Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

New trailer tongue weight seems odd...

Hi,
I hope that his is the right section for this thread. We just purchased a Puma 32DBKS and after looking at the weights, I was wondering if anyone could tell me why the Dry Weight is listed in the literature as 8703# but the tongue weight is only 758#? Does that seem low to anyone else? I figured that it would be close to 10% but it is listed at approximately 112# less than 10%. We are fine for our town vehicle payload and tow capacity, I just find that most trailer tongue weights are more than 10% in the specs and this one is under... Any opinions or expertise is welcome.
EcoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Dry tongue weights are meaningless. They do not typically include propane or batteries. Anything you load forward of the axles will add to your tongue weight as will your wdh. The ideal tongue weight for travel trailers is 13-15% of loaded tt weight so yes you are right, it is way low. Not sure why though.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:44 PM   #3

Could just be a typo...
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #4

Thanks Anaro, I figure that nothing is determined until I actually take it to the scales when camp ready, it just seemed weird that any other trailers that I looked at had tongue weights advertised heavier than 10% of the weight, but this one was not. It could be that since it has three slides, the gross weight is high, but that the weight is positioned more to the back or over the axles. One slide is at the very back...

Yeah Twisty, I though that it might be as well since another website quoted it as being 1010# tongue weight, which was more what I was imagining, but two other sources had it the same as above.

Looks like I will be taking it to the scales very shortly after delivery...

Thank you for the replies.
EcoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

As stated earlier, listed dry weights are a base model, no options (like air conditioner, awning, etc,). These items will certainly move your center of gravity around quite a bit and that is even before you put YOUR stuff in it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, weight