Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #21
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
The dealer gave him the correct information on a trailer that large you should have two air-conditioners!!!
X eleventy on that!

Looks like about the same length of our former V-Lite. Wouldn't have wanted to try that with one A/C for the trip we took to Pigeon Forge in August last year...*hot* days, cool nights.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #22

I was on I95 near Richmond Va yesterday and saw a truck towing a TT and all the windows were open on the trailer, inside curtains flapping on the breeze and about 70 mph. Think anyone was inside ???
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #23

Probably a hard left followed by a hard right, followed by Newtons Laws becoming very important.
Two AC units so maybe a 31BHS; that is a long trailer for a short bed truck. I wish we could see if a WDH was in there. I suspect it was not since the truck is not on its side as well, but I could certainly be incorrect about that.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #24

While we're all guessing what happened here, I think the two AC units made it top heavy, then a lane change....BAM its over.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #25
Anacortesians

I don't understand the American paranoia about towing capability. My uncle towed a coachbuilt (proounced "heavy") 18' TT all over Europe for 15 years or more. The first 5 years his TV was a 55 HP (on a good day) Austin Cambridge sedan with drum brakes. The rest of the time, he towed with an Austin Maxi, front wheel drive, 1.8L four-banger, maybe 90 horsepower. At least it had front disc brakes. They tackled the German Black Forest, the Italian Alps and all over Europe many times in that 15 years. Sure, they weren't the fastest thing on the road, but they never had a wreck.

Why the hell is a 3.5L V-6 minivan (a Kia Sedone which we have) with disk brakes and rated to tow 6600 pounds in Europe, limited to 3500 pounds in the US? Are we US residents such rotten drivers that we can't be trusted, or are the trailer manufactureres and dealers so scared of the liability lawyers they fudge the numbers to protect their butts?

When we'd lived in the US two years, we rented a travel trailer. When we showed up with a 200 cu. in. 6 cylinder Ford Falcon, the renting agency threw a hissy fit. Initially, they refused to rent to us. Eventually, they insisted that I sign a laibility waiver that stated they considered my tow vehicle to be totally inadequate. We signed it, having no idea of its ramifications, and had a very good 2 week trip to California (Big Sur area) with no problems.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:46 AM   #26

US roads were mostly designed for high speed commerce. European roads were designed for Roman chariots. Whole different speed spectrum. Friend of mine has a 1940 dump truck with I believe a 283. It coild haul many tons; just not fast.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #27
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
US roads were mostly designed for high speed commerce. European roads were designed for Roman chariots. Whole different speed spectrum. Friend of mine has a 1940 dump truck with I believe a 283. It coild haul many tons; just not fast.
I think the roman chariot thing is just a bit dated, how many highways do you have where there is no limit on your speed and its not because there slow.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #28
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I think the roman chariot thing is just a bit dated, how many highways do you have where there is no limit on your speed and its not because there slow.
Here in the US of A? I don't know of any, and if they exist I don't want DH to find out where they are.

Edit: He walked thru and I read this to him. His response as he rubbed sleep from his eyes: I think maybe Wyoming has one. ACK!

Old 07-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #29
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Here in the US of A? I don't know of any, and if they exist I don't want DH to find out where they are.

Edit: He walked thru and I read this to him. His response as he rubbed sleep from his eyes: I think maybe Wyoming has one. ACK!
I thought you were already on the way to get Buffy and new tires? How's the headache?
Old 07-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #30
NELA

[QUOTE=F and E Damp;650829]I don't understand the American paranoia about towing capability. My uncle towed a coachbuilt (proounced "heavy") 18' TT all over Europe for 15 years or more. The first 5 years his TV was a 55 HP (on a good day) Austin Cambridge sedan with drum brakes. The rest of the time, he towed with an Austin Maxi, front wheel drive, 1.8L four-banger, maybe 90 horsepower. At least it had front disc brakes. They tackled the German Black Forest, the Italian Alps and all over Europe many times in that 15 years. Sure, they weren't the fastest thing on the road, but they never had a wreck.[QUOTE]

1. I wouldn't call DH and myself paranoid.
2. How many years ago was it that your uncle was towing "all over Europe"?
Time does change things; more traffic congestion, etc.
3. The entire world, not just the US of A, has become a much
more litigious society.

