Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #1

Paint sway bars

Hi, I use a husky centerline ts hitch. Over the last year it's gotten louder and louder and I have read all the stuff about not greasing the friction points, but I think the noise is caused by rust on the sway bar. The paint has been worn off over time and its bare metal. Should i repaint and if so how do i do that, just a rustproof spray paint?

Thanks for any help
Jeffgt80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #2

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Husky uses the friction style of sway control and for that reason I would advise against painting the friction surfaces. You can take the sway control apart by separating the halves and then clean the rust off the friction surface with a wire brush. The outer of the unit can be cleaned and painted. You might try adjusting the friction and see if that doesn't limit the noise level while still maintaining sway control. good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #3
Canadian Member

Welcome to the forum.

If your weight distribution hitch (WDH) came from Husky with paint on the surface there’s no reason you can’t re-paint it. Equal-i-zer advises that you can use some lubricant on the friction surfaces of their 4 point WDH but you’d have to check with Husky for what they recommend with their WDH.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Welcome to the forum.

If your weight distribution hitch (WDH) came from Husky with paint on the surface there’s no reason you can’t re-paint it. Equal-i-zer advises that you can use some lubricant on the friction surfaces of their 4 point WDH but you’d have to check with Husky for what they recommend with their WDH.
Equalizer also recommends touching up the paint occasionally to reduce corrosion - moreso the hitch head, but not sure why you wouldn’t do the same for the bars. Husky may state similar.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffgt80 View Post
Hi, I use a husky centerline ts hitch. Over the last year it's gotten louder and louder and I have read all the stuff about not greasing the friction points, but I think the noise is caused by rust on the sway bar. The paint has been worn off over time and its bare metal. Should i repaint and if so how do i do that, just a rustproof spray paint?

Thanks for any help
Ours didn't have any paint, but I have personally talked to Husky Customer Service about my hitch, because the trunnion on one side (where the sway bars go into the hitch) is very tight. Like we almost have to hammer it to move it.

I was told NOT to use any lubricant on the trunions, except on the bolts themselves, BUT it's fine to put lubricant (lightly) on the lift brackets where the spring bars go. If you're like us, that is where you are getting wear and rust. So, if the lift brackets are where it is, clean the rust off and put axle or ball grease on that area.

I'd call them. Their customer service is awesome in my book!

2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503s
2016 Ford F 150 3.5 L Ecoboost
Mrs.Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway