Old 10-17-2019, 04:06 AM   #1

New vs present truck

Looking for opinions. To keep present truck or get a new one. Going to completely retire in 3 years so wife and I are wanting to have everything paid off before hitting the road with RV (RV paid off). Wife says buy I say keep what I have. New $50-60K truck gets to me....

1- Presently own 2006 Dodge ram 3500 diesel. Has 222K miles, Never had any issues. I religiously change the fluids/filter, rotate tires, injector cleaner, everything (little behind on Trans filter changes). Only need new paint job, small stuff-cracked windshield and mirror from a storm. Oh yes AC needs to be fixed, can't find the leak, compressor works as it provide cold air every time I refill with Freon $1200 for new system with labor. No Engine or trans issues (did change out serpentine belt and water pump, belt got hung out and tore up pump). I am thinking $2K to look like new again. Not sure how much longer motor or trans will last before issues?? Never adjusted the valves.

2. Buy new truck, always had Dodge Ram. Too me they are over priced but that is me. Wife likes the new truck smell (heck put an air fresher in mine). Not sure what brand to look for.

3. 2018 Montana High Country RV empty wt. 12,500K so I figure extra 500# of her stuff/food, LOL.

4. So you think new or keep what I got. Thanks

Racer310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:42 AM   #2

I just traded my pull behind and truck (w/plow) for a Class A. I was amazed because I had a 2017 Silverado 2500 LTX w/ 27000 miles and paid $34K new. The dealer (Chevy) gave me $33K straight buy, no trade purchase. Trucks now are ridiculous! Drive it for 2 years for $1000 bucks!

Ohmygodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:18 AM   #3

Keep it.

Your older truck is better than most newer trucks. The EPA has made it difficult to address the shortfalls of the newer trucks which mainly revolve around emissions.

Do some preventative maintenance, slap a new paint job (preferably with flames) and call it good. That thing will run to 500k no problem.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:52 AM   #4

Keep it. I assume you don't have to use DEF. I would not trade down to a 2500 with your trailer.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #5

If you keep your Ram i would suggest that you have the evaporator replaced for your freon leak. If they can't find an external leak it is going to be that. They are very common in that year Chrysler product. What ever you decide good luck and happy camping!
robbiels7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremebike View Post
Keep it. I assume you don't have to use DEF. I would not trade down to a 2500 with your trailer.
The 5.9 was void of any emissions save for maybe a Cat. Doesn't even look like they had an EGR valve either.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:11 AM   #7
Head Rambler

Buy a new truck.

You're going to retire in three years, by then that truck will be 16 years old. You probably have many years to look forward to in retirement so you figure, if you don't buy now you're going to have to buy one in retirement. Do you know what a 20 something year old truck is going to be worth then? Not much, so you'll be looking at buying a new truck with no offset for the one you have now. If you sell your truck now and buy a new one, you'll be better off. There are plenty of people wanting those third gen 5.9's.

As for the brand, they're all good. They've all had time to work out most of the issues. I owned a Dodge with the 5.9 before I got the one I have now and if I were going to buy a 3500/350 I would look at what I need for amenities with a slight edge to the Cummins engine. If they had what I wanted in trim.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #8

My truck/retirement strategy was this. I planned on retiring in 2015 so in 2010 I purchased a 2011 F250 with the idea it would be paid off by 2015. I kept my 1997 F250 for my driver (not daily) and kept the 2011 in the garage only driving it once a week. Retired in 2015 as planned and sold the 97 and started driving the 2011. Now nine years later my truck has 30k on it and will last for many more years.

I understand your schedule may not allow for this strategy.

2011 F250 Lariat 6.2 gas 6 sp auto 3.73 rear 4X4 6.75 bed crew cab

Recurve R6 hitch
Hatchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #9

My retirement gift to myself was my Chevy 2500 Duramax. The one thing to think about, is buy now while you are working and have "extra" money coming in, and the truck will most likely be the last you will need, or hope you do not need to buy or repair in the future when you are on a tighter budget. You are probably going to be stacking a lot more miles on the truck in retirement.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
If you keep your Ram i would suggest that you have the evaporator replaced for your freon leak. If they can't find an external leak it is going to be that. They are very common in that year Chrysler product. What ever you decide good luck and happy camping!
My '02 gasser had a leak in the connection above the inner passenger fender. Dealer could never find it, I found it while putting a cold air intake on. Couldn't miss the oil leak from it. Just follow the lines and hopefully you'll see an oil leak. Also check the hvac drain, it should be in the engine bay on the firewall, for anything other than water leaking out of there if it's the evaporator.
1953 GMC 9314
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #11

Keep it!

