Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
In the box highlighted in post 1. The statement about high altitude operation that this thread is about. GCW makes some sense, GVW makes no sense.
OK, sorry. Since you didn't quote any post or any statement as you did mine above, I didn't realize to which particular statement you were referring. Yes, I've noticed what the thread is about.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:48 PM   #22
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
The turbo engines (gas and diesel ) lose power as elevation increase as well, just not at the same rate. Check drag racing records in Denver against sea level.
To a degree yes but diesels of today can compensate through the variable geometry turbo. In other words, you'd never feel it. Plus there is already an over abundance of power and torque.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:10 AM   #23
RCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
To a degree yes but diesels of today can compensate through the variable geometry turbo. In other words, you'd never feel it. Plus there is already an over abundance of power and torque.
Unless you are near capacity. My point was that race engines ( including turbos) are built for the altitude and still not make the same power as the ones built for sea level. The engine we have are a compromise.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #24

Smash the gas and do what needs to be done.Sounds to me like you dont have any REAL problems in your life if thats all you have to worry about.
JR Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #25

I believe the point of the original Post was simply to just poke fun of yet another "warning" that seems to complicate a rather simple issue that should be common sense to most anyone.. Your truck tows better at lower elevations than it does at higher elevations and if its important to not lose much performance than pack a few suitcases and leave the Trailer at home.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I believe the point of the original Post was simply to just poke fun of yet another "warning" that seems to complicate a rather simple issue that should be common sense to most anyone.. Your truck tows better at lower elevations than it does at higher elevations and if its important to not lose much performance than pack a few suitcases and leave the Trailer at home.
Me? I would never poke fun at a nonsensical lawyer CYA statement...
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #27

Speaking of poking fun...Keep in mind that there is less air resistance at elevation, so less power/fuel needed for starting vehicle/cargo motion. Some other little known mythafacts: a gallon of water weighs less at 10,000 feet than at sea level; internal tire pressures rise appreciably as elevation increases (less atmospheric pressure). Yep, these and many more tongue-in-cheek facts are well known in Colorado...😉
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:05 PM   #28
RetiredRVer

Older post, but I just thought I'd add one thing. It seems to me that your payload capacity would not be affected by increases in elevation, just towing capacity due to loss of horsepower of gas engines. Payload is the ability of the suspension, axle, tires etc., to handle the load applied to the vehicle. I don't think that ability is impacted by elevation increases.
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote