Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #1

North Carolina Weighted Tag ?

Can anyone verify if the below paragraphs are correct ? I recently moved to NC 6 months ago and got a weighted tag for my 2015 Ram 2500 the girl at the DMV told me I need to get it for the weight of the truck plus whatever trailer I was towing so I got an 18K tag (10K for the Truck and 8K for the trailer) My understand is now a towable camper is exempt but if I have a boat, utility trailer, horse trailer, etc I would be required to have the proper weight on the tag. So I guess my question is when my registration runs out in Jan 2018 I was just going to get a 10K weighted tag to cover the truck since I have no plans to tow any other type of trailer. Is my thinking correct ?

In North Carolina, a vehicle that is towing anything other than a recreational vehicle (such as a pull-along camper) is required to have a weighted plate when towing. If you are pulling a camper, you don’t need a weighted plate. But you’ll probably need one if you are pulling a utility trailer or boat trailer, depending on the weight.
The rules generally apply to trucks. If you can pull your trailer with a large car or SUV, you won’t need a weighted tag.
All trailers in North Carolina must have some form of plate on the trailer itself. The weighted tag needs to be on the truck.

Private, noncommercial pickup trucks, registered with regular “First in Flight”-type license tags, may trailer a combined total load of up to 9,000 pounds. If the total is heavier, a weighted license tag is required with enough capacity to cover the entire combined load of the truck, anything carried in the bed of the truck, the passengers of the truck, the trailer and whatever is being carried on/in the trailer. So if you have a 6,000-pound truck pulling a 1,500-pound trailer carrying a 4,000-pound boat, then you need a weighted tag because the combined weight (11,500 pounds) is more than 9,000 pounds.

If the towed load is heavier than 10,000 pounds a class A drivers license is required. For towing less, a class C license is fine.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #2

Your thinking is correct. You do NOT need it for the trailer being towed, recreational trailers are exempt.. I have it printed right of the states website and have it with me in my truck in case I'm ever hassled over it.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #3

I have weighted tags on my trucks because they're a part of my business. They pull landscape trailers.

But if I didn't have a business need, I'd get the minimum tags on even my F450. They're just too danged expensive.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
I have weighted tags on my trucks because they're a part of my business. They pull landscape trailers.

But if I didn't have a business need, I'd get the minimum tags on even my F450. They're just too danged expensive.
I have 8000lb tags on my 2500.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #5

I had 10K tags on my F350 even though post says 11,500. NC DMV suggested the Partially Disabled Veteran plate. Pulling the Montana with the new plate, but pay the 10K rate.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Your thinking is correct. You do NOT need it for the trailer being towed, recreational trailers are exempt.. I have it printed right of the states website and have it with me in my truck in case I'm ever hassled over it.

Can you share a link? I find the website (any of our states websites) too damn confusing to navigate.

I've heard such widely varying answers from the tag office to Highway patrol officers that I have mine registered for 23,000lbs. Would sure be nice to drop it down to 10k!!!!
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #7

I looked at the NCDOT website and it seemed to say it was truck weight plus pin weight. I looked some more and the regulations say that rv's are exempt, so you don't have to have weighed tags. I know my trainer tags for my Cedar Creek are very little, I think mine are about $16 bucks. I have a trailer that I haul my lawn mower on and I tried to put tags on the trailer and it would cost as much as it cost to title my Cedar Creek. So there is no tags on that trailer
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #8

I would love to see that link as well. I asked again at the DMV and they said I had to in life the trailer weight. Would love to cut that bill coming up in September.
Bobh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #9

Being in California, I was wondering... so what is the yearly registration an weight fee(total) for your Dodge 2500 and the yearly fee on your trailer?

Looks like NC has the same law as California, if your trailer is over 10,000 you need a RV endorsement on you license.
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobh62 View Post
I would love to see that link as well. I asked again at the DMV and they said I had to in life the trailer weight. Would love to cut that bill coming up in September.
I'll look it up again for you guys tomorrow when i have a few free moments at my office.. I never kept the link, simply printed out what I needed and let it go.. But I'll dig it up again!

Here it is..
According to the Title Registration Manual Section 2 Chapter 1 page 3

"Camping Trailers and Fifth Wheels - This unit can be equipped with the same as the conventional travel trailer but is constructed with a raised forward section that allows a bi-level floor plan. This style is designed to be towed by a vehicle equipped with a device known as fifth wheel hitch. Camping trailers are not to be included in the weight declared for license on a truck, if used only for recreational purposes. License weight on the truck should include the tongue part that is in the truck only, not full weight of camper".
Old 08-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I'll look it up again for you guys tomorrow when i have a few free moments at my office.. I never kept the link, simply printed out what I needed and let it go.. But I'll dig it up again!

Here it is..
According to the Title Registration Manual Section 2 Chapter 1 page 3

"Camping Trailers and Fifth Wheels - This unit can be equipped with the same as the conventional travel trailer but is constructed with a raised forward section that allows a bi-level floor plan. This style is designed to be towed by a vehicle equipped with a device known as fifth wheel hitch. Camping trailers are not to be included in the weight declared for license on a truck, if used only for recreational purposes. License weight on the truck should include the tongue part that is in the truck only, not full weight of camper".

My take away from that is what I thought from the beginning, your weighted tag should be for the gvwr of your truck. That agrees with what my truck dealership told me.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:43 PM   #12

A Class A NC drivers license is required if combined GVWR is 26,001 and higher OR the trailer being towed is over 10,001. Page 10 and 11:

handbooks_NCDL_English.pdf

Anybody have a non-commercial NC Class A?
Old 08-11-2017, 12:51 AM   #13

What is the cost of plates there?
Old 08-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #14

It's easy to get a non-commercial license in NC, you are supposed to score higher on your written test but the last time I tried to get them DMV talked me out of them, told me they weren't needed. I checked my registration and my tag is thirty bucks. I have to pay county tax and that was $160.00 on a $20,000.00 camper, I have a Cedar Creek and I should be paying more tax on that but I'm not complaining about that
Old 08-11-2017, 07:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by duradiesel View Post
What is the cost of plates there?

The plate one the RV is somewhere around $25 per year. The plate on my truck (23000 pounds) is close to $500 per year.

Ouch!
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:54 AM   #16

In NC you can get a Class A drivers license that's only good for driving in state, farmers get them and you can pull a 80,000 lb truck but only in NC. The licensing gets confusing in NC, DMV told me RV's were exempt as long as you won't pulling for hire.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #17

RVs are mentioned on page 10/11 of the handbook stating if the pulled rv is over 10,001. I'm not going to go farther with it. I'll continue on with a class C quietly.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #18

I live in NC. I have a 2003 Dodge 3500 with a weight of about 7100 pounds. My 5th wheel is about 13,000 pounds.
I just got my latest truck registration and it costs $113 per year.
My camper has a separate tag, and I get a bill on that based on its tax value plus the registration (that's how NC does its registration bills, they send each county the taxes on the value, and they keep the registration fee)
Anyway, there is no "weighted fee" for either the truck or camper. That's because RVs are exempt.
If you tow anything commercially, then you must pay the weighted fee.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
I live in NC. I have a 2003 Dodge 3500 with a weight of about 7100 pounds. My 5th wheel is about 13,000 pounds.
I just got my latest truck registration and it costs $113 per year.
My camper has a separate tag, and I get a bill on that based on its tax value plus the registration (that's how NC does its registration bills, they send each county the taxes on the value, and they keep the registration fee)
Anyway, there is no "weighted fee" for either the truck or camper. That's because RVs are exempt.
If you tow anything commercially, then you must pay the weighted fee.
In Ca. the only way to get out of weight fee on a Pickup truck is to enclose the bed permanently... (and not for hire) so you make it a van!!! even if you have one of those SUT you have to pay weight fee!
Then any trailer (5th, TT) registration plus luxury tax... my old 1997 30 foot 5th Kitt Companion was $90 a year.
Now my 2007 Dodge 2500 truck..... the first year I bought it in 2007 the tags were $1200... next year was $1100 the year after $1050, year after $900...this year $400 plus I have to smog it so another $65, only have to smog every other year!! Reg Fee, Weight Fee, and luxury tax!!!
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #20

In NC you buy a truck tag for the weight of the truck and the weight your bumper tow/5er places on your truck. The weight of the trailer axles are exempt if RV. If you use your truck in business and your business logo is on side of your truck then your RV is not exempt. These exemptions actually come from the USDOT. Any other trailer (not RV) has to figure in on your truck weight as a combination. There use to be a warning on the back of our license that stated if you hauled a trailer of ANY KIND with trailer GVW over 10,000#s you needed a different class license (not commercial). To get this driver license you have to go to DMV office with a trailer for your driving test.
Cumminz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight