Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2022, 10:41 AM   #61

Exclamation "Marketing Manuals"

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
So what your saying is ford doesn’t have the confidence in its motor the way Ram has. JK each manual is different Ram says the earlier you tow the better. By the time the op reads all post truck could been broken inAttachment 268168
Brand bashing, really?

Manufacturers employ MARKETING TACTICS in Owner Manuals.

When manufacturers use the manual to try to convince gullible people that they have more confidence in their trucks than other manufacturers, I wouldn't fall for that.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:46 AM   #62

Why on Earth would you not simply follow the mfg's instructions? Oddly, the people who make your vehicle actually want you to have a good experience. They know far more than 99.9% of "experts" in the 'Net.I know it's difficult for those with a "Y" chromosome, but just follow instructions. (Yeah I plagiarized that! ) The instructions are pretty uniform within tolerances across brands with 500 or 600 miles before towing. This will probably be post 62 which is a negligible sample of "what worked for me."

Lots of nuggets buried in the Owners Manual. This appears in one of mine (not a truck):
Quote:
Do not change the oil until the
scheduled maintenance time.
I assume it's due to "special" oil used when the engine is running in. I'm guessing the pure synthetic many of us use is too slippery to allow moving parts to settle in. Anyway RTFM but the sky won't fall if you don't.

-- Chuck
Old 02-01-2022, 12:04 PM   #63

Purchased my 2016 F250 6.7L new....drove it home from the dealer (25 miles) the next day pulled my 7k landscape trailer with it around town.

I did not follow the OM that recommended no towing for the first 500 miles because I need the truck for work and thats what it was purchased for.

I follow the severe duty maintenance schedule that Ford recommends which is oil change every 5000 miles if towing.

I changed the factory oil and filter at 5000 miles and have been using synthetic ever since. I have the oil analized at every 5000 mile oil change. The UOA's come back just fine and sometimes better than average for this engine. FYI my engine did not fully break in until roughly 12,000 miles. This was the point where the wear metals dropped in the UOA samples.

Currently has 67k on the clock. No issues related to driving the truck like it was intended right off the lot.
Old 02-01-2022, 01:20 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirthawg_ View Post
Purchased my 2016 F250 6.7L new....drove it home from the dealer (25 miles) the next day pulled my 7k landscape trailer with it around town.

I did not follow the OM that recommended no towing for the first 500 miles because I need the truck for work and thats what it was purchased for.

I follow the severe duty maintenance schedule that Ford recommends which is oil change every 5000 miles if towing.

I changed the factory oil and filter at 5000 miles and have been using synthetic ever since. I have the oil analized at every 5000 mile oil change. The UOA's come back just fine and sometimes better than average for this engine. FYI my engine did not fully break in until roughly 12,000 miles. This was the point where the wear metals dropped in the UOA samples.

Currently has 67k on the clock. No issues related to driving the truck like it was intended right off the lot.
Where do you get your oil analyzed and what is the price?
Old 02-01-2022, 03:58 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco_Joe View Post
Where do you get your oil analyzed and what is the price?
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

$30 for a standard test. If you want the TBN it's an additional $10

Request sample bottles and they will send you the kits free of charge. Shipping back to them via USPS is also free (or consider it included in the $30 test fee).

He is an example of what the test looks like.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:56 PM   #66

Well, since motorcycles got brought up...

4 miles on the odometer in this photo. Will surpass the 3,000 mile mark on this engine in about a month. 100% of the miles were on a race track.

Diligent maintenance > break-in procedure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	268379  
Greenhound386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:47 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
Brand bashing, really?

Manufacturers employ MARKETING TACTICS in Owner Manuals.

When manufacturers use the manual to try to convince gullible people that they have more confidence in their trucks than other manufacturers, I wouldn't fall for that.

I’m glad you didn’t fall for that right after I “bashed “ I put jk as in just kidding. Now back to my bashing
Old 02-01-2022, 10:17 PM   #68

Pretty much covered, but concur. No break in needed for todays engine and transmission, BUT the systems do need time to learn, which takes 300-500 miles to get fully adapted to your driving. As someone else mentioned, the only thing on the truck that does need wear in are the ring and pinions. If you subject them to too much load right away, they can become damaged. When you see a R&P usually its been in use for a while and have nice shiny teeth, but brand new ones don't, they need to be meshed, and that can take up to 1000 miles. Hence the no towing until 1000 miles in the Ford manuals.

About the only thing that shows up if you stole it off the dealer lot is gear noise, and thats because they weren't meshed properly before put to hard use.

There is also no break in oil like what is used on rebuilt engines, the factory fill is regular oil, the same stuff the OM recommends. Just get in and drive, change the oil when it tells you to, then after that, change it depending on it's use. It's in the OM, so RTFM LOL
Old 02-02-2022, 04:52 AM   #69
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhound386 View Post
Well, since motorcycles got brought up...

4 miles on the odometer in this photo. Will surpass the 3,000 mile mark on this engine in about a month. 100% of the miles were on a race track.

Diligent maintenance > break-in procedure
My motorcycle is 18 years old and runs perfect. I agree that proper maintenance is the key.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:30 AM   #70

HEAT is the enemy in a new engine, as too much heat can distort the internals , causing faster wear , so eventually a shorter life.

Machines now select many of the internals and are far better than when assemblers simply stuck what came on the assembly line in to the engine.

Break in is no big deal if you live in flatland and don't tow heavy loads up hill on day one.

No full throttle till 1,000 miles of mixed speed driving is not hard to do.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:45 AM   #71
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
Pretty much covered, but concur. No break in needed for todays engine and transmission, BUT the systems do need time to learn, which takes 300-500 miles to get fully adapted to your driving. As someone else mentioned, the only thing on the truck that does need wear in are the ring and pinions. If you subject them to too much load right away, they can become damaged. When you see a R&P usually its been in use for a while and have nice shiny teeth, but brand new ones don't, they need to be meshed, and that can take up to 1000 miles. Hence the no towing until 1000 miles in the Ford manuals.

About the only thing that shows up if you stole it off the dealer lot is gear noise, and thats because they weren't meshed properly before put to hard use.

There is also no break in oil like what is used on rebuilt engines, the factory fill is regular oil, the same stuff the OM recommends. Just get in and drive, change the oil when it tells you to, then after that, change it depending on it's use. It's in the OM, so RTFM LOL
"BUT the systems do need time to learn, which takes 300-500 miles to get fully adapted to your driving."
In other words...break in.

"the only thing on the truck that does need wear in are the ring and pinions. If you subject them to too much load right away, they can become damaged."

"It's in the OM, so RTFM LOL"
Agree with this!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:01 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
"BUT the systems do need time to learn, which takes 300-500 miles to get fully adapted to your driving."

"It's in the OM, so RTFM LOL"
Agree with this!
Do you break in your computer? LOL The modules are mini computers, learning how you drive.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:39 PM   #73

Wink jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
I’m glad you didn’t fall for that right after I “bashed “ I put jk as in just kidding. Now back to my bashing
If “jk” excuses everything, then all insults and put-downs are so excused.

But does it? Is bashing still bashing, if thinly veiled by “jk”?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...t%20kidding%21

jk
Old 02-02-2022, 11:28 PM   #74
Camping the Natural State

Quote:

jk
Yes. I meant no. JK. Maybe.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:13 AM   #75

Quote:

jk

We’ll allow me to apologize then for my sarcasm. I have owned every full-size truck brand there is for the most part. The big 3 plus Nissan and Toyota. I enjoyed each and have been very fortunate they all were trouble free. I am very happy with my Ram but that doesn’t mean I’m loyal to them. At the end of the day it’s gonna be what is gonna get me what I want for the price that I can afford.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:46 AM   #76

Wink

No worries, it’s all good. Some of my best friends drive Rams.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:19 AM   #77

Man I hope it’s not 3 in a row I have typed out two long post, my finger hits low on screen and poof it’s gone. Anyway here I go again.

In reference to Slow Moon I grew up thinking I was a Chevy/GM man my first 3 trucks I bought with my own money were Chevy. My next 3 we’re all Ford. I was young traded to often and didn’t understand credit or equity so all were used. The vehicle I regret the most was actually my first new vehicle a suski samari but to be fair I was driving a 92. F250 4x4 before. My first vehicle when I got married was Nissan Titan Since I started towing I have gone Ram Toyota F-150 F 350 Ram Dually 3500( tradesman) now Ram 3500 Dually Laramie I hope to hold on to this one for awhile but when the time comes to change all options are on the table
Old 02-04-2022, 01:06 PM   #78

Wink

Wow, some folks buy more vehicles than I buy shoes! Color me jealous!

Brand Loyalty?—Somebody had to DIE for me to get a diesel truck, so I took what I could get.

I buy used every 15 or 20 years—whether I need it or not! Then I keep ‘em ‘til they’re old enough to drink!

Maybe a "nice" used 2023 F-Ramarado250 for me...in 2029?

I guess I’m only on a truck break-in thread for the humor. I'll never have to do it myself.

Old 02-04-2022, 01:35 PM   #79

Quote:
Wow, some folks buy more vehicles than I buy shoes! Color me jealous!

Brand Loyalty?—Somebody had to DIE for me to get a diesel truck, so I took what I could get.

I buy used every 15 or 20 years—whether I need it or not! Then I keep ‘em ‘til they’re old enough to drink!

Maybe a "nice" used 2023 F-Ramarado250 for me...in 2029?

I guess I’m only on a truck break-in thread for the humor. I'll never have to do it myself.

Is this my brother? Sounds just like him

Except he does one better. Its always a "Ricer" a Toyota.

Attached Images

U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 01:41 PM   #80

Man, this thread just "broke" me up.

Tags
truck