherwise is foolish. It happened to me this past summer when one of the electric brake wires got pinched and caused a malfunction of my brakes. Having a properly sized tow vehicle can and does make a difference between having an accident or not.
Yes things happen and a 1/2 ton truck can still stop a 10-12K travel trailer once if the trailer brakes fail. When taken to the full extent most "too small a truck for the trailer" debates eventually get wittled down to wear and longevity of components and trailer sway.

Yes too big a trailer with no trailer brakes will fade and wear out truck brakes very quickly, but any 1/2 ton can stop a trailer at it's extreme weight limit one time. If they couldn't the manufacturer's would not be able to rate them that high.

premature wear and trailer sway are the only legitimate reasons to proclaim a truck to small for a trailer. (Yes, you can add acceleration and grade perfomance to the list, but that is just preference and not really a safety issue)

Trailer sway can be prevented with a properly setup WDH or completely eliminated with a projection hitch (hensely or propride).

So once again I maintain a bigger than neccesary truck that is setup improperly is more dangerous than a slightly "too small" truck that is setup properly.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:42 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysidive View Post
These tow ratings are not done with travel trailers with a large frontal area.
Frontal area only negatively effects acceleration and fuel mileage. It does not negatively impact braking perfomance or tow vehicle rear axle loading. Frontal area can have a sligth negative effect on sway, but nothing a properly setup WDH can't prevent or a that a projection hitch can't eliminate.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #39

I'm sure his new truck can pull that very long bumper pull trailer. I did the same with half tons and small fifth wheels for years. But that was back when 3/4 and 1 tons rode like buckboards and I stubborningly stuck to a nice riding 1/2 ton. But the ride difference is no longer a factor.
It is too bad that when buying a new truck he didn't look at 3/4 tons since he was buying anyway. If he ever pulled his trailer with one he would be amazed at how much better the towing experience is as compared to the half ton, especially with that long and heavy a trailer.
I know lots of folks who, like me, kicked themselves for not moving up sooner.
I always advise folks who intend to RV with a towable to start with a 3/4 ton if they need to buy a truck also. Then you have many more options of which trailers you can move up into. And we all know the next RV is rarely smaller
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:35 PM   #40
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
But that was back when 3/4 and 1 tons rode like buckboards and I stubborningly stuck to a nice riding 1/2 ton. But the ride difference is no longer a factor.
I disagree with this, I had a 2014 Silverado 2500, gas and the ride was much worse then my 2009 or 2017 F150, maybe the heavier diesel helps with the ride.

My prior TT was about the same size as the OPs and it towed well with the 2500, it was the other uses of the truck that sent me back to a F150 and then had to downsize the TT as it was not safe with the F150 unless I had over 1500lbs on the tongue which was too much for a half tons payload
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle