Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
I'm not seeing the GVCWR (gross of truck and towed vehicle) on the labels. Am I missing it? But if it leaves 12,500 after subtracting the truck as you indicate, your are good there.

If that Saber weight is GVWR and it has 20% pin weight (probably less) you have3303-1840 or about 1460# for the hitch, water and supplies, dog, occupants according to the payload rating. That seems doable.

The rear axle at 6340# has probably under 3000# on it unloaded (less than half the truck weight) so almost your whole payload could be on the rear axle and still be okay. Of course, likely less than 80% of it will be.

It's good to weigh and do the calcs before settling on the 5er, but you look good from what I see so far.

I towed a 9000# 5er with not too different specs and had lots of margin (my previous truck).

If there's any issue, it might be the gas motor. That depends on you. I found the 6.0L in my 2015 Chevy 2500 to be on the marginal side but livable towing 9000# in the mountainous western states, but not marginal enough to justify a diesel. I just didn't rush. But still I've been repeatedly told I should have a diesel.
GCWR is 19500 on this truck.

The number for the Saber came off the sticker on it. Now the sticker is 500 lbs lower than FR's specs online. UVW is listed @ 9978, hitch weight 1845 and a carrying capacity of 2267. GVW of the trailer is 12245 on paper, which I know is not real world.
Bwood BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy-Beast View Post
On thing to check on the 9500# 5th wheel trailer is that dry weight or GVWR?

If it is GVWR then 20% of that is 1900# and that is what you would need available as pin weight. If it is not listed as GVWR you need to find out what that is.

You also need to decide if you want any safety margin in there. For firewood or that painted rock the DW couldn't pass up on, Hey Lucy.
Dammit! You know my wife? She does have to pick up a rock as a souvenir everywhere she goes! That was her #1 request for me to get her from Switzerland last year when work sent me over there.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:36 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwood BBQ View Post
GCWR is 19500 on this truck.

The number for the Saber came off the sticker on it. Now the sticker is 500 lbs lower than FR's specs online. UVW is listed @ 9978, hitch weight 1845 and a carrying capacity of 2267. GVW of the trailer is 12245 on paper, which I know is not real world.

Ok, the hitch weight they listed is for the empty camper and is 18.5% of dry weight. Fully loaded with max cargo and using 20% for safety, 20% of 12245 is a pin weight of 2449#.
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2020, 06:33 PM   #244

Quote:
Dammit! You know my wife? She does have to pick up a rock as a souvenir everywhere she goes! That was her #1 request for me to get her from Switzerland last year when work sent me over there.

I've got one of those ... we spend a lot of time on the CA central coast. DW's pockets fill quickly with rocks when we hike the beaches.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy-Beast View Post
Ok, the hitch weight they listed is for the empty camper and is 18.5% of dry weight. Fully loaded with max cargo and using 20% for safety, 20% of 12245 is a pin weight of 2449#.

Oops. That changes things. Definitely need to run the numbers carefully and think about margin.

My dry pin weight was only 15% because of a rear kitchen ... until I moved the spare from the rear bumper to under the bed. That alone added over 80# to the pin.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:46 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
Oops. That changes things. Definitely need to run the numbers carefully and think about margin.

My dry pin weight was only 15% because of a rear kitchen ... until I moved the spare from the rear bumper to under the bed. That alone added over 80# to the pin.
Yep this was my main concern with this particular unit. It is a rear kitchen model but I wasn't too comfortable with the "posted" numbers. She understands and trusts my gut. Thanks for all the information, as soon as I can get on the scale I'll let you know the trucks actual weight. I appreciate it a lot guys, I know it's hard since I don't even have the hitch yet, but that's pretty easy weight to get for calculating things.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:50 PM   #247

Quote:
Yep this was my main concern with this particular unit. It is a rear kitchen model but I wasn't too comfortable with the "posted" numbers. She understands and trusts my gut. Thanks for all the information, as soon as I can get on the scale I'll let you know the trucks actual weight. I appreciate it a lot guys, I know it's hard since I don't even have the hitch yet, but that's pretty easy weight to get for calculating things.

Good luck.

BTW, even though a rear-kitchen 5er tends to have a heavy tail and light pin weight, a recipe for instability in a bumper pull, ours has been rock stable, helped I'm sure by being a 5th wheel and the weight of our 2500 truck. We reduce the impact of our rear kitchen somewhat by storing canned goods and heavy food stuffs in an entry closet that is just forward of the wheels. Heavier pots and pans are up there as well. Mostly bread and similar goes in the pantry which is on the back wall.

Tags
truck