Old 03-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #21
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakmeat123 View Post
I just recently got my Surveyor 265 RLDS and found the same problem. I have them turned up to 10 and although it gives some assistance there is still a process the dealer said I need to do. (nice of them to tell me after I could have gotten in an accident on the drive home.)

The process is called burnishing. My trailer is hard to get out of its spot so I will just have to wait until dry weather for the ground to cooperate. I guess to "burnish" ( get the coating off) the brakes you have to go at about 30 MPH and then squeeze the manual brake lever to slow the trailer down without assistance from the vehicle. Then repeat the process a few times and then let the brakes cool. The speed you slow down to varies depending who you are listening to. I have not decided what speeds I will try until I watch more videos. I guess you need to get the brakes hot enough to accomplish the change and then again, let them cool. Go online and watch videos under "burnishing" or "burnish brakes".

If this doesn't accomplish the desired changes resulting in the trailer brakes doing the same amount of work as the truck then I will take mine in to get them worked on. It's not worth the potential consequences. The Cougar I had about 11 yrs ago had my TB set on about 4.

What's happening to us is not safe or normal.
Waste of time. Depending on where you live the trailer accumulated hundreds of miles during delivery. The delivery drivers are always in a hurry so the brakes get a good workout.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #22
Happy Camper

If you are checking actual Pin 1 & 2 voltage, be sure you have the right pins. Some of the 7 pin plugs are mounted with the guide slot at the bottom instead of the top. That reverses pin locations.
Good luck
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntgif View Post
If you are checking actual Pin 1 & 2 voltage, be sure you have the right pins. Some of the 7 pin plugs are mounted with the guide slot at the bottom instead of the top. That reverses pin locations.
Good luck
Mine is mounted with the slot at 3 o'clock.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakmeat123 View Post
Just found this. This should be a good plan before using other options.

"Like all new drum brakes, LCI’s Forward Self-Adjusting Brakes should be properly broken in (burnished). LCI recommends a break-in period requiring 20 to 50 brake applications. To burnish the brakes, set the brake controller’s gain to approximately midway or slightly higher (see the brake controller’s owner’s manual for directions). Tow the trailer at about 40 mph, then activate the manual button or lever on the brake controller until the combo slows to 20 or 25 mph. Using only the manual control forces the trailer’s brakes to slow down both the tow vehicle and trailer, which helps burnish the brakes quicker. Braking applications should be conducted at no less than 1-mile intervals to prevent the brake linings from overheating.

Burnishing the pads smooths out any high spots in the brake linings, magnets and drum surfaces. LCI states there should be close to 100 percent contact between the brake lining and drum surface after 50 brake applications, and the driver should notice an increase in brake perform*ance in as little as 10 applications. The brakes on the test trailer became noticeably more effective after the break-in. The trailer has been towed more than 2,000 miles since the installation, and the brakes have functioned evenly and strong with
no noise or excess heat."
Do newer Lippert brakes always come with automatic forward adjusting brakes? My 2015 Coachman has Lippert brakes and they do not forward auto adjust that I know of.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:14 AM   #25

My car hauler was brought in on a trailer , it maybe had 5 miles on it when I picked it up . after 4 trys at the dealer and 3 other calls later we discovered that it needed broke in . luckily I was only hauling 2 4 wheelers when I realized just how bad "self adjusted brakes" work . little over 600 miles on it now and they feel much better , would have been nice to know when I picked it up though
Old 03-27-2018, 08:46 AM   #26

As with you there are very few miles on my trailer as of delivery. It's just over 100 miles from the factory and nearly all of it is freeway. Hopefully my issues will go away also. Happy to hear yours are doing better.
yakmeat123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, trailer, travel, travel trailer