500k - 222k = 278,000 trouble free miles ahead!

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #12

I like what Dave Ramsey said.. the cheapest vehicle you'll ever own is the one that's in your garage and paid for. Fix it till the cost of owning the truck outweighs the cost of a new one. You can do a ton for fixing for what you'd pay for a new truck.

My dad tried to justify him buying a new car based on fuel mileage.. I blew his calculation out of the water with some simple math. In the end he agreed that he did it because he wanted a new one not because it was going to save him money.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #13

With a trailer that size I'd go with a 3500. I really like all the trailer features found on the new GM line. The advanced trailering system, with its tire pressure and temperature display on the infotainment screen, is awesome. And all the camera views, if you get that package. And since you'll probably go diesel, the newly tweaked Duramax and Allison 10 speed will make pulling a trailer a piece of cake.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6L 4.10
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #14

I say keep it too. Higher insurance, maybe license and sales tax alone can do a lot of work on the old truck. They all still have forward and reverse, and drive at highway speeds. I have 2004 and it is here to stay. Why throw money away when you need to buy fuel for the new one too.
He already has a 3500. Those new gadgets are just more to go wrong, Ram offers all that stuff too. Plus an engine that doesn't have to hide behind a name to try and cover the past. Over 3 million Rams built with Cummins power, an engine that is used by commercial and industrial users worldwide. I say if the if the Duramax and the Powerstroke are so good why don't they use them on all those industrial applications and why do they keep changing them so much. Eight different engines for Ford alone, Cummins is still there only with a slight increase in bore and stroke. Many parts are still the same and they are easy to service, some of those trucks today you can't even put your hand in the engine compartment without taking something off first .
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:40 PM   #15

Most subtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
My '02 gasser had a leak in the connection above the inner passenger fender. Dealer could never find it, I found it while putting a cold air intake on. Couldn't miss the oil leak from it. Just follow the lines and hopefully you'll see an oil leak. Also check the hvac drain, it should be in the engine bay on the firewall, for anything other than water leaking out of there if it's the evaporator.
The most subtle spot for leaks is the cheapest to fix. The Schrader valves on the lines go bad. $12 buys a new set and the installation takes a couple of minutes. Before blowing big money, replace both valves.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:40 PM   #16

To the OP, stop being a cheapskate and spend 7K on the existing truck. Have the AC system replaced, take it to a diesel shop and have the valves adjusted, suspension and steering brought back to factory and everything else serviced, have the seats reupholstered and carpets replaced. If it needs paint then have a nice paint job put on it and drive the piss out of it for another 10 years and call it good. You'll still be $50K ahead.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #17
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I like what Dave Ramsey said.. the cheapest vehicle you'll ever own is the one that's in your garage and paid for. Fix it till the cost of owning the truck outweighs the cost of a new one.
This^^^^^ I'm a subscriber to Dave Ramsey' school of economics/finance as well. I'm always on the lookout for a deal, but I'll keep what I have as long as it makes $$ sense.

Keep your truck, fix it up, get it detailed and enjoy it.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:56 PM   #18

I agree with most everything said. That being said... IF I could afford it I would have a new(er). I have been driving Dodge/Cummins trucks since '99 and figure it's the best thing going. This era of engines are pretty common to break a piston in the ring land... usually between 250-350K and depending on maintenance and other factors. Nothing 5K won't fix, but it is on my mind. I assume you have the 4L80?? trans and they do eventually wear out.... what is that?? $2500. New truck 60K.... that's why I don't have one.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:25 PM   #19

Wife says buy new. What's to think about? Happy wife, happy life.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #20

Hi,

In contrast to the advice of many here I bought new this year. A leftover 2019, actually.

My 2009 Duramax no doubt had many good miles left in it. But I travel enough distances, and sometimes to out of the way places, to make breakdowns with a big fiver problematic.

Yes, replacing key components is good, and I did that as time passed. But I simply did not want to be at the mercy of some diesel mechanic of unknown quality in West Grasshopper, Utah, or of an unscrupulous dealer who sees a stranded traveler as a pot of money.

If I get ten years out of this one, I'll be 82 years old, and hanging it up anyway in all likelihood. So the joy of a new truck with all the latest bells and whistles goes nicely with the assurance of many years of trouble free towing.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

richp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck