Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #1

New Trailer - Advice on WDH

We just picked up our new trailer - a 2014 Rockwood 8329SS. I expect we'll seeking advice on other questions over time, but here's an initial one on weight:

So far, we've just make one trip of about 30 miles or so from the dealership to home. The trailer felt good, stable and smooth on the highway behind our truck. We have a 2008 GMC 2500 HD ext cab 4WD gas, 3.73 and are using an "RV Pro" WD hitch (used with our previous trailer) rated at 10000/1000.

Our truck is rated to pull 9900 pounds, so even if we pull the trailer at maximum gross weight, we should still be under this weight by about 1000 pounds.

Regarding hitch weight, I bought a Sherline tongue weight scale because I was curious about the tongue weight with a second battery installed, two full propane bottles and a few other dealer options. The scale is showing a hitch weight (right at the coupler) of just under 1000 pounds (probably around 975). This is with no cargo on board, but full bottles, 2nd battery, etc.

When we load the trailer I'm expecting that most cargo weight will be above the axles and won't be adding much to the hitch weight. BUT we will have some bedroom and bathroom stuff that could add, say, 100 pounds to the hitch weight, putting us a little over the 1000 pound rating of our WDH.

So my question: Because it's "close" do we stay with the current hitch which seems to work well with the truck/trailer, or do we upgrade to a heavier WDH? And if we do, would it make the ride stiffer?

Any thoughts would really be appreciated!
Nortie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #2

prob just load it and weigh it again but i would just make a couple pulls with the current hitch and see how it feels. if you don't feel comfortable with it then step up to the 1200/12000 lb wdh. you will be over it's spec loaded now for sure or at the least right at it's rated limits but depending on the length of your drive and roads and weather conditions for where you normally or always camp it may not be an issue.

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Retired Trucker/43 years

On my Windjammer, the fresh water tank is at the rear. I found, like a fulcrum, filling the tank caused the tongue weight to go down, of course the gross weight went up. I have the Equalizer 4 point hitch rated at 12,000#
Noneyerbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #4

If you were pushing 1100 lbs, I'd be concerned. A bit over 1000 lbs, I would wait and see how it feels. IIRC, when you are pushing the weight limit of the weight bars, things tend to get bouncy, the rig porpoising, because the bars are not stiff enough to dampen the effects of expansion joints. Conversely, if you have over-rated bars, the ride seems too stiff, as the hitch joint can absorb sudden upsets.

Get a TW reading again when you are fully loaded. Try to keep it at 1000lbs if possible (load more things in the rear as needed). Then see how it feels. If the 2 vehicles don't feel like they are working as a team, then probably time to get the 1200lbs unit.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #5

PS - I use a 10,000/1,000 lbs Equalizer with my trailer loaded to about 5,200 lbs without issue. If Equalizer made an 8,000 lbs model, I would own it. Since they don't, and 6,000 wasn't enough, I got the 10,000 lbs. It has never felt too stiff to me, and I have a pretty short wheelbase SUV compared to the typical pickup.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #6

Brakeman, Noneyerbusiness, dsrace: Thanks for your comments. Helpful.

I ended up buying a 1200/12000 Equalizer 4pt. As I expect to travel with a hitch weight of 1000 pounds, plus or minus 100, this should give me a bit of a tongue weight margin.

So far the things feel good, solid and smooth on the road, though I haven't yet towed in any adverse conditions (road, wind, etc.)

Getting the Equal-i-zer set up properly was a bit of a challenge, and I had to go back to the dealer a few times for adjustments, but I think it's set up fairly well now (maybe with the trailer still almost a half inch higher in the front, but I'll be continuing to be monitoring this.)
Nortie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #7

Except for the large, thin-wall socket needed to attach the ball to the head, adjustments require only basic tools and the instruction manual. You will be much better served by doing these adjustments yourself. It's never good to be too dependant on a stealer/dealer.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #8

New Trailer - Advice on WDH

Last year we pulled the 8315BSS using the Andersen No Sway hitch. The dry tongue weight was in the order of 945lbs. It was easy to install, easy to hitch and unhitch each time. There are no clunks, bangs and groans. It weighs less than traditional WDH hitch setup and leveled the trailer perfectly. It's also rated for tongue weights up to 1400lbs so you don't have to change it if you get a bigger, heavier trailer in the years to come. We only stopped using it because we switched to a 5er. If we ever go back to using a TT that is the hitch I would use.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer