Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2018, 03:31 PM   #1

Newbie Question

Hi all,

I'm new to trailer camping, still in the research stage. I'm leaning strongly towards a GeoPro 19 FD. Has anyone had experience pulling this trailer with a late-model ~2014 Nissan Frontier (V-6, 4 WD version). The numbers seem to work but I would appreciate anyone's experience with this truck/trailer combo before I jump in to it.
Thanks!
Davens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davens View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to trailer camping, still in the research stage. I'm leaning strongly towards a GeoPro 19 FD. Has anyone had experience pulling this trailer with a late-model ~2014 Nissan Frontier (V-6, 4 WD version). The numbers seem to work but I would appreciate anyone's experience with this truck/trailer combo before I jump in to it.
Thanks!
Our first trailer came in at a total combined weight of 2900 lbs. we pulled it with a 2014 Frontier with a 4 cyl automatic. You will be fine. But . . . You will enjoy it so much that you’ll want to move up. So in a couple years plan on a new truck and trailer.

“Always do what’s right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest” – Albert Einstein
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
Scoundrel

Hi Davens,

Welcome to the forums! I have a Micro-Lite 19fd which is very very similar to the Geo-Pro 19fd that you're looking at. I pulled it for one year with a 2007 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab, V6 4x4 with a revamped and lifted suspension. In the end, I found the TT to be too much for the Frontier (although Frontier payloads are somewhat better than most would expect).

For one, the advertised hitch weight of the camper is an enticing 398lbs. Measured, its over 500lbs (with two batteries, propane, etc). If you check the yellow payload sticker on your drivers side door jamb ("Cargo and occupants should not exceed.....lbs) you'll find your limitation right there. The weight of you, your passengers, dogs, kids, camping gear and tongue weight of the trailer all added up should not exceed that number or you'll be over taxing the rear axle (weight) and the entire drivetrain of the truck. Don't forget to add in another 100lbs for a weight distributed hitch. Does your truck have a topper? That adds another 150lbs...

I think you see where this is going... I did it for a year and it was a mistake. I ended up selling the Frontier and purchasing a different truck just because of the payload numbers.

If you'd like, post up your payload number from the yellow sticker on the door jamb and we can be more precise and perhaps more helpful.

Rich J.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #4

I don't know the towing capacity of your tow vehicle but I tow my E-Pro 19FBS with my 2017 Toyota Highlander (with tow package). I've driven over 500 miles on two trips with no problems at all.

2018 Forest River Flagstaff E-PRO 19FBS
2107 Toyota Highlander
NC_RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:55 PM   #5

Thank you all for sharing your experience and input. I can see I'm right at the Frontier's load limit, and I need to think carefully about this. I don't have a TV yet, so I'm getting the truck specs online. Is it OK to be right at the load limit if i'm under the max tow capacity or should I keep the load on the vehicle down around 80% like the tow weight?
Davens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davens View Post
Thank you all for sharing your experience and input. I can see I'm right at the Frontier's load limit, and I need to think carefully about this. I don't have a TV yet, so I'm getting the truck specs online. Is it OK to be right at the load limit if i'm under the max tow capacity or should I keep the load on the vehicle down around 80% like the tow weight?
Worry about payload capacity first, then towing capacity.
You'll always run out of payload capacity before towing capacity.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:01 AM   #7
Scoundrel

Towing Capacity = how much you can pull. There is no weight on the bicyclist.
Payload Capacity = how much weight the bicyclist can support.

The bicyclist can pull much more than he can support. The more weight you put on your tow vehicle the more wear and tear you place on the rear axle and transmission.

BTW, my F150 with a V8 gets better gas milage than my V6 Frontier, both towing and not towing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream-1947.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	181051  

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags