Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 01:34 PM   #21

From MN web site:

DRIVER'S LICENSE INFORMATION
Find general information for the following licenses:

Class D
A Class D License is a regular driver's license required to operate a vehicle weighing 26,000 pounds or less. It is the most common type of driver's license.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pag...formation.aspx

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:37 PM   #22

CDL

Kaadk the gcwr in Ontario for class G you are referring to is 24250 lbs not 22000(11000kg=24250lbs). Trailer wgt is 10,000lbs but a 5th wheel towed by a pick up is an exception and can weigh more as long as you stay below the 24250 lbs limit. Just upgraded back to a 5th wheel from a class c and checked the regulations.

2018 ford f250 powerstroke
2018 cc silverback 29IK
jjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:47 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrver View Post
Kaadk the gcwr in Ontario for class G you are referring to is 24250 lbs not 22000(11000kg=24250lbs). Trailer wgt is 10,000lbs but a 5th wheel towed by a pick up is an exception and can weigh more as long as you stay below the 24250 lbs limit. Just upgraded back to a 5th wheel from a class c and checked the regulations.

2018 ford f250 powerstroke
2018 cc silverback 29IK

Opps, you're right. Shouldn't have been trying to do math on the fly while also paying attention to work.

The point I was trying to make though was to point out the difference between DL and CVOR. Just because my DL allows it doesn't make it exempt from the need for a CVOR.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:56 PM   #24

I just found out in the state of TX if your TV and Trailer have combined rating of over 26000 lbs, whether or not you actually weigh that much, you have to have a "exempt" class C license. There is a written test and a driving test. They are not as intense as a full CDL test. Also if you are from out of state, it is whatever is required in your state. Technically you can be ticketed for driving without a proper license, but from what I have read, Highway patrol does not make it an issue until they stop you for something or an accident. It has put a damper on my quest for a 1 ton dually, but not completely, still thinking about it.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:03 PM   #25

While you don't need a CDL some states require a non-commercial Class A license to operate/tow vehicles over certain GVWRs. So it's not necessarily about needing a CDL or not but ensuring you have the correct non-commercial license for what you're operating.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:26 PM   #26

Better ask a different state than NY and try a professional driver. I wouldn't trust anything from NY dept of whatever. And if you didn't get different and inconsistent answers from them I'd be worried. That is the run around you get from NY and NJ officials.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:13 PM   #27

FIRST Read your state's RV Exemption

Federal & state CDL requirements read as if a CDL is required for various vehicle descriptions. Many folks miss the intro "applicability" statement that limits them to commercial uses. This causes incessant confusion and argument, and many think that CDLs are required for long or heavy RVs.

Actually, CDL regs only apply for COMMERCIAL uses. Although not always cited in the CDL regulations, your state may have an RV EXEMPTION for vehicles driven for recreational purposes carrying only your personal stuff. The "C" in CDL is "COMMERCIAL." The "R" in RV is "RECREATIONAL."

This should help you find the law for your state:
RV Driver's License Requirements
The chart shows CDL requirements for RVs only in DC, HI, IN & WI.

As described here https://mhs2go.com/blog/do-i-need-a-...s-c-motorhome/

The GENERAL RULE IS:

"CDL's pertain more to why you are driving, rather than what you are driving. Very few states require you to have a CDL to operate a motorhome. CDL's are intended for vehicles with commercial use, so unless you drive a motorhome for a living, you probably don’t need a CDL. There are a few exceptions though. For motorhomes over 26,000 lb., Washington, DC, and Hawaii require you to have a CDL. In Washington, DC, the road test is not required to get your CDL, but you do have to pass the CDL knowledge test. Wisconsin and Indiana require a CDL for motorhomes longer than 45’. Most states rule that individuals operating a motorhome exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non-business purposes, are exempt from CDL requirements."
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:34 PM   #28

So just got off the phone with a friend's friend who is a certified DOT and CDL instructor. He says that in MN we have 2 types of Y plates. One commercial and one non-commercial. As long as my plates say non-commercial across the bottom, those laws don't apply to me. He also said he was sure that I would only need more than a regular license if the GCVW Rating was over 26000lbs. He doesn't deal with RV trailers but does for a trailer Manufacturer here in MN. So that is good enough for me.

Thanks for the information everyone.

If your best was good enough today........
It won't be tomorrow.
Feldhege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:02 PM   #29

Minnesota "Y Plates" were designed so people with One Ton Trucks that DO NOT use them for commercial reasons can register them with the Y Plate and then there is no confusion as to if they are using the truck for commercial or personal business. You are good to go!
The Lieutenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
From MN web site:

DRIVER'S LICENSE INFORMATION
Find general information for the following licenses:

Class D
A Class D License is a regular driver's license required to operate a vehicle weighing 26,000 pounds or less. It is the most common type of driver's license.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pag...formation.aspx

Aaaah a fact!
Old 05-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #31

I think some of the confusion could be due to more stringent federal laws going into effect at the first of the year. Many people who pull horse trailers and compete were concerned that they would now be considered commercial and would need CDLs, or at least ELDs to log their driving hours.

There were countless discussions in the horse groups about this, but I think the attached pictures were the most concise in their explanation.

The attachments mention prize money and horse trailers, but the concept is the same for any trailer where money may be received as a result of hauling it.

Hopefully they will be readable and informational. Note: It may be helpful to open the pictures in a new tab if zooming in this window doesn’t work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F7BFBC3-CA80-412B-9C28-7BDE80AE708B.jpeg
Views:	285
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	174124   Click image for larger version

Name:	6DEFF9A6-9DE8-4609-8A76-921D428F32F7.jpeg
Views:	527
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	174125  
avid108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid108 View Post
I think some of the confusion could be due to more stringent federal laws going into effect at the first of the year. Many people who pull horse trailers and compete were concerned that they would now be considered commercial and would need CDLs, or at least ELDs to log their driving hours.

There were countless discussions in the horse groups about this, but I think the attached pictures were the most concise in their explanation.

The attachments mention prize money and horse trailers, but the concept is the same for any trailer where money may be received as a result of hauling it.

Hopefully they will be readable and informational. Note: It may be helpful to open the pictures in a new tab if zooming in this window doesn’t work.
You are right that USE of the vehicle is the key to whether it is COMMERCIAL or RECREATIONAL, and that CDLs are generally only for COMMERCIAL, NOT RECREATIONAL vehicles.

Your Horse Trailer Chart does indeed focus on the USE ($$$) and it makes sense. Your CDL Flowchart seems to disregard USE ($$$), and it may incorrectly indicate that CDLs are required for RECREATIONAL vehicles. If you checked the actual regulation illustrated by the CDL Flowchart, I'd bet you would find it only applies to COMMERCIAL vehicles and not RVs. This is the exact sort of confusion to which I referred in my post #27 above.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:45 PM   #33

I agree with your statement. I think the flow chart is supposed to be page 2 of the first document. If you are commercial based on the first document, proceed to page 2 to determine if a CDL is, in fact, required. At least that’s the way I took it, as it appeared to be 2 pages of a pamphlet in the Facebook thread I pulled it from.
avid108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:35 PM   #34
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldhege View Post
So I just upgraded my 2009 2500HD to a 2016 3500HD. I live in Minnesota. Now I come to find out that (if I am reading this right) because it has "Y" plates (not farm plates) on it (being it is a one ton) it may be illegal for me to tow my 5th wheel camper out of state without a CDL or DOT stickers. Something about the combined gross vehicle weight being more than 10001 lbs. This can't be right can it? I have a big family trip to Indiana in July. Surely there has to be an exclusion. If not, what do you guys do?
Can't help with any of the real issues here but I am envious of your vehicle upgrade. I am still plodding along with my 2004 2500HD LS. Luv it but would like yours more I think.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
Can't help with any of the real issues here but I am envious of your vehicle upgrade. I am still plodding along with my 2004 2500HD LS. Luv it but would like yours more I think.
Yes. I had 263000 miles and it was starting to need more work. It also always threw this weird code when towing my 5th wheel that no one ever figured out. New one is an Ltz with only 35k on it. Should last a while. I love it. My midlife crisis mobile. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

If your best was good enough today........
It won't be tomorrow.
Feldhege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:07 AM   #36
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Yes. I had 263000 miles and it was starting to need more work. It also always threw this weird code when towing my 5th wheel that no one ever figured out. New one is an Ltz with only 35k on it. Should last a while. I love it. My midlife crisis mobile. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
When I bought mine it had 280,000 km's on the clock. Now it has about 320,000 kms. Still going strong. Because of the reliability of these vehicles I deemed it a good deal at near half the usual going price for this model in Australia, even though I sunk another $20k into it.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:24 AM   #37
dgibbs1955

Quote:
So I just upgraded my 2009 2500HD to a 2016 3500HD. I live in Minnesota. Now I come to find out that (if I am reading this right) because it has "Y" plates (not farm plates) on it (being it is a one ton) it may be illegal for me to tow my 5th wheel camper out of state without a CDL or DOT stickers. Something about the combined gross vehicle weight being more than 10001 lbs. This can't be right can it? I have a big family trip to Indiana in July. Surely there has to be an exclusion. If not, what do you guys do?
If your vehicle weight plus the dry weight of your 5th wheel exceed 26,001 lbs. you are required in a lot of states to have a Class B CDL license. You will have to check all the states you plan on driving through.

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:33 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbs1955 View Post
If your vehicle weight plus the dry weight of your 5th wheel exceed 26,001 lbs. you are required in a lot of states to have a Class B CDL license. You will have to check all the states you plan on driving through.

See above. If you are legal in your state then you are legal in all even if they have different rules.

State rules only apply if your license is in that particular state.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #39
dgibbs1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
See above. If you are legal in your state then you are legal in all even if they have different rules.

State rules only apply if your license is in that particular state.
Incorrect Gumpster. There was a news story just this week about this very subject here in Texas. People are getting stopped and ticketed for this very thing. It is just like whether you have to stop at scales and get weighed. Varies from state to state. You as the driver are responsible for knowing the laws of the states you are traveling through.

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbs1955 View Post
Incorrect Gumpster. There was a news story just this week about this very subject here in Texas. People are getting stopped and ticketed for this very thing. It is just like whether you have to stop at scales and get weighed. Varies from state to state. You as the driver are responsible for knowing the laws of the states you are traveling through.
Getting stopped for what? Please post this news story or tell us where it can be viewed.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote