Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #1

Old Truck/New Camper

We are picking up a 2020 forest river Vibe in a couple of days rated at 6925 pounds dry weight. I have a 1999 Dodge Ram Laramie with a 5.9L engine. the Max towing capacity is either 7400 or 8000 depending on website. We will buy a different truck in the spring after retirement. how far should I trust this truck to pull and any recommendations on future truck since we are planning trips all over the country
greg mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #2
Site Team

You will get lots of answers, but a few things to check.

Check the cargo capacity of the truck on the sticker on the drivers door jamb. From this subtract 100lbs for hitch, the weight of passengers and cargo in the truck and 12% of the max weight of the TT ( not dry weight). If this is still a positive number you are fine. If the weight is slightly over I would avoid mountains or long trips. Do not trust the dealers opinion.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:47 AM   #3

I graduated from a 2001 5.9l with 3 peed w/OD automatic to a 2014 5.7 hemi and 8 speed auto... with my 4800# loaded trailer...
night and day difference when towing... 265 Hp I think for the 5.9 compared to 395 Hp for the hemi... the tranny also made a huge difference going up big hills... now I don't have to worry about gathering enough speed going downhill so I can make it up the next hill

If you are going to be pulling all over, certainly think about a diesel engine. At least get the 6.4 liter gas in the new RAM...

I think your unloaded weight of 6925 is going to be closer to 7150 with propane and battery on the tongue... your are going to have a tongue weight of 900 to 1000 pounds and if you look for a YELLOW payload cap sticker on the driver side door pillar of your current RAM , then subtract 1000# including the weight of any WDH you buy, you may be surprised at how close you are to the weight limit of your current truck...

Definitely pay attention to that YELLOW sticker on any NEW vehicle that you buy and don't pay attention to published or online weights as they are not the "official" weight for that vehicle.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, truck