Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #1

Over height on fifth wheel

I have looked at this forum for awhile without becoming a member. I just purchased a 2020 Silverado 3500 and I have a Cedar Creek with a B&W hitch and a TrailAir pin box. I am now 13ft 71/2in tall. The B&W is in the lowest setting. I can not see the bolt holes that’s left on the pin box. I noticed when I let the air out of the bladder on the TrailAir pin box the camper dropped. What would be the cheapest, replace the TrailAir with a standard pin box or install a MORryde pin box. I’m not interested in changing my hitch.
travlinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #2

Many of us are just shaking our heads over the ride height of newer pickups. It's near where you just can't get a level camper and have to settle for a tail dragger to some extent. Anyways ... some pickups can have spacers removed from the rear axle ... you might check into that.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Many of us are just shaking our heads over the ride height of newer pickups. It's near where you just can't get a level camper and have to settle for a tail dragger to some extent. Anyways ... some pickups can have spacers removed from the rear axle ... you might check into that.
Nope don`t remove your axle spacers, bad advice all around. What you can do is go to a truck custom shop or on line by the hunderds and buy lowering shackels for your springs. Safe, simple, cheap, a few common wrenches an hour of time and you can get your to high truck down 2 inches. This is just one of many vidieos about installing them.

Resse Goose box hitch, Mor/Ryde SRE 4000, X Factors, shocks... real smooth ride
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:16 PM   #4

I'm just curious and willing to learn ... what difference does it make if you lower the trucks rear end by removing spacers (if there are any) as opposed to going with lowering shackles? They both effect the pinion angle somewhat. For several years I've been running with out the OEM spacers that were removed by a local spring and axle business that is widely used in this area. No vibration, no ripping out u-joints, no change in handling.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:01 PM   #5

What do you mean by "over height"?
If you mean the overall height of 13' 71/2" that is ok if it is reasonably level other than having to watch overhead clearances. Clearances on public roads are posted for anything less than 14'. Branches and such are another matter.
Our Cedar Creek 34RL2 stands exactly 13' 6" when hitched and I have twice had to replace both the TV antenna and forward vent cover, and the forward A/C cowl is cracked and marred to heck. When hitched we have to use truck lanes when refueling as with both height and length (maneuverability) leave very few options to use service stations/convenience stores.
If your new truck is a diesel I recommend you go to TSD Logistics' web site and join their RV fuel program. It's free and will save you a lot of $$ when fueling at truck stops. If you do apply (simple and on-line at the web site) please indicate I recommended you.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #6
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlinon View Post
I have looked at this forum for awhile without becoming a member. I just purchased a 2020 Silverado 3500 and I have a Cedar Creek with a B&W hitch and a TrailAir pin box. I am now 13ft 71/2in tall. The B&W is in the lowest setting. I can not see the bolt holes that’s left on the pin box. I noticed when I let the air out of the bladder on the TrailAir pin box the camper dropped. What would be the cheapest, replace the TrailAir with a standard pin box or install a MORryde pin box. I’m not interested in changing my hitch.
It seems no one has asked the key question: is your 5th wheel level when hooked up.

I have a cedar creek, RAM 3500 with B&W hitch and TrailAil pin box. I am 13'5". My 5th wheel is level going down the road.

A picture will help.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #7

How much space do you have between your camper & the top of your trucks bed rails ?
Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:47 PM   #8

If I am not mistaken, 13 ft 6 inches is maximum height allowed by federal law. Semi trailers are not allowed to be any higher than that.
K5460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5460 View Post
If I am not mistaken, 13 ft 6 inches is maximum height allowed by federal law. Semi trailers are not allowed to be any higher than that.
There is no federal restriction on height. So every state is allowed to set their own restrictions. Most are 13'6" and 14', with a few exceptions. And several states have multiple height restrictions depending on what road you are on.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:32 PM   #10
New to FR. Old to TT

We have a 2019 CC36CK2 and when level we are 13'7" at the front ac unit, when hooked up to our 2018 GMC the trailer is about 1" nose high and have about 6"-7" of bed clearance. Works well and we use mostly gas stations to fill up, just really careful about entrance and exit strategy. The newer CC36ck2 are shorter in height but have lower inside bedroom height. I am 6'8" and like the taller bedroom and bathroom.
Tall frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Another option if you don't already have one, would be to replace your forward AC with a low profile unit as that is most likely the highest point and then resell your old unit to recoup some of the cost. That should drop your overall height a couple inches.
rather_b_camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #12

TandSH is right about getting a Fleet fuel card from TDS Logistics. I got mine from TSD just before my current trip and I am saving as much as .45/gallon of diesel. Just follow the rules and use the truck refuel lanes at the preferred truck stops. Good luck. Save those $$$
kermitvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:50 PM   #13

on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I'm just curious and willing to learn ... what difference does it make if you lower the trucks rear end by removing spacers (if there are any) as opposed to going with lowering shackles? They both effect the pinion angle somewhat. For several years I've been running with out the OEM spacers that were removed by a local spring and axle business that is widely used in this area. No vibration, no ripping out u-joints, no change in handling.
I`d check with your dealer, they would likely give you the reason that you will believe. Axle shop is out to make money off of what the customer wants the dealer is out to prevent warranty claims. I`d bet a dealer will refuse to do the removal. Lowering shackles have been around for decades and most if not all are limited to 2" inches in drop for a reason. They cost on average $45.00 (you install) if removing the blocks was a better or equal method why would any body sell them removing the blocks is a free ride zero dollars. What most people do with the Ford anyway, (probably the others to) is the 350 or 3500 come with a 4' block over the axle you can buy the 250 or 2500 axle block which is 2 inch shorter and install them with no ill effects. Again it is limited to 2 inches that has proven safe for all applications any more and you start changing the angles of the drive train to a point of a big maybe or maybe not problem. I drive a very expensive truck, not willing to screw with the geometry of the drive train to much that will certainly void any warranty claim at the dealer especially on a new truck. The lowering shackles bring the truck bed down to just before the over load springs engage ( 350 )and you keep the factory ride any more you are on the overload spring and it will rattle your teeth just riding around town unloaded. So this is why the 2" max. YM or truck MV.
Resse Goose box hitch, Mor/Ryde SRE 4000, X Factors, shocks... real smooth ride
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitvb View Post
TandSH is right about getting a Fleet fuel card from TDS Logistics. I got mine from TSD just before my current trip and I am saving as much as .45/gallon of diesel. Just follow the rules and use the truck refuel lanes at the preferred truck stops. Good luck. Save those $$$
Paid $2.05/gal today at Loves! Awesome!
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf26 View Post
How much space do you have between your camper & the top of your trucks bed rails ?
I have the same question. I would think that is going to be your problem, space between over hang on 5th wheel and truck bed rails.
joespring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #16

Quote:
I have a MoRyde pin box on my camper and really like it. The rubber snubbers really help with chucking. The most noticeable effect is when starting and stopping, it absorbs a lot of the shock felt with a solid pin box.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

The Ford forums are full of people who have put shorter axle blocks on their trucks to lower them. Nobody has reported an issue with this procedure.

FYI, Ford has responded to customer complaints about ride height. They lowered the 2020 SDs by an inch. They are still crazy high though . . .
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rather_b_camping View Post
Another option if you don't already have one, would be to replace your forward AC with a low profile unit as that is most likely the highest point and then resell your old unit to recoup some of the cost. That should drop your overall height a couple inches.
I already have a low profile air conditioner, the bedroom unit is 13,500
Old 03-01-2020, 05:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf26 View Post
I have 9 inches
Old 03-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall frog View Post
We have a 2019 CC36CK2 and when level we are 13'7" at the front ac unit, when hooked up to our 2018 GMC the trailer is about 1" nose high and have about 6"-7" of bed clearance. Works well and we use mostly gas stations to fill up, just really careful about entrance and exit strategy. The newer CC36ck2 are shorter in height but have lower inside bedroom height. I am 6'8" and like the taller bedroom and bathroom.
I think the pin box will have to be moved up one hole which is supposed to be from center of to center of next hole is 2 1/2 inches. I’m also going to have to move my hitch up one hole which is one inch. When I wear these all terrain tires out I’ll install highway tires and may drop a little. I drive mostly on major highways. I have had to turn around a time or two cause I didn’t listen to the Garmin.

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel