Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2022, 09:28 AM   #1

Question Newbie: Geo Pro 19FBS Sway

I am complete trailer newbie. For a month I have owned a 2021 Geo Pro 19FBS. I am towing it with 2017 Ford Expedition with the HD tow package, which is rated to tow 9000 lbs, so I didn't think the 19FBS would be a problem. But I'm finding the sway on the highway very uncomfortable at anything over 90 kph (56 mph). This seems unreasonably slow to me, I think I really should be able to drive at 100 kph or even a bit higher. The only significant load I have in it is the full propane tanks and two batteries up front, and a full fresh water tank, I carry nothing in but food and clothing. Looking for suggestions as to what I could do to improve the situation.
Carolyn H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:36 AM   #2

re:Newbie: Geo Pro 19FBS Sway

The full tank of fresh water is likely your issue....I camp and fill up at the provincial park and empty my tanks at the dump station when I leave.

Outside of pouring 2-3 liters of water down the toilet itself just to help w/swashing up any solids that might be stuck in the black tank, my 3 tanks are basically empty when I'm travelling down the road (RAM 1500 w/5.7 HEMI towing a Flagstaff Microlite 21 DS).
cunninham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:02 AM   #3
RV There Yet?

you have a short camper like mine. more than likely your fresh water tank is behind your axle on the camper. this is where ours is as well. 30 gallons in that tank is actually removing around 80 lbs of tongue weight and is causing the sway issues. you will want to take a look under your trailer and verify where your fresh tank is located. if its behind trailer axle you will probably want to travel with an empty tank. adding some sort of sway control (like a friction sway bar) will also help. sway is 100% caused by an unbalanced load. get that sorted out and the sway goes away.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
you have a short camper like mine. more than likely your fresh water tank is behind your axle on the camper. this is where ours is as well. 30 gallons in that tank is actually removing around 80 lbs of tongue weight and is causing the sway issues.
Fresh water tank is in front of the axle. I definitely see the point of traveling with it empty, just thought it would be good to have water for drinking and flushing at lunch and potty breaks. Guess that can be solved by carrying a few bottles of water.

As I google things, I am thinking that I really need a WDS with swap control. Is that the only thing that I can add to help with sway? I have had people say "add a sway bar to the trailer" - don't know what that is or whether it actually would help?
Old 07-26-2022, 10:22 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn H View Post
Fresh water tank is in front of the axle. I definitely see the point of traveling with it empty, just thought it would be good to have water for drinking and flushing at lunch and potty breaks. Guess that can be solved by carrying a few bottles of water.

As I google things, I am thinking that I really need a WDS with swap control. Is that the only thing that I can add to help with sway? I have had people say "add a sway bar to the trailer" - don't know what that is or whether it actually would help?
You don't have a WDH(weight distribution hitch)with sway control!
Then that's the place to start. That trailer will have a heavy tongue weight for its size because of the single axle. It will easily be over 500lbs which requires a WDH.
I can't believe that the dealer let you leave the lot without a WDH.
Read the Towing section of your Expy's owners manual.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You don't have a WDH(weight distribution hitch)with sway control!
Then that's the place to start. That trailer will have a heavy tongue weight for its size because of the single axle. It will easily be over 500lbs which requires a WDH.
I can't believe that the dealer let you leave the lot without a WDH.
X2 there are too many things we do not know here. A WDH with sway control is a good idea. With your trailer hitched up are you sitting level? If the rear of the TV is sitting low a WDH is a must. Tires on your TV are they P rated or LTs.

What does the TV door sticker say as far as capacity ?

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH
That's exactly the WDH I was looking at right now. Frankly, I understood the concept of a WDH for weight distribution, and didn't think i needed one because my tow vehicle seems like overkill for the weight of the trailer. But now that I am beginning to understand that (a) the specified trailer weight, especially tongue weight is fiction, and (b) WDH also impacts sway control, today I will be getting making an appointment to have a 4pt Equal-i-zer WDH installed.

Should I go and get my trailer wight and tongue weight measured?
Old 07-26-2022, 10:47 AM   #8

I have a G20BHS, so very similar in size and weight. I have never experienced any sway. I'm using the E2 WDH that the dealer sold me (it's okay, does the job). I would not drive it without one.

The manual states that my tongue weight is something like 460 lbs. Once loaded up with propane, batteries, food, etc., it's significantly more. If I am fully loaded and have a full fresh water tank (it's at the front of the trailer, like yours), my tongue weight is well over 800 lbs. Minimize the water and load carefully and I'm under 700 lbs.

I usually tow with about 5 gallons of water in the fresh water tank for hand washing and bathroom breaks along the way. I don't ever drive with it full as it's just too heavy and more water than I need while on the road.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Should I go and get my trailer wight and tongue weight measured?
That's where I would start before I throw money at every suggestion you receive. A trailer that light should not be swaying on a rig like yours. I have no sway issues with my trailer that is even heavier than yours, whether the fresh water tank is empty or full. I'm running about 14 percent on the tongue weight. Your vehicle was tested with P-Metric tires with a 9000 lb trailer. Getting LT tires will not solve your problem. My Silverado came with P-Metric tires and I have no issues with them. So start with getting an accurate weight of your trailer and tongue weight with the trailer set up as it would be when you head out on a trip.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That's where I would start before I throw money at every suggestion you receive. A trailer that light should not be swaying on a rig like yours. I have no sway issues with my trailer that is even heavier than yours, whether the fresh water tank is empty or full. I'm running about 14 percent on the tongue weight. Your vehicle was tested with P-Metric tires with a 9000 lb trailer. Getting LT tires will not solve your problem. My Silverado came with P-Metric tires and I have no issues with them. So start with getting an accurate weight of your trailer and tongue weight with the trailer set up as it would be when you head out on a trip.
Thanks, I agree, knowing the numbers is the best way to start. I am going to get a WDH, because it really just makes sense to have one. I also notice that the Expedition specs specify use of a WDH. But I will not do any more than that without getting the weights.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks, I agree, knowing the numbers is the best way to start. I am going to get a WDH, because it really just makes sense to have one. I also notice that the Expedition specs specify use of a WDH. But I will not do any more than that without getting the weights.
Manufacturers usually require a WDH above a certain weight threshold. For my Silverado, it's 7000 lbs. My 192RBS trailer came with a WDH, so I still use it, even though I'm below that weight. With my smaller trailer, I don't use one and have no issues whatsoever. With your setup, it certainly can't hurt.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19fbs, geo pro, newbie, sway