Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2022, 01:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Old guys have been trained to change oil at 3,000 miles. Then it was 5,000. Now its 15,000.
Relax.
Every oil change interval since the first one was put in an owner's manual has had a caveat ------- more frequently in severe service.

Severe service has always been defined as Stop and Go, Towing, etc. In reality, few vehicles really operate under "normal conditions" which would probably could occur when one merely drives long highway miles with a modest load.

Oil is cheap. I change mine before long trips and at 5,000 mile intervals the rest of the time. My last engine failure was on a 1952 ford "flathead V-8" that kept blowing head gaskets and filling the crankcase with coolant. The rest have gone an average of over 200K miles with one going 348,000.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Old guys have been trained to change oil at 3,000 miles. Then it was 5,000. Now its 15,000.
Relax.
Every oil change interval since the first one was put in an owner's manual has had a caveat ------- more frequently in severe service.

Severe service has always been defined as Stop and Go, Towing, dusty, etc. In reality, few vehicles really operate under "normal conditions" which would probably could occur when one merely drives long highway miles with a modest load.

Oil is cheap. I change mine before long trips and at 5,000 mile intervals the rest of the time. My last engine failure was on a 1952 ford "flathead V-8" that kept blowing head gaskets and filling the crankcase with coolant. The rest have gone an average of over 200K miles with one going 348,000.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Relax.
This. I fall into that category. Modern car engines have come so far. Growing up on 20w-50 and 30w oil, then new oils pour like water.

Side note you need reservations for Glacier now just FYI.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1949 View Post
I have a 2020 Silverado, 5.3 liter v-8, pulling a Surveyor Legend. This question is truck related. We are going on a 5,000 mile trek from Houston to Glacier National Park and more. The truck tells me I have 50% oil life. I hate to give up 50% of the current oil, but should I change oil now and start the trip with fresh oil in the crankcase?
What I do is look ahead on my trip to where I am staying. I will make an appt at dealer when I know I will be camped nearby.

I always change oil before oil life tells me it’s time and before manual tells me to. That said, no need to give up 2-3000 miles on current oil.

I left the desert with about 2000 miles (1000 miles before manual told me I need to change) left on my oil and had it changed in Sheridan, WY after the 1800 mile (not a direct drive).
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:06 PM   #25

Quote:
I have a 2020 Silverado, 5.3 liter v-8, pulling a Surveyor Legend. This question is truck related. We are going on a 5,000 mile trek from Houston to Glacier National Park and more. The truck tells me I have 50% oil life. I hate to give up 50% of the current oil, but should I change oil now and start the trip with fresh oil in the crankcase?
I have had dealers across the country change my oil in my Silverado without issue. If you tell them you are from out of town they will try to get you in and out quickly.

It's painless really.
cknsls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:37 PM   #26

Oil Change

I use Mobil 1 Pure Synthetic High Mileage in our Silverado. It has 145K miles on the engine. When the computer says I have about 25% oil life left, I have the oil and filter changed. Doesn't make any difference where I might be.

It is only money and as the old commercial said; "pay me now or pay me later". Oil is cheap compared to an engine overhaul.
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:58 PM   #27

Look for an oil change on the road if needed. I am sure you will find a dealer some where.
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:29 PM   #28

As said, towing is considered severe duty. I would go with the manufacturers severe duty change interval.
You didn't say how heavy your trailer is, but there's a good chance you'll be running it pretty hard in the mountains.
I always run synthetic myself, and did a long trip last fall (probably over 7000 miles). The oil seemed to have thickened up a bit, so I wasn't comfortable with even a short trip without changing it.

I know better than to run an engine for broke under load, but it spent a lot of time at the torque peak.
Old 06-23-2022, 11:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1acguy View Post
As said, towing is considered severe duty. I would go with the manufacturers severe duty change interval.
You didn't say how heavy your trailer is, but there's a good chance you'll be running it pretty hard in the mountains.
I always run synthetic myself, and did a long trip last fall (probably over 7000 miles). The oil seemed to have thickened up a bit, so I wasn't comfortable with even a short trip without changing it.

I know better than to run an engine for broke under load, but it spent a lot of time at the torque peak.
I agree. I switched to this oil when it came out a year or two ago. It's only a couple dollars more for a five quart container ($32 vs $30 or something like that). It may be a gimmick, but if it's really better for heavy loads, the cost is a small price to pay. I do not go the indicated 10,000 miles. I stick with what the truck tells me.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...and-suv-5w-30/
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:57 AM   #30

Big bucks on a truck and worried about a few dollars on oil?
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:38 AM   #31

I will chime back in, I know said you would probably be fine , I still believe that. I also said I change my oil before every big trip, other than piece of mind. I hate spending time in dealership or shop that I could spend fishing or exploring with family. When I had my 2016 F 350 I had this happen 3 times.
1) visiting sister a short in state trip and oil change light comes on. I was at Fairfield ford when doors opened it was quick change of oil. I could have waited but the reminder annoys me.
2) long trip to Yellowstone Mt Rushmore Minot. My def light came on about hour after I got def. So next morning it was 90 minutes to closet ford dealership. Again was there when they opened again it was quick ( supposedly it was low on def). The trip to dealership did cost us a day in the park but gave us a day of rest.
3) even though I changed my oil before the trip above I only made Oklahoma before oil light came on lots of miles pulling trailer, lots of sight seeing miles and even a few out of way trailer parks when visiting friends the miles added up fast. It was 4 hours for that change. Next morning I was fishing in the park pond not a bite. Older guy was down there with me. Swore he tore them up yesterday morning not bite for anyone that morning.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:57 AM   #32

