Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 09:39 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBDTx View Post
I will go check the truck ratings, but I thought the tow/tongue weight ratings assumed the load capacities were also applied. Will be back.
Nope! It goes against your payload.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:53 PM   #42
Site Team

If your payload capacity is truly only 1120lbs, it shows what has been discussed in this thread. That Tundras are well known to have poor payload capacities, compared to other brands of 1/2 ton trucks.
My F150 has a payload capacity of 1828lbs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 02-05-2020, 10:03 PM   #43

I was at a Toyota dealership recently looking at a small SUV and started asking him about pickups. He was very knowledgeable and honest, two traits of car salesmen I don't find very often. He actually steers people away from the Tundras if they plan of towing anything much over 5000#. We talked about the new upgraded truck when it eventually comes out. He is hoping that are going to fix this payload issue and based on his discussion with Toyota, he thinks it will happen...but not until 2021 model year at the earliest.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:11 PM   #44

Quote:
I am a 2019 Tundra owner. With a Rockwood Minilite 2109s. These are my personal load notes. Please tell me where it is wrong or what I may be missing or why the Tundra is deficient?

Truck Rating:
1120 lbs passengers and cargo
Max: 9000 towing capacity/900 lb tongue weight

Trailer Unloaded Ratings:
Weight: 4171
Cargo Max: 1521
Tongue weight: 412

Current trip tongue weight: 560 Lbs

I am sure the trailer is nowhere close to 5600 lbs loaded. I pack light but will really weigh it it is a possible issue, really.

2 passengers at 400 lbs max.
Bed/cargo load of 400 lbs max

What is the issue with Tundra tow rating? How big a trailer should I expect to pull with a 1/2 ton 4WD pickup?

You’re also not including your own weight in your calculations. Payload capacity of the truck is minus all occupants, not just passengers, and cargo. Driver weight is not accounted for in payload capacity.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #45

I have been really happy with my 2010 Tundra SR5 DC standard bed, reliable and comfortable, but!! It has 1380 payload and a de-rated towing from 10,300 to 9800 lbs. I towed a Keystone Outback 268RL TT with straight line WD hitch for a while. I think the TT was around 6,800lbs GVWR or so. It towed easily without a problem except big rig trucks, buses, etc would push it around the Interstate highways beyond what I could tolerate. Maybe adjustments (tires, springs, bags) would have helped but I upgraded to a fifth wheel trailer and a F350 Dually, solid stable care free towing now. With the 4.3 rear ratio, 400 lbs ft torque the Tundra is a rocket and accelerated that trailer easily. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:17 PM   #46

If you go to a Tundra forum you will see many pics of Tundras pulling some pretty heavy trailers. If you look at commercial drivers driving 1 tons you might wonder how they stay under that payload sticker. If you look at payload stickers on different vehicles types you might become very skeptical.

2014 Tundra 5.7 4:30 gearing 1270 payload
2016 Ram 1500 3.6 3:41 gearing 1980 payload
2015 Ford Edge Sport 2.7 eco boost 950 payload
2013 Dodge Dart 2.2 835 payload
2010 Ford Focus 935 payload ( from memory)

Really my old Tundra only had 300 pounds more payload than the wife’s edge. How about the ram towing capacity is less than half the weight of the Tundra but 700 pounds higher payload.

Tundras are very tough trucks that are very well built
Old 02-06-2020, 06:44 PM   #47

After spending an absurd amount of time verifying ratings and weights for my Tundra and researching SAE J2807, I find:
Truck payload capacity (net after installed options of 117 lbs, as indicated by an annoying yellow sticker on the driver door pillar) is: 1113 lbs
1113 lbs really is at least a half a ton, though?
Passengers (including driver) are, say, 380 lbs.
Assume the last measured tongue weight: 560 lbs.
Payload left: 173 lbs
Less hitch at 70 lbs?
Leaves 100 lbs instead of 400 lbs for cargo.
Not a bunch. Bummer.
Need to move stuff to the rear of the trailer (I understand the concept of needed tongue weight percentage) or leave some home.
The truck rides very nicely though, and handles bumps and rough roads much better than any of the previous pickups I have owned.
I would like to read the text of SAE J2807 to see how it addresses payload capacity, but was not willing to pay something like $80 to do so. The factors it seems to consider appear to ignore "payload capacity."
Aloha.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #48
Site Team

RBD, now you can see why Tundras have this reputation. Rams were just as bad but they have apparently improved thei payload numbers with the 2019 year line. Toyota is going to be last in addressing it.
What spurred this competition, was Ford when they has F150s with the Heavy Duty Payload package. They had payloads well over 2000lbs. My 2014 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package, has 1828lbs of payload capacity. Sadly I wasn't able to find a used one with the HDPP since they're as rare as hens teeth and those that have them, keep them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 02-06-2020, 07:39 PM   #49

I understand, and really would like to read the SAE standard. It seems to me it should address "payload capacity" ratings as well in addition to "tow ratings." I understand for tow ratings it assumes two 150 lb passengers/driver and a 70 pound hitch. I am wondering how it addresses "payload capacity," if at all, also to assume those same factors. I am not willing to pay to read it though.

I really like my Tundra (have owned two F-150's - maybe 1995 and 2010), a 1973 Crew Cab F-250, a Tacoma, and a Dodge) and prefer it to all of them, mostly.

My F-150 "super cab" from I think 1995 was a mule and would go anywhere, pull anything. But it did not have a full back seat and children appeared.....
Old 02-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #50

Quote:
I understand, and really would like to read the SAE standard. It seems to me it should address "payload capacity" ratings as well in addition to "tow ratings." I understand for tow ratings it assumes two 150 lb passengers/driver and a 70 pound hitch. I am wondering how it addresses "payload capacity," if at all, also to assume those same factors. I am not willing to pay to read it though.

I really like my Tundra (have owned two F-150's - maybe 1995 and 2010), a 1973 Crew Cab F-250, a Tacoma, and a Dodge) and prefer it to all of them, mostly.

My F-150 "super cab" from I think 1995 was a mule and would go anywhere, pull anything. But it did not have a full back seat and children appeared.....

The SAE standard doesn’t address payload because it’s strictly for towing/GCWR. Payload capacity is, technically, not part of measuring maximum tow rating for marketing purposes, which is pretty much all the standard is good for. I understand that it would be nice if it were, but it’s not necessary when setting the max tow rating based on the SAE standard. The standard also isn’t specifying the tow capacity of each individual vehicle, it’s used for marketing so manufacturers can make claims and people will know that the claims are based on a standard way of measuring and calculating which makes comparing trucks a little easier.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #51

Babock if that salesman is steering people away from a Tundra if they plan on towing much over 5,000 lbs., he never towed 5,000 lbs. with a Tundra and he is certainly not that knowledgeable. I’ve been towing my 5,000 lb. loaded camper for five years and I can tell you that 5,000 lbs. is not its upper limit. If I was to get a larger camper, I would feel confident taking it up to 7,000 lbs. loaded.

DieselDrax. I’m not exactly sure what you mean when you say driver weight is not accounted for in payload capacity. I find it confusing, when some charts say occupants, some passengers and to really confuse the matter by including a 150 lb. driver. Toyota starts with the truck’s Curb Weight (the truck’s weight with full fluids, no occupants and no cargo). So, whenever you see a Tundra’s Cargo Capacity, it will include all the people in the cab regardless what seat they’re sitting in.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:30 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufinger View Post

DieselDrax. I’m not exactly sure what you mean when you say driver weight is not accounted for in payload capacity. I find it confusing, when some charts say occupants, some passengers and to really confuse the matter by including a 150 lb. driver. Toyota starts with the truck’s Curb Weight (the truck’s weight with full fluids, no occupants and no cargo). So, whenever you see a Tundra’s Cargo Capacity, it will include all the people in the cab regardless what seat they’re sitting in.

You are indeed confused. The cargo capacity of a Tundra or any other pickup includes NO occupants. Not even the driver. The cargo capacity is most definitely not the capacity with all seats occupied. Not sure where you got that idea.

A driver and sometimes a passenger is included in the max TOW capacity but not the payload/cargo capacity. The only time all seats being occupied has been approximately accounted for is when looking at the slide-in camper weight limit for some trucks. That is not the same as the payload sticker on the driver’s b-pillar sticker. That sticker is the capacity as it left the factory and with a full tank of fuel, nothing else. No people.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:22 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
You are indeed confused. The cargo capacity of a Tundra or any other pickup includes NO occupants. Not even the driver. The cargo capacity is most definitely not the capacity with all seats occupied. Not sure where you got that idea.

A driver and sometimes a passenger is included in the max TOW capacity but not the payload/cargo capacity. The only time all seats being occupied has been approximately accounted for is when looking at the slide-in camper weight limit for some trucks. That is not the same as the payload sticker on the driver’s b-pillar sticker. That sticker is the capacity as it left the factory and with a full tank of fuel, nothing else. No people.
When I said included, I mean the weight of the passengers is part of the Cargo Capacity. For example, you have 1300 lbs. of Cargo Capacity and with 300 lbs. of passengers, you have 1000 lbs. of remaining Cargo Capacity. I'm not sure where you got occupied seats from.
Edit: The reason for my comment was because you were separating the driver from the passengers. What I was saying is that driver, occupants, passengers is all the same in how Toyota calculates its weight ratings and not broken out separately.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #54

Quote:
Babock if that salesman is steering people away from a Tundra if they plan on towing much over 5,000 lbs., he never towed 5,000 lbs. with a Tundra and he is certainly not that knowledgeable. I’ve been towing my 5,000 lb. loaded camper for five years and I can tell you that 5,000 lbs. is not its upper limit. If I was to get a larger camper, I would feel confident taking it up to 7,000 lbs. loaded.

Look at that yellow sticker on the driver's door jamb. It says the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed.... This is a picture of my yellow sticker. Yours should look very similar to it. Occupants includes the driver. The 150 lb driver is used when determining max tow rating, which is the most misused number in the RV world. It is a bragging rights number only, nothing more.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #55

Quote:
So what is your payload on your truck?

7000# with 12% tongue weight = 840#
WDH = 100#
2 occupants 350#
Cargo 200#

Grand Total = 1490#

With a 5000# trailer, you would be at 1230#.

Don't get me wrong, I love Toyotas but I won't buy a Tundra until they fix this payload issue. Toyota understands this and plans on fixing it with their next upgrade.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego View Post
With the 4.3 rear ratio, 400 lbs ft torque the Tundra is a rocket and accelerated that trailer easily. Good luck.
People get confused about comparing axle ratios between a truck of a different make. The Tundra has a 4.3 axle ratio because the gears of the transmission are higher than other brands. To really compare between brands, you have to look at the overall ratio...not just one.

As far as the torque, the 401 lb-ft is at 3600RPM vs a 2017 and up 3.5L Ford Ecoboost which is 470 at 2500RPM. This shows why Toyota is planning on coming out with its own V6 engine that is turbocharged.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:49 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Look at that yellow sticker on the driver's door jamb. It says the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed.... This is a picture of my yellow sticker. Yours should look very similar to it. Occupants includes the driver. The 150 lb driver is used when determining max tow rating, which is the most misused number in the RV world. It is a bragging rights number only, nothing more.

[IMG][/IMG]
I agree with you. In DieselDrax's comments he said when RBDTx estimated 400 lb. max for two passengers, DieselDrax said he wasn't including the Driver. All I'm saying is that with Toyota the driver and passengers are one of the same and not broken out separately.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:31 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
If you go to a Tundra forum you will see many pics of Tundras pulling some pretty heavy trailers. If you look at commercial drivers driving 1 tons you might wonder how they stay under that payload sticker. If you look at payload stickers on different vehicles types you might become very skeptical.

2014 Tundra 5.7 4:30 gearing 1270 payload
2016 Ram 1500 3.6 3:41 gearing 1980 payload
2015 Ford Edge Sport 2.7 eco boost 950 payload
2013 Dodge Dart 2.2 835 payload
2010 Ford Focus 935 payload ( from memory)

Really my old Tundra only had 300 pounds more payload than the wife’s edge. How about the ram towing capacity is less than half the weight of the Tundra but 700 pounds higher payload.

Tundras are very tough trucks that are very well built

I tow a puma 32bhks with a '17 tundra crewmax...never had a hiccup and the tundra has plenty of power and braking to spare. Tundras are way over engineered. Just bought a Mahindra Roxor to take with us when we go out to the woods...it's a great offroad vehicle.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:41 PM   #59

Payload capacity for you Tundra owners

Quote:
I agree with you. In DieselDrax's comments he said when RBDTx estimated 400 lb. max for two passengers, DieselDrax said he wasn't including the Driver. All I'm saying is that with Toyota the driver and passengers are one of the same and not broken out separately.

Then that is just adding confusion by using the wrong words. Drivers are not passengers. That is why manufacturers use the word occupants because it doesn’t matter if you’re a driver or a passenger as both of those are occupants. Saying 2 passengers is saying the weight of the driver isn’t included. If they called the driver a passenger then that is why there’s unnecessary confusion.

And again, driver and/or passengers are not accounted for in the payload capacity on the sticker. Here’s one for reference. Clearly says occupants and cargo should never exceed ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5472.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	222976
Old 02-06-2020, 10:45 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by The furnace View Post
I tow a puma 32bhks with a '17 tundra crewmax...never had a hiccup and the tundra has plenty of power and braking to spare. Tundras are way over engineered. Just bought a Mahindra Roxor to take with us when we go out to the woods...it's a great offroad vehicle.

Power and braking have nothing to do with payload capacity and say nothing about being “over engineered.” More hyperbole.
Closed Thread

Tags
tundra