Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #41

Yes, show us a news clip. This is counter to everything about vehicle licensing I have ever heard.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:14 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Yes, show us a news clip. This is counter to everything about vehicle licensing I have ever heard.

Yes, show us the clip.

Drivers license in one state is good in every other state even if that state has different requirements for getting in the first place.

In Ohio for example nothing required for driving a non commercial vehicle over 26k lbs other than the license I have already. Nothing extra for air brakes etc.

That doesn’t mean I am not legal to drive the same vehicle in a state that requires additional testing for those vehicles.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #43

Some states have special requirements depending on weight or license requirements. Better check with your DMV or State Police as previously suggested. It may not be a CDL but may be a special license. I researched when I got my new rig - virginia nothing, some sates have something special.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I don't know about that. I know the OP is talking about Minnesota, but a while back New York came up on the forum. I swapped emails with New York's whatever department and they had inconsistent answers. At one point, they said for a specific combination, a CDL would be required.

If nothing else, it's extremely confusing.
In ny its over 26001 lbs r requirement. 3500 and 2500 over 7000lbs gets a commercial plate. I have a gas 2500 and have passanger plates.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #45
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
You are right that USE of the vehicle is the key to whether it is COMMERCIAL or RECREATIONAL, and that CDLs are generally only for COMMERCIAL, NOT RECREATIONAL vehicles.

Your Horse Trailer Chart does indeed focus on the USE ($$$) and it makes sense. Your CDL Flowchart seems to disregard USE ($$$), and it may incorrectly indicate that CDLs are required for RECREATIONAL vehicles. If you checked the actual regulation illustrated by the CDL Flowchart, I'd bet you would find it only applies to COMMERCIAL vehicles and not RVs. This is the exact sort of confusion to which I referred in my post #27 above.
Yes the picture is an excerpt that we will give commercial drivers to help them determine whether they need a cdl. It is also in the truckers manuals as they are called that shows them / helps them with the us dot regs.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:22 PM   #46
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
Some states have special requirements depending on weight or license requirements. Better check with your DMV or State Police as previously suggested. It may not be a CDL but may be a special license. I researched when I got my new rig - virginia nothing, some sates have something special.
Yes they may but as far as licensing you are typically good anywhere in the USA with your class of license. It's that whole interstate drivers license compact. The rest of the rules/ traffic laws do apply thought,even if you do not know the rules.. I say typically because I have heard from credible (Leo's) that ca was nabbing out of state drivers for not having to heavy Rvs on their roads. This was occurring around the pizmo area. Other than in ca, you can drive what ever you can legally drive in your home state assuming it is tagged in your home state.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-01-2018, 10:18 PM   #47

Oddly, when I retired I received a letter from the State of Florida telling me I had to surrender my CDL if I was no longer making a living with it. I never should have given it up. I have friends who simply ignored the letter and still have their CDL. I was employed by a government agency, maybe that had something to do with it. I don't know.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #48
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
Oddly, when I retired I received a letter from the State of Florida telling me I had to surrender my CDL if I was no longer making a living with it. I never should have given it up. I have friends who simply ignored the letter and still have their CDL. I was employed by a government agency, maybe that had something to do with it. I don't know.
It might have. I know when you have certain things like training and such it is sometimes not good once you leave that type of service. Military pilots might be one, I know the medics are one because we get a ton of highly skilled combat medics and they are squat once they leave the military. Military personnel also do not need a cdl or even a license (in pa) if operating a military vehicle , even if over 26,001lbs.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasqms View Post
I just found out in the state of TX if your TV and Trailer have combined rating of over 26000 lbs, whether or not you actually weigh that much, you have to have a "exempt" class C license. There is a written test and a driving test. They are not as intense as a full CDL test. Also if you are from out of state, it is whatever is required in your state. Technically you can be ticketed for driving without a proper license, but from what I have read, Highway patrol does not make it an issue until they stop you for something or an accident. It has put a damper on my quest for a 1 ton dually, but not completely, still thinking about it.
I just did the driving portion for the TX DL Class A Non-CDL Exempt on Friday May 25th, I had to take 2 written tests prior to the driving portion, I did those the week before. It wasn’t difficult at all.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLice...iallicense.htm

Fill out this form and get it notarized https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/CDL-2.pdf

Study section 5, 6 and 14 in this handbook
https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-7C.pdf

On the Heartland Forum some have had different experiences depending on who you get the pleasure of dealing with at the DPS office.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthre...I-am-now-legal!!!!

Some were only tested on Chapter 14 Texas Commercial Rules, however they told me I would also be tested on Chapter 6 Combonation Vehicles. I pointed out that the bottom of the form only listed Texas Commercial Rules as the written test requirement but they said it had changed recently. One of the DPS employees agreed with me but was over-ruled by 2 supervisors.

There was a lot of terminology in chapter 6 that I was not familiar with and I failed the first attempt on the written since I was not prepared. So I went home and studied it, it refers back to Chapter 5 in section 6.2 so I studied Chapter 5 also, and there were questions from Chapter 5 on the test I was given, although it’s a hodgepodge of randomly generated questions you never know what you’ll have.

Good Luck
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #50

CDL means Commercial Drivers License. This horse has been beat to death many many times. If you aren't a For Hire driver you don't need a CDL
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #51

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

This page says you need a non-commercial special license for large RV’s over 26001 lbs, in Texas.....

This is not a requirement in Colorado.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:56 PM   #52

Just for clarity purposes the Texas law says that you're required to have a Class A exempt for GCWR greater than 26000 lb --AND-- trailer GVWR over 10,000 pounds

My RAM has a GVWR 14k and 5er is 14k GVWR. I didn't realize how easy it was to blow past the 26k limit

I got my class A exempt earlier this spring once I realized the risk I was taking with my insurance coverage.

I suspect the fine print in my State Farm policy requires me to have the appropriate driver's license or they're not obligated to cover a claim.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
It might have. I know when you have certain things like training and such it is sometimes not good once you leave that type of service. Military pilots might be one, I know the medics are one because we get a ton of highly skilled combat medics and they are squat once they leave the military. Military personnel also do not need a cdl or even a license (in pa) if operating a military vehicle , even if over 26,001lbs.

I drove tractor trailers in the USAF and did not need any special license as long as I was driving a government truck.

Once I got out I could not legally drive them unless going through getting a CDL.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #54
Boondocking Only

Quote:

I drove tractor trailers in the USAF and did not need any special license as long as I was driving a government truck.

Once I got out I could not legally drive them unless going through getting a CDL.
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear

You absolutely 100% need a special license & the schooling certificates to go along with it in the Marine Corps. Ordnance & Haz-Mat is more difficult to get. Useless as far as civilian life is concerned.....except for the knowledge & experience gained.
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #55
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post

We are not even allowed to touch us govt trucks. Only ones we can touch are us govt contracted trucks (like a tractor trailer hauling Mario but not a govt owned truck)

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbck View Post
Quote:

2016 Grey Wolf 26rr

2005 Honda VTX 1300

2012 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear

You absolutely 100% need a special license & the schooling certificates to go along with it in the Marine Corps. Ordnance & Haz-Mat is more difficult to get. Useless as far as civilian life is concerned.....except for the knowledge & experience gained.

I transported munitions in the USAF. Of course that was back in the 80’s things could have changed by then. I did have training and verified through the military, I was saying I did not have CDL while in military.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #57
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
We are not even allowed to touch us govt trucks. Only ones we can touch are us govt contracted trucks (like a tractor trailer hauling Mario but not a govt owned truck)
Flippping auto correct... Mario and Luigi are safe... Meant to be the MAIL!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #58
dgibbs1955

The story was on the local ABC station here in DFW, WFAA. They were looking for Tow vehicles who's ass may be really sagging or just the overall appearance of the combination of Tow vehicle and 5th wheel looked out of proportion, they would pull you over and check what your weights were and then the type of license you had, and if it was the correct type. There are a lot of 250/2500's pulling 15k+ rigs around on the road. I see it all the time down here. So it is not just about whether you need a Class B CDL, but rather to ensure that you are within the safe weight limitations of your vehicle and 5th wheel.

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #59
dgibbs1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
I transported munitions in the USAF. Of course that was back in the 80’s things could have changed by then. I did have training and verified through the military, I was saying I did not have CDL while in military.
That was also one of my collateral duties in the Navy when stationed in Sicily. I had to go to a Hazardous/Ammunition transportation course, driving test and handling test. It was then documented in my Training Record and put on my White License, which is what you had to have to drive any type of Government vehicle. I used that documented information to get credit for driving experience and other type of jobs.

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:47 AM   #60

It does but it doesn't. While Federal Law trumps State Law and reciprocal license laws apply... When you get pulled over, inspected, weighed and ticketed you can argue they are wrong, pull out the law and state statue books all you want... all the way up to getting arrested. You may be on the right side of the law with what is legal... But they hold the power now with your citation and any other thing they take. It is now up to you to come back and fight it in court.

While there is allot of legal truth and even precedence offered here, when it comes to a citation just grin and take it. At that point they law is on their side.

Think about it... when was the last time you saw government officials agree on anything, use common sense when administering anything and certainly everyone of them having a difference of opinion of the law.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote