Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2022, 12:40 PM   #21

Basic F150

As long as your happy that's all that matters.

I do have to laugh at those that get down on the Ecoboost motors. They claim that they have so many problems bla bla bla and that turbo's haven't been around that long. Turbo's are used on almost all diesel motors, they have been helping power aircraft going way back before World War ll. I think lack of knowledge is far more critical than a turbo. The 5.0 V8 is a good motor but it won't pull what the Eco will, not even close. The 5.0 has had plenty of problems. Look at GM's 5.3 and 6.2 with all the lifter problems they are having lately. Just to touch on the fact that no matter what it is you can have problems with anything that is mass produced. Personally I think the auto industry does a pretty decent job of mass producing anything, far better than the RV industry by a long shot.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:25 PM   #22

Nice choice of truck, and a great fit for your camper.

A suggestion. Even with a WDH, many trucks tend to pogo and wallow with all that weight on the hitch and in the bed. Airbags do a great job of firming up the rear end and leveling the ride...so your headlights don't point skyward. (I even had this problem with a 2000# PUP that didn't even have brakes...wallow through the whoop-de-doos was terrible, and my headlights blinded oncoming drivers despite a mere 300# tongue weight.)

I have a 2006 RAM 1500 with airbags, and the selling dealer for my latest rig passed up a sure sale of a WDH and told me to try it first and see if a WDH is needed. End result, NO WDH and one happy camper. The salesman could have sold me the WDH no questions asked, so his advice was not motivated by commission.

The airbags transformed my truck, and they are just as useful for trips to Home Depot as they are for towing.

One more thing, especially since the truck is wearing what's likely to be the smallest wheel/tire package offered, watch your truck tire pressures...especially the rear tires. Bear in mind that your truck will likely be fairly close to "fully loaded" when towing...especially with a bunch of stuff in the truck bed. Factory tire pressure recommendations are set for "daily driver" mode...not fully loaded. My recommended pressure is 35 PSI. Max sidewall pressure rating is 45 PSI. I generally bump up my rears to about 40 to 42 PSI to accommodate all that weight. The result is no squirm or heat buildup even with no WDH and a full load.

Enjoy your new toy. I hope the sound system includes bluetooth. Then you can snag Spotify or Pandora on your cell and feed it through the truck's stereo on those long drives.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:52 PM   #23

P.S. With all those gears, be sure to learn to shift manually. On climbs, it will eliminate all the gear hunting and full-power up- and down-shifts. Your truck transmission will appreciate it, and so will your passengers. On downhills, and with all those gears, you damned well ought to be able to go down long grades without touching the brakes...saving them for when it matters.

My old Dodge has what's laughingly called a 4 speed OD transmission. It's really an old 3 speed with an electronic OD 4th gear and OD added. Even so, I shift manually in the mountains. The truck will cruise all day in second gear at 60+ mph. First is good for 45 mph at redline. Long climbs in the mountains usually include lots of turns, and it's hard on the transmission to be forced to downshift to maintain speed on the climb, then, when you liftoff for the turn, it upshifts, only to be forced to downshift again when you hit the next straightaway. Manual shifting is the nuts for towing. And just like a manual transmission, you can lift off on up- and down-shifts rather than forcing a the transmission to endure full-power shifts. With 10 gears to work with, you've got me beat by 7!! My truck NEVER sees 4th gear...to say nothing about OD...in the mountains, yet it pulls OD on the flat at 5000 feet no problem.

I don't know if an XL has a tachometer. If it does, great. Use it. If not, learn your shift points using the speedo. Take the unladen truck to a straight stetch of empty road, come to a full stop, then floor it and observe the speed at each shift...up to about 70 MPH. You'll probably only get into 4th or 5th gear at 70. Meanwhile, you'll know the max safe engine speed for each gear. Cut that by 5 - 10 MPH for a margin of comfort, and your engine will be perfectly happy to spin that fast when the going gets tough on long climbs and descents.

In the west, most climbs and decents over mountain passes are 15 to 20 miles up and the same going down. On Wolf Creek Pass (photo), the entire descent for me is in first gear, cruise control set to 35 MPH (speed limit) with occasional taps of the brakes entering turns. If a moose or elk jumps out in front of me, I have cool brakes to attend to business. You most definitely want cool brakes entering a turn like this one...especially when some moronic rubber-necker decides to stop to try to grab a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolf Creek Pass-3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	268011  
Old 01-20-2022, 04:58 PM   #24
Site Team

Just remember that adding airbags does NOT increase the truck's payload capacity.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:19 PM   #25
Camping the Natural State

As far as the gears go while towing, just lock out gears 8-9-10. They are all overdrive gears. You can still use tow/haul if ya want. Or, tow in manual mode. It's the best, if ya know about using gears.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Around here, the heated seats are all I care about. Wish it had a heated steering wheel too!
This morning I was thankful I chose a model last summer with heated seats.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricMustang View Post
If anyone is interested, my basic tow vehicle will be here soon. Window sticker photo link attached.

Basic.........I mean basic...........even has vinyl flooring!

Overkill for my small camper........but, it should pull anywhere and should handle any upgrade that I can afford.

Thanks,
HistoricMustang

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...cture22105.png
Thanks for all the suggestions/comments.

Side notes:
After no success searching internet and some dealers, I decided to order this truck..............realizing it could take a very long time for delivery. Actually, from order date to delivery it will take about seven weeks!

I ordered on December 2, 2021 and truck will be delivered to dealer this weekend, January 22, 2022. Ford has a pretty cool tracking system that keeps you up to date.

I have no opinion on turbo's as it appears the automotive industry is headed that way..............just wonder if expensive when problems appear or turbo system fails.

Went with the V8............because I like the sound and torque.

The latest version of the Ford 5.0 liter, which I think is actually 5.2 liter is totally different than the old Ford 5.0 liter that was "around" for decades.

The new version is rated at 400HP and 410 lbs of torque. It drops 4 cylinders during normal driving for better milage.........not going to like that due to my "old school" mentality on V-8's........but, will see.

Again, thanks for the advice/suggestions/comments.

2021 Forest River "Salem" FSX 177BH
2022 Ford F-150 XL 5.0 Liter V8, Tow Package, 400HP 410lbs Torque, 2WD, 3.31 Locking Rear End, Super Crew Cab, Vinyl Floors, Factory Steel Wheels, Iconic Silver
"Keep Calm and Take Them to the Train Station"
HistoricMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:36 AM   #28
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco_Joe View Post
This morning I was thankful I chose a model last summer with heated seats.
Is it just me, or maybe because fabric seats (never had seat heaters before in other than leather), the seat heaters get incredibly hot incredibly fast! I can smell bacon in just minutes! Not complaining, I just never had seats get so hot so fast. As soon as I feel the heat, I have to go from high to low, and then even that is too much after 5 min.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:39 PM   #29

Should be in driveway.........in couple of days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user155288_pic22106_1642456567.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	268036  

2022 Ford F-150 XL 5.0 Liter V8, Tow Package, 400HP 410lbs Torque, 2WD, 3.31 Locking Rear End, Super Crew Cab, Vinyl Floors, Factory Steel Wheels, Iconic Silver
Old 01-21-2022, 04:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Just remember that adding airbags does NOT increase the truck's payload capacity.
Right you are. Airbags just make the handling much more secure when the truck is fully loaded...and keep the ride level if adjuste properly.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:41 AM   #31
Defender of America

Quote:

Nice! Enjoy. A new vehicle is always an exciting purchase for me.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:21 AM   #32

Quote:

Congratulations on the new truck! Think you're going to be very happy with your decision to get it. I never regretted my decision to get one (used) a few years back and would do it all over again, given the chance.

You'll be surprised how many feature upgrades you can buy easily and install in a basic work truck by yourself, or by professionals. Over time, I added many upgrades normally only found on XLT and Lariat models. Didn't get all the same upgrade features, but also didn't pay any where near the price for a loaded XLT or Lariat.

Good luck with it!
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions/comments.

Side notes:
After no success searching internet and some dealers, I decided to order this truck..............realizing it could take a very long time for delivery. Actually, from order date to delivery it will take about seven weeks!

I ordered on December 2, 2021 and truck will be delivered to dealer this weekend, January 22, 2022. Ford has a pretty cool tracking system that keeps you up to date.

I have no opinion on turbo's as it appears the automotive industry is headed that way..............just wonder if expensive when problems appear or turbo system fails.

Went with the V8............because I like the sound and torque.

The latest version of the Ford 5.0 liter, which I think is actually 5.2 liter is totally different than the old Ford 5.0 liter that was "around" for decades.

The new version is rated at 400HP and 410 lbs of torque. It drops 4 cylinders during normal driving for better milage.........not going to like that due to my "old school" mentality on V-8's........but, will see.

Again, thanks for the advice/suggestions/comments.
Torque ? Less that the 3.5TT. Also, the "turbo systems" seldom fail. Very seldom.
That 5.0 is still 302 cubic inches and still 5 liters even. The '5.2' is the newer V8 in the GT500. Totally different engine.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
Torque ? Less that the 3.5TT. Also, the "turbo systems" seldom fail. Very seldom.
That 5.0 is still 302 cubic inches and still 5 liters even. The '5.2' is the newer V8 in the GT500. Totally different engine.
Thanks for clarification.........

Old 01-22-2022, 02:09 PM   #35
Retired Army MSG!

Quote:
If anyone is interested, my basic tow vehicle will be here soon. Window sticker photo link attached.

Basic.........I mean basic...........even has vinyl flooring!

Overkill for my small camper........but, it should pull anywhere and should handle any upgrade that I can afford.

Thanks,
HistoricMustang

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...cture22105.png
Nothing basis about your new truck. I lucked up the week of Thanksgiving and found a 2021 regular cab, long bed F350 XL. sitting on a dealer lot. It has all the power options I need or like except for cruise control. Hard to believe that is missing because it had Wi Fi, Android and Apple car play, power windows and locks, rear defrost and heated mirrors. I guess they were out of cruise control chips and parts when built who knows. I love my rubber flooring but did but Weather Tech mat to cover the floor. It has the 6.2 with 3.73 gear. I have not towed with it as I still have my 99 F250 Powerstroke Diesel as well, but for a basic truck I am truly happy. Getting around 16.5 on the highway.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:03 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
Nothing basis about your new truck. I lucked up the week of Thanksgiving and found a 2021 regular cab, long bed F350 XL. sitting on a dealer lot. It has all the power options I need or like except for cruise control. Hard to believe that is missing because it had Wi Fi, Android and Apple car play, power windows and locks, rear defrost and heated mirrors. I guess they were out of cruise control chips and parts when built who knows. I love my rubber flooring but did but Weather Tech mat to cover the floor. It has the 6.2 with 3.73 gear. I have not towed with it as I still have my 99 F250 Powerstroke Diesel as well, but for a basic truck I am truly happy. Getting around 16.5 on the highway.

My work truck didn't come with any of the options you've mentioned. I've added some options myself, but going to have power windows and locks professionally installed one of these days soon.

I installed a FoMoCo cruise control module into the steering wheel myself and it works just as good as if it came installed from the factory. I found the factory installed wiring in the steering wheel for the module, so it only took me 15 minutes to install it. Most of that time was to enable the module in the PCM with my OBD2 scanner and Ford programming software.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:10 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
My work truck didn't come with any of the options you've mentioned. I've added some options myself, but going to have power windows and locks professionally installed one of these days soon.

I installed a FoMoCo cruise control module into the steering wheel myself and it works just as good as if it came installed from the factory. I found the factory installed wiring in the steering wheel for the module, so it only took me 15 minutes to install it. Most of that time was to enable the module in the PCM with my OBD2 scanner and Ford programming software.
Do you work for Ford or you mean using Forscan ?
Old 01-23-2022, 11:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Do you work for Ford or you mean using Forscan ?

Yes, correct, Forscan!....couldn't remember the name. Thank you!

Software well worth having if you've got a Ford vehicle.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Tell that to my son who just had to put a complete engine (w/turbos) in his at 70k.
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:04 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Around here, the heated seats are all I care about. Wish it had a heated steering wheel too!
I went the special order route for my new truck (2022 F-350, Lariat, 6.7L P.S., 10 speed, 3.31, 4x4, Crew Cab, 8’ bed, SRW) in august of last year, it arrived on Christmas Eve last year, they gave me $49K for my trade. I had a new set of weather tech mats waiting for it to arrive, sadly the weather tech mats from the old truck wouldn’t work for the new truck.

I traded my 2016 F-350, King Ranch, 4x4, crew cab, 8’ bed, DRW, 6.7L P.S., 3.73, with 32K miles. I love the heated steering wheel, the pro backup assist and the 48 gallon fuel tank in the new truck.

The new truck is a bit of an over kill for my 30’ 5th wheel, 2020 Puma 257RESS, 9,400 lbs loaded. But I’d rather have more truck than I need, I do miss my 2005 Peterbilt though.
Lighting546 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150, ford, tow, tow vehicle