Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 05:55 PM   #1

New truck & WDH set up.

Recently I bought a new F250 & my dealer readjusted my ball height to match my TT. I'm thinking they didn't lower the ball low enough on the shank. When I adjust my WDH to get my TT flat, the F250 noses up about 2" higher than when unloaded while the rear drops about 2". I watched the service guys set up my TV & TT from a distance & never saw them measure a thing. It appeared to me they eye balled the whole set up. From my limited knowledge of WDH systems, it would seem to me my ball height needs to drop to get both level. Am I correct? Thanks...
velorandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by velorandy View Post
Recently I bought a new F250 & my dealer readjusted my ball height to match my TT. I'm thinking they didn't lower the ball low enough on the shank. When I adjust my WDH to get my TT flat, the F250 noses up about 2" higher than when unloaded while the rear drops about 2". I watched the service guys set up my TV & TT from a distance & never saw them measure a thing. It appeared to me they eye balled the whole set up. From my limited knowledge of WDH systems, it would seem to me my ball height needs to drop to get both level. Am I correct? Thanks...
IMHO a 2" rise on your steering tires is recipe for DISASTER!
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Yep, lower the ball. You will likely need to put more tension on the bars too.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
Always Learning

IMO, break out the manual and start from scratch setting it up yourself. The techs, as you found, aren't going to care much how it actually performs.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
IMO, break out the manual and start from scratch setting it up yourself. The techs, as you found, aren't going to care much how it actually performs.
Agreed.

Those ReCurve 6 hitches are very nice; however, it's a dance to set them up. Raising the ball lowers the tension, lowering the ball raises the tension but you can't do just one thing.

From what you're telling us in the original post, it sounds like you need to drop the ball maybe an inch and then tilt the head out a bit more to gain more tension on the bars. This will transfer weight from the rear to the front of the truck and drop the nose of the trailer slightly.

I do agree that you should start from scratch with the hitch though. If i remember correctly, you initially set the ball 1/8" higher than the couple for every 100lbs of tongue weight.

And, the absolute best way to see if things are correct is doing a scale/measurement study on the truck, trailer and WDH. This will tell you if the truck's front axle weight has been retained and the trailer is riding level. Probably the 2 most important things in a WDH proper set up.

Clear as mud?

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:59 PM   #6

Thanks to your all replies, my feelings were the same about the set up & a trip to the scales too. The Recurve 6 manual doesn't go much into ball height, but my understanding of WDH's were as described in the above posts. My biggest challenge will be losening those massive nuts and bolts on the shank. I'm hoping a 2' breaker bar will get it done. I'm kind of geeky about set up & those sorts of things.... so this for me will be "fun".
Old 08-28-2017, 08:46 PM   #7

Quote:
......I'm kind of geeky about set up & those sorts of things.... so this for me will be "fun".
This spreadsheet will satisfy your inner-geekiness completely. PM me if you'd like a copy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck & Trailer Weights 170811.png
Views:	175
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	149986

Old 08-29-2017, 12:49 PM   #8

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
This spreadsheet will satisfy your inner-geekiness completely. PM me if you'd like a copy.

Attachment 149986
Nice spreadsheet!
'17 XLT Screw | Oxford White | FX4 | 3.5L EB | 3.55 ELD | 302A |Chrome Pkg | Max Tow Pkg w/TBC | 36 Gal. Tank | Bak MX4 & BedRug | WeatherTech Deflectors, Floor Liners, & Mud Flaps | VA Navi | SYNC 3 Connect | Tailgate Step & Damper | Husky Liners | Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 275/65R18

My wife and I are looking for our 1st travel trailer.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:26 PM   #9

OK, a follow up on the adjustments I made today (unfortunately not enough time to go a scale today). Input, comments appreciated.

First I lowered the ball assembly to the lowest setting on the shank.

Next I took the following measurements, ground to top of wheel wells on my F250.

Unloaded - front, 40 3/8" rear, 43 3/8"

Loaded without WD bars - front, 40 7/8" rear 41 5/8"

Loaded with HD bars - front, 40 3/8" rear 42 1/8"

FYI - Manufacturers listed dry tongue weight is 770 pounds. I've got about 150 pounds of gear in the forward storage compartment. TT listed dry weight is 5950.

I gotta say, the TT is perfectly level & my F250 looks darn near perfectly level too.

Whatcha towing gurus say about my measurements? I know it's a bit speculative, but curious all the same. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:18 PM   #10

Quote:
OK, a follow up on the adjustments I made today (unfortunately not enough time to go a scale today). Input, comments appreciated.

Next I took the following measurements, ground to top of wheel wells on my F250.

FYI - Manufacturers listed dry tongue weight is 770 pounds. I've got about 150 pounds of gear in the forward storage compartment. TT listed dry weight is 5950.

I gotta say, the TT is perfectly level & my F250 looks darn near perfectly level too.

Whatcha towing gurus say about my measurements? I know it's a bit speculative, but curious all the same. Thanks.
I would take it to the scales. It sounds like you're close with the front end being close to stock, unloaded height and if the trailer is sitting level, that's a good start.

Also factor in if you will carry any water up front in the fresh tank.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:02 PM   #11

Quote:

The front is back where it started and the rear dropped a bit over 1 inch. Some would say that is exactly what you want, others say front and rear should both change the same amount. I would say it would be hard to get it much better than that, go for a drive and see how it feels, you will probably be happy.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck