RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #41
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 8,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
My guess...After it was delivered to dealer they lube the axles as part of their "inspection" using an automatic grease gun and blew your inner seal greasing the brakes along with the bearings.

Well intentioned maybe, but bless their hearts. At least they looked? This way you can blame the dealer that already said they were working when they were not.
Our RV had the same problem but not quite as severe, and I believe the same thing. They probably had someone "grease" the hubs before delivery and I really do believe that they just went out there and 'shot' some grease into the zerks without following the proper procedure and that caused the grease to force past the seals.

Having said that, I would be very suspicious of the grease on the shoes to be the only problem. Especially given the fact that you pulled the breakaway cable and got no braking. Even if the shoes were coated with grease by applying 12 volts to the magnets you would get a little braking. I'm sure you plan to, but be wary once they say they have it fixed. You've heard that before.
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Nevada
Posts: 476
I just picked up a used Rockwood and had no brakes on the way home. It turned out to just be tarnish on the plug in to the TV. A red dot but no numbers were showing on my Draw Tite brake controller. Now it is working fine.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,855
I think the award goes to DBLEDAN... makes perfect sense to me. Dealer service would include a grease job to "ensure no bearing problems" and help a valued customer.
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #44
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Don't always blame the dealers for this...

I stopped at a Big O tire store to get a tire patched on my previous TT and caught the tire guy getting ready to spritz the EZ Lubes as part of their service.

Glad I was standing there so I could stop him ..
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I think the award goes to DBLEDAN... makes perfect sense to me. Dealer service would include a grease job to "ensure no bearing problems" and help a valued customer.
Thanks for that, it sure feels like I am getting a premium lube job.
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #46
Just as confused as you
 
Scrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: south central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Good catch, I do not recall seeing an EZ lube Zerk fitting on the center of my hub caps. My TT has those fancy aluminum wheels and all I recall seeing is a plain center cap.
And yes, I have electric brakes, not hydraulic surge brakes.

If your TT has the EZ Lube the zerk will be under the center cap. Not all trailers have them but they are one of the reasons for improper lubrication.
__________________
Richard & Jill
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Classic Super Lite
2018 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4WD All Star Edition
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
If your TT has the EZ Lube the zerk will be under the center cap. Not all trailers have them but they are the reason for improper lubrication.
If his trailer has a brand new Lippert frame and standard leaf springs, he will.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
If his trailer has a brand new Lippert frame and standard leaf springs, he will.
Good to know, perhaps too much grease was applied with a grease gun by a well meaning service technician. We will never know.
BTW, since my batteries will go dead while it sits at the dealer, will the total discharge damage them?
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
BTW, since my batteries will go dead while it sits at the dealer, will the total discharge damage them?
Absolutely yes!


Just disconnect them.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:42 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Absolutely yes!


Just disconnect them.
Ok, I'd rather remove them and let them sit on the Battery Tender at home.
I will stop by the dealer tomorrow.
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:51 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 571
Your dealer sounds as if they are completely incompetent. I would pickup my trailer and find a good independent mechanic to fix the brakes.
The drum brakes in a Lippert axle are about as simple as brakes get.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:11 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
Your dealer sounds as if they are completely incompetent. I would pickup my trailer and find a good independent mechanic to fix the brakes.
The drum brakes in a Lippert axle are about as simple as brakes get.
Me too...or just fix the damn things myself. I would never bring my trailer to a dealer and let it sit for any amount of time.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Me too...or just fix the damn things myself. I would never bring my trailer to a dealer and let it sit for any amount of time.
Yes, I know my way around drum brakes too. It's fun having the service "advisor" tell me what's wrong when I know it's BS. I would love to fix the brakes myself but there is something about using the factory warranty as it was intended, to pay for screwups caused by the factory.
For now, I will play the warranty game since I am entitled to it.
The finance manager hard selled an extended warranty for $2000 (later dropped to $1500) when I bought the trailer. Fortunately I declined the offer. I can't imagine going through all this hassle after the factory warranty expires next February.
As it is, I am mad at myself for the missed PDI checks and driving away with no brakes when I took delivery.
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,465
I stopped by the dealer today to remove the batteries and have a look at the brakes. The trailer was up on jack stands and both wheels/drums were removed. The brake parts and backing plates were clean, new and fresh looking, just like you would expect with any brand new part. There was no brake dust on any of the components.
The friction surface of the shoes on both the right and left sides had a jet black, glossy smooth contamination on the center two-thirds of the arc of the shoe. The ends of all four shoes were clean and undisturbed tan color friction material.
The black material left an ink like transfer on my fingers.
Both drums looked clean and undamaged with no scoring or heat discoloration.
If I had to make an educated, amateur mechanic guess as to what happened, the brake installer at Lippert failed to wipe down and clean the brake drums before sliding them onto the spindles.
Failing to remove the metal preservative commonly known as "Cosmoline" with Brake-Kleen subsequently contaminated the brake shoes.
A set of new shoes would get me back on the road within the hour. I am tempted to forget the warranty claim bureaucracy and just paying outright for the $60 pair shoes.
Of course I would most likely learn the shoes are not in stock and are on back order.
I wanted to take a photo but the service "advisor" was breathing down my neck. I will sneak back over after they close to snap a photo.
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:44 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I stopped by the dealer today to remove the batteries and have a look at the brakes. The trailer was up on jack stands and both wheels/drums were removed. The brake parts and backing plates were clean, new and fresh looking, just like you would expect with any brand new part. There was no brake dust on any of the components.
The friction surface of the shoes on both the right and left sides had a jet black, glossy smooth contamination on the center two-thirds of the arc of the shoe. The ends of all four shoes were clean and undisturbed tan color friction material.
The black material left an ink like transfer on my fingers.
Both drums looked clean and undamaged with no scoring or heat discoloration.
If I had to make an educated, amateur mechanic guess as to what happened, the brake installer at Lippert failed to wipe down and clean the brake drums before sliding them onto the spindles.
Failing to remove the metal preservative commonly known as "Cosmoline" with Brake-Kleen subsequently contaminated the brake shoes.
A set of new shoes would get me back on the road within the hour. I am tempted to forget the warranty claim bureaucracy and just paying outright for the $60 pair shoes.
Of course I would most likely learn the shoes are not in stock and are on back order.
I wanted to take a photo but the service "advisor" was breathing down my neck. I will sneak back over after they close to snap a photo.
I would just buy new shoes, seals and USA bearings while you are at it.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:39 PM   #56
RCW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 117
One of my concerns as far as the dealer goes would be that they led you to believe that they were function checking the brakes and they were working for them. The problem they have found would not be an intermittant problem.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
One of my concerns as far as the dealer goes would be that they led you to believe that they were function checking the brakes and they were working for them. The problem they have found would not be an intermittant problem.
The dealer service technicians told me they checked the proper operation of the brakes by lifting a wheel with a jack and attempting to turn the wheel by hand. If the wheel could not be turned, they assumed the brakes were working.
I remain skeptical especially since one of their diagnosis showed zero voltage at the wires leading to the magnets. This was shown to me in my presence.
I also think shoe contamination with grease would "burn off" during break in.
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:36 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I also think shoe contamination with grease would "burn off" during break in.
I wouldn't think that.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I wouldn't think that.
I hope you are right.
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hills of Northwestern PA
Posts: 1,217
There is a spray on brake cleaner available at auto parts stores. If you buy expensive pads or shoes and accidentally get some grease on them, you gonna throw them away?
__________________
2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS flipped axle
2019 Ford F-150 S-Crew 5.5 bed V8 w/tow package, TBC, Tow Mirrors, 3.55, 7000# GVWR, 1990#CC
Husky Centerline TS WDH 400-600# spring bars
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brakes, trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 AM.