50% realy

Quote:
WHY NOT

i have a 2000 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 Cummins Dually i change my oil every 2000 mi
you kidding me take care of the engen it will take care of you its a no brainer
it was used when i got it oil was black and using oil
i change it as offten as i can
i guess if you trade it in at the end of the yr who care right

2000 Dodge Ram 3500 Dully 5.9 cummins full on custom
2014 Rockwood 2608 WS UL full of mod's
2 side kicks Cre & Zoie
Old 06-24-2022, 08:01 AM   #33

Oil changes are cheap and easy to come by. I would do it sooner than the manual because the towing for thousands of miles is serious service.

Folks typically forget about the differentials.

A four wheel drive vehicles has three! Towing is hard on them. Typically in serious service the mileage sort of is cut in half on them. 30,000.

The Ram dealer wants $600 to do all three on a hd truck.

Done in the driveway it’s two hours job plus $100 of fluid.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:34 AM   #34

oil change

Quote:
We Chevy 2500HD, we had 30% oil life left when we left to go to Spearfish, SD a few years back. We waited and had oil change while we were at destination.An 1800 mile trip, we were at 15% then, (we usually change at 15%). We needed to shop for a few items at Walmart, so had the change done while shopping. I think at 50% you should be fine for doing the same, may even be able to make the trip with no need to change before you return. Just watch your monitor. We use synthetic that is recommended for this truck.
Red Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:24 PM   #35

My 2 cents worth...I spent many years working for GM Technical assistance and many years before that as a certified mechanic. I have very little confidence in the oil life monitors. I have seen far too many engines damaged due to oil contamination and sludge, and far too many problems with timing chains on engines that were reasonable clean inside. I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu that will give me about 15,000 miles between changes. I change when it gets to 50%. I still have the original timing chain and I do not consume any oil between changes, at 165000 miles. My tow vehicle is a 2018 Silverado 5.3. I also change this one at 50% although it seems it would recommend oil changes about every 8-10000 miles. Oil is a lot cheaper than engines.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:37 PM   #36

My 2019 recommends every 5000 miles. Computer display is also set for that. You're at 50% and going 5000 miles. Unless the 2020 are different you have approx 2500 miles till 0%. Either change now or do it on the road at 15-20%.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:03 PM   #37

To change OR not to change

Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry but I can not agree with most others. If it were me I would go with what you got, I've had a few 5.3's. They are a strong engine (as told to me by the Service Dept).. I change my oil when the truck tells me to do it. That includes the filter also. If GM/Chevrolet designed a motor to go XXX number of miles I would think that they are encompassing the filter also. There is nothing in the manual to state otherwise. I have all my service work done by GM. I have asked (Service Dept.) about going 11,000km (Canada) on an oil change. I thought it was crazy also.. Response was GM says your good to go. No warranty issues if you follow the GM truck guidelines/odometer readings. Side note:: I pull a 9000 lb, 5th wheel and have never noticed an increase on the oil change values on the truck or maybe they are so minuscule that I couldn't see the difference. I also track my trailer tire mileage even though the truck trailer app does it for you and I have found no discrepancies. (Between pulling a trailer and not pulling with respect to oil usage) Hope this helps you make a decision..
Old 06-24-2022, 09:27 PM   #38

Now that I have read a lot more of the reply's/posts on this topic. I have to ask. Is there a lot more engine burn ups going on now more than before due to oil and filter changing. Back in the day we used to race the **** out of our cars on the street. Missing a shift on my 4 speed Hurst at 5000 RPM's in my 327 HP engine 4 barrel dual pumper with FI Heads did more damage than going 1000 miles over on an oil change....lol... maybe things have changed. HaaHa... the good old days....But..they couldn't pull a trailer..lol
Old 06-24-2022, 10:34 PM   #39

Nothing has changed if anything less engines develop dirty oil problems because the computer reminds us. Like others have said oil is cheap compared to new engine. Op most likely be ok but I would be annoyed with reminders and change oil before I left
Old 06-24-2022, 11:35 PM   #40

Quote:
As others have said. Better safe than sorry. Especially if you expect to have the truck for a long time. Oil just isn't that costly and old oil is recycled.

The "computer" in your Silverado tracks a lot of parameters that affect oil life. Heck, mine counts down remaining oil life even it's just sitting waiting for the next outing. This is appropriate. When remaining oil life gets lower, just sitting eats up the remaining oil life even quicker, as it should. So the oil life tracker is pretty smart.

I think the only question is how conservative you want to be. The lowest I've ever let my remaining oil life get is 19%. That was at the end of a long trip. I've changed it as early as 40% when I expected to get down around 20% at the end of the impending excursion (largely to prevent the need to change oil en route). I change the oil myself and don't trust quickie oil change to get it right.

If you normally trust others to change your oil, I'd leave with 50% and have it changed when you get down to some lower number that you are comfortable with. Otherwise (you prefer to change it yourself), I'd change it before leaving.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote