Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2018, 11:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanm View Post
Thanks for all the replies! One more question, if I just want to move my TT around the driveway, can I just hook up the Equalizer without the 4 point weight distribution bars? Does it hurt anything to tow with out those bars if just going slow or if needed to maneuver out of a tight spot and having to hook / unhook more than once?
Yes, you can do that. Your truck will sag but it will not hurt anything.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow1 View Post
Some brake controllers stay on when the tt is plugged into the tv. Me, I'd just unplugg it. Why risk killing the battery based off of other people's assumptions.
Assumption? Did you read the part about checking to see how it is on each truck

I'd rather leave it hooked up, if charge wire is controlled by a relay, than forgetting to plug it in when starting out early in the AM.

Can probably find the info in an owners manual by looking at fuse/relay diagram. Look for a relay that says "the chg" or something similar.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Assumption? Did you read the part about checking to see how it is on each truck

I'd rather leave it hooked up, if charge wire is controlled by a relay, than forgetting to plug it in when starting out early in the AM.

Can probably find the info in an owners manual by looking at fuse/relay diagram. Look for a relay that says "the chg" or something similar.
TitanMike I hope you don't weigh much since you just jumped on my back. I did not mention charge wire, I said trailer brake controller. It might have a factory relay for the charge wire or an aftermarket one or a blocking diode. Why spend the time trying to figure it out and be wrong with dead batteries when it takes seconds to unplug? How many rollout with out checking lights and without giving the brake a little pump to make sure the trailer brakes are working? I don't, do you?
Slow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:10 AM   #24
Newly Retired

No need to worry about the hitch or truck springs.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:50 AM   #25
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
I got my TT out of storage Friday evening so I could work on a few things. Parked in front of my house on the cul de sac street. Saturday morning I come out of my garage toward the rig and see my neighbor walking down the street with a camera. He stops across the street and starts taking pictures of my rig. I ask him what he’s doing and the response is “documenting”. Then he proceeds to lecture me about how I cannot have my rig in front of my own house EVER, which is not true. I reminded him that we had a conversation the day before about this and he said it was no problem. I also reminded him it would be back in storage Sunday. He said it had to be moved by 2 p.m. Saturday or else. I asked him if he would prefer that I park in front of his house, because I could. Then I told him I have 72 hours, so he should find something better to do on a beautiful Saturday. I got lots of things done on my rig Saturday and Sunday. Put it back in storage 3 hours ago, and it’s ready to camp next weekend.

We work hard to be good neighbors, and part of that is communicating and being reasonable despite the laws. Unfortunately, not all neighbors think alike, so I make sure to know the laws and my rights.
Seems like every neighborhood these days has a resident Gestapo!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:08 AM   #26
Insert witty title here

When I first brought my TT home, I had not yet widened my driveway to park it there but I needed it near my house while I prepared it for a trip to Ft Wilderness. First thing I did was call our local police to see if it would be ok to leave it park unattached up on the street next to my house. I then went around to all my neighbors to see if they would be ok with me doing this. Then I hung a sign on the camper with my name and phone number plus the name of the officer who said it would be ok. Finally, I surrounded it with orange traffic cones.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Most Cities, Towns, and HOA's have a 72 hour parking limit for RV's on street in front of houses.
Source? Did someone take a survey?

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:37 AM   #28
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
TitanMike I hope you don't weigh much since you just jumped on my back. I did not mention charge wire, I said trailer brake controller. It might have a factory relay for the charge wire or an aftermarket one or a blocking diode. Why spend the time trying to figure it out and be wrong with dead batteries when it takes seconds to unplug? How many rollout with out checking lights and without giving the brake a little pump to make sure the trailer brakes are working? I don't, do you?
Spending the time to figure things out is called learning.

And... a simple pull of the plug does leave a greater possibility of heading out for a trip without re-connecting, especially when all other items were left connected. This very thing has been documented in this forum several times so it does happen.

I like to know how MY stuff works.
I'm sure others do too and one will never know about their systems if they don't dive in and learn about them.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Cant speak for ALL brake controllers but the Prodigy (hooked to the truck mfr's pre-wired plug) I use shows when there is power being sent to the brakes. If it should ever leave power to the brakes when the brake light switch is not activated (the signal that turns on the power to the brakes in the controller) it would show itself while driving with hot brakes on the trailer from constant dragging.

As for "how many roll out without checking to see that their cord is plugged in"? Answer is "More than you think". I've seen hanging trailer connector wires hanging more times than should happen. People are just human and a lot get wrapped up in the excitement of leaving on a trip and forget some of the most basic things. The list is too long for here but one or two are failing to check hitch, failing to check tire pressures, failing to check brakes/lights, and on, and on, and on.

FWIW, I leave my plug in the socket for an overnight and no dead batteries yet. I did have one when I left my headlights on while shopping with the TV only, no trailer connected.

Everyone can make their own choices.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:54 AM   #30
Site Team

My truck's charge wire is always hot -- key on/key off; trailer hooked up/trailer not hooked up. I always unplug mine. I always plug it back when I pull out (except for that one time when I didn't -- that was before I made a checklist for DW to read off before we pull out).

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #31
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

For what it is worth...

I purposely put myself into the habit of checking all hookups before I roll...every single time!

Even when leaving a gas station!

Only takes 30 seconds to do...

By the way, I also unplug the pigtail from the truck when hitched up when it is going to be parked for a long period (ie.- longer than a lunch break) or when at an RV park for the night when plugged in to shore power.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Spending the time to figure things out is called learning.

And... a simple pull of the plug does leave a greater possibility of heading out for a trip without re-connecting, especially when all other items were left connected. This very thing has been documented in this forum several times so it does happen.

I like to know how MY stuff works.

I'm sure others do too and one will never know about their systems if they don't dive in and learn about them.
5picker, just like TitanMike you assume that everyone is capeable or willing or able to try to understand how their all their vehicle systems and accessories work. Most if not all inertia based trailer brake contollers have direct power from the battery(s). Most if not all late model vehicles have power to the brake light circuit at all times. So most brake controllers are on all the time. How many miliamps does your brake controller draw? How many does the tv draw when off? Is it over the threshold programmed into your general module that allows your vehicle to stay "asleep" when the key is off. Not many late model vehicles are truely on or off. There is a miliamp threshold that will cause the general module to wake up and check all the other modules. Brake controllers, unless designed by the vehicle manufacturer, do not fall under the control of the general module. So how many miliamps does your brake controller draw, how many does your tv sans brake controller draw, what is the wake up threshold for the tv general module, how many amps does the general module pull when on, and how long does this take to kill the tv battery? And why would anyone not do a walk around and check lights, hitch, connections before driving off? In my opinion that is just plain irresponsible, but that is only my opinion. The op came on here to get opinions, I gave mine. Not everyone wants to understand how their vehicle works on a mecahnical or electrical level hense why labor rates for mechanics are so high. Everything on the internet can be manipulated and therefore cannot be taken as fact. Lastly do not assume to know what the op or other posters know or don't know. I could be a rocket scientist or a ten year old kid, or both. As Mick Jagger said "Have some courtesy and restraint".
Old 12-31-2018, 12:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Source? Did someone take a survey?

-- Chuck
I've lived in a couple of HOA controlled communities. If you were to read the CC&R's for them you'd find that they are pretty much "boiler-plate". Why create something new to accomplish the same thing.

You can also look up Municipal Codes online. One site has them for a HUGE number of "Municipalities" across the nation. Parking rules for the cities I've lived in are all pretty much "72 hours", if they have restrictions at all.

As for HOA's, if you are fortunate to own a few acres outside of town, and can isolate yourself from less than considerate/tidy neighbors, wonderful. If you have a nice house in a nice community, in this day and age you need an HOA to protect your property value. Without them you end up sooner or later with houses that have knee high weeds where the lawn used to be, a couple of vehicles parked in front or alongside, with no engines (front end up in the air and hood off) and covered with blue tarps. Junk stacked where it's quite prominent to people who drive by to see if they want to buy in the neighborhood.

That really nice house you bought in the early 2000's could today be covered with algae/moss, have a patchwork of roof repairs, have peeling paint, and look like it would be more at home in an inner city -------- if it wasn't for an HOA to force people to maintain their houses.

Of course it really doesn't matter to a lot of people while living there, they only find out the consequences when they go to sell. My Daughter and her husband own a house a stones throw from mine. Their neighborhood-- No HOA. Mine----HOA. Their house over the last 20 years has appreciated in value about 5% per year. Mine? Over twice that. Last year's increase alone was 15%.

Personally I don't find HOA rules all that onerous. I mow my lawn, keep my landscaping maintained, and in the 15 years I've lived here painted the outside twice. My travel trailer is parked on a pad in my back yard (only has to be behind a fence in my HOA) and rather than using the garage to store "Stuff" I can actually park both my car and truck inside.

Several times the HOA has had to remind people that parking two or three extra cars on their lawn on a daily basis is not allowed. Likewise for the "project vehicle" that sits covered with a tarp for months in the driveway.

Considering that one's house is often their largest and most valuable asset, HOA's have become necessary in many areas to protect those assets. Otherwise you find neighborhoods looking more like some neighborhoods in Detroit (for example). Essentially all they are is a private code enforcement agent. Cities, Counties, and State, rarely do anything to enforce codes unless there is a major incident.

Again, everyone is free to choose.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
When I first brought my TT home, I had not yet widened my driveway to park it there but I needed it near my house while I prepared it for a trip to Ft Wilderness. First thing I did was call our local police to see if it would be ok to leave it park unattached up on the street next to my house. I then went around to all my neighbors to see if they would be ok with me doing this. Then I hung a sign on the camper with my name and phone number plus the name of the officer who said it would be ok. Finally, I surrounded it with orange traffic cones.
Very wise move. Most parking tickets in residential neighborhoods are the result of a complaint from a neighbor. You also get to meet your neighbors.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:26 PM   #35
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
5picker, just like TitanMike you assume that everyone is capeable or willing or able to try to understand how their all their vehicle systems and accessories work. Most if not all inertia based trailer brake contollers have direct power from the battery(s). Most if not all late model vehicles have power to the brake light circuit at all times. So most brake controllers are on all the time. How many miliamps does your brake controller draw? How many does the tv draw when off? Is it over the threshold programmed into your general module that allows your vehicle to stay "asleep" when the key is off. Not many late model vehicles are truely on or off. There is a miliamp threshold that will cause the general module to wake up and check all the other modules. Brake controllers, unless designed by the vehicle manufacturer, do not fall under the control of the general module. So how many miliamps does your brake controller draw, how many does your tv sans brake controller draw, what is the wake up threshold for the tv general module, how many amps does the general module pull when on, and how long does this take to kill the tv battery? And why would anyone not do a walk around and check lights, hitch, connections before driving off? In my opinion that is just plain irresponsible, but that is only my opinion. The op came on here to get opinions, I gave mine. Not everyone wants to understand how their vehicle works on a mecahnical or electrical level hense why labor rates for mechanics are so high. Everything on the internet can be manipulated and therefore cannot be taken as fact. Lastly do not assume to know what the op or other posters know or don't know. I could be a rocket scientist or a ten year old kid, or both. As Mick Jagger said "Have some courtesy and restraint".
With 3 posts you seem to have a point to prove so I'm not going to engage further than to say... Please re-read MY post.

I did not assume anything nor did I say everyone.
It was my suggestion they LEARN.

And... it has been posted on the forum (and in this thread) of folks admitting to driving off without checking connections. (and the like)

It is your choice to not believe they do but please don't try to make me believe it.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:41 PM   #36
Always Learning

Quote:
5picker, just like TitanMike you assume that everyone is capeable or willing or able to try to understand how their all their vehicle systems and accessories work.

And why would anyone not do a walk around and check lights, hitch, connections before driving off? In my opinion that is just plain irresponsible, but that is only my opinion.
I fall on both sides of this. I personally don’t have a lot of interest in how my truck works outside of “does it?” I disconnect my umbilical cord because there’s a chance that it could drain my batteries.

But, I’ve also gotten back to my camper after a 2 week flight and drove off without plugging it back in. Fortunately, less than a mile down the road, someone pulled up and told me I had no lights.

I’m also one who does a walk around “every time” and am a proponent of it. Heck, I run a site for RVing info and specifically have a YouTube video on a “proper walk around”.

But stuff happens.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:40 PM   #37

When I park in front of my house I put orange cones front and back. I put down the jack to relieve some weight off the TV. I unplug my electric connection as my Aux line is always hot but my break controller does shut down after a set time if the brakes have not been depressed. When I unplug I always store the plug in this so I don't drag it if I drive away without hooking it up.
https://www.rvautoparts.com/AP-Produ...EaAno2EALw_wcB
You just pull down the cover and plug in and it is held in place off the ground.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
With 3 posts you seem to have a point to prove so I'm not going to engage further than to say... Please re-read MY post.

I did not assume anything nor did I say everyone.
It was my suggestion they LEARN.

And... it has been posted on the forum (and in this thread) of folks admitting to driving off without checking connections. (and the like)

It is your choice to not believe they do but please don't try to make me believe it.
Nope nothing to prove. New to tts but not new to towing heavy or camping or the fine attributes of automobiles and machines. Just came to this forum looking for polite conversation(not quite what I found) and maybe help others with my experiance. My aim is not to offend or try to force others to think my point of view is the only one. Three posts does not make one a novice and 20,000 posts does not make one an expert but that is just my opinion.

To the OP, sorry for thread jacking. HOA's can suck when neighbors don't take time to understand the rules, bylaws or what have you. I live in an area where we have covenants on our properties and it can be a pain when a neighbor tells you you can't do something after looking it up and discussing it with them and the okay to do something you know you are allowed to do.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Most Cities, Towns, and HOA's have a 72 hour parking limit for RV's on street in front of houses.
OK, you just made this up probably because you confuse "most" with "more than one".

Quote:
Most parking tickets in residential neighborhoods are the result of a complaint from a neighbor.
And no documentation or facts on this either.

Best to use vague terms like "some" 'cuz even one or two counts as "some." In a binary event (either you can park or you can't) most is a least a simple majority.

Happy New Year,

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:31 PM   #40

Won't it be nice when we can get back out on the road and go camping instead of sitting at our computers nit picking other peoples posts?

Tags
parking