As for how there are lawyers on every corner; I wouldn't blame it on lawyers per se. It's supply and demand. And because we have become such a litigious society (A mid grade fender bender with a mid grade injury? "Someone ran a red light honey, I'm headed for the hospital in an ambulance, call the lawyer first then meet me there!") we must all carry higher insurance coverage.

I guess I just place it in the same category as; "Just because you have the *right* to do something, that doesn't mean it's the *right* thing to do."

Old 07-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #31
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I thought you were already on the way to get Buffy and new tires? How's the headache?
PPPPFFFTTTTT! We leave at 9:00. And after I got the neck stretcher out and gained an inch or two in height the noggin' stopped puttin' the hurt on me.

(we seriously need a 'raspberry' emoticon on this forum!)

:raspberry:

Old 07-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #32
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
I don't understand the American paranoia about towing capability. My uncle towed a coachbuilt (proounced "heavy") 18' TT all over Europe for 15 years or more. The first 5 years his TV was a 55 HP (on a good day) Austin Cambridge sedan with drum brakes. The rest of the time, he towed with an Austin Maxi, front wheel drive, 1.8L four-banger, maybe 90 horsepower. At least it had front disc brakes. They tackled the German Black Forest, the Italian Alps and all over Europe many times in that 15 years. Sure, they weren't the fastest thing on the road, but they never had a wreck.

Why the hell is a 3.5L V-6 minivan (a Kia Sedone which we have) with disk brakes and rated to tow 6600 pounds in Europe, limited to 3500 pounds in the US? Are we US residents such rotten drivers that we can't be trusted, or are the trailer manufactureres and dealers so scared of the liability lawyers they fudge the numbers to protect their butts?

When we'd lived in the US two years, we rented a travel trailer. When we showed up with a 200 cu. in. 6 cylinder Ford Falcon, the renting agency threw a hissy fit. Initially, they refused to rent to us. Eventually, they insisted that I sign a laibility waiver that stated they considered my tow vehicle to be totally inadequate. We signed it, having no idea of its ramifications, and had a very good 2 week trip to California (Big Sur area) with no problems.

IMO, most of it's due to the ability of lawyers to sue for anything and get something, no matter the circumstance...that keeps all of us a little punch drunk when thinking about what we can do vs what we suppose to do according to a manufactures limitations.

In fact, a forum member here not long ago posted that his homeowner's insurance had to pay out a settlement to someone who crashed their car on the side of the street due to the homeowners dog chasing a squirrel through the yard into the street. The dog didn't even leave the yard...driver try to miss the darting squirrel, crashed and wham, driver sued everybody they could think of for their senseless driving and gets paid!

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear

Old 07-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #33
NELA

Add to that Cajun Po-Boy, the fact that these days there's the "El Nopay" lawyers: you don't have to pay us a penny unless we get you some money!

GRRRRRRR!

Old 07-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #34
DDC

Getting back to the original posting, anyone ever find out what caused this, wind, bad driving, stupidity, there must be a reason reported somewhere.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #35

Nothing further on the news around here, but i'll do some digging
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #36

According to LSP troop D reports, an 18 wheeler swerved in front of him and then hit brakes because of slow traffic; Camper driver swerved to left to miss the stopping 18 wheeler and lost control of truck and camper
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post

No, they are not better drivers. In fact I have seen many tt's turned upside down on the Autobahn. The answer is the legal speed limit of 80kp/h (50mph) and we all know that you very seldom get into trouble below 50 or driving uphill. Also their travel trailers are a lot shorter and lighter with a maximum tongue weight of 110# - 165#.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Nahhh, had it been a Chevy it would have ripped the entire arse end off it.

Hahaha. Love it. Go Ram!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #39

Also, years ago, vehicles actually had FRAMES. Most today do not. That reduces the towing capacity, since the it's mostly folded sheet metal (i.e., the cars body) that is now taking the load.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #40

The front cap looks like a 2012-2014 LaCrosse. The smaller awning & location of the A/C & vents look like possibly the roof of a 329BHT (educated guess).... If so, with the 2nd A/C it would have a dry weight of approx. 9,000, gross of 11,280, and a hitch weight of 1,100+ factoring-in the 2nd A/C but not any extra gear... So, definitely too much for a 1/2 ton.

The truck is turned-around pretty far so IMO the accident was caused by a quick deceleration of a maxed-out rig escalated by other factors that may or may not been the fault of the driver.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote