Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2019, 03:14 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
The Ram should be on the auction block. These RAM trucks are notorious for low payload. My 18 F-150 has 1700 payload and its a loaded Lariat model. With an XLT I would likely be close to 1900
I kind of agree.... You'll lose your butt selling off a nearly new camper, but you can private sell the truck and private buy a new to you 2500 that will more than meet your requirements. It you can buy a new 2020 Chevy/GMC half ton since they sound like they are in the lead for payload this year.

Honestly, I got out of my Rebel with air ride and into this 2500 and while the new one doesn't ride equally as nice, it's still a dang comfortable ride and extremely well appointed interior with awesome creature comforts and much better safety technology. I now have blind spot, Android Auto, cross path detection, front end sonar detection.... Overall, the truck moved me up in comfort and convenience with a slightly stiffer ride that feels strong and solid while not being stiff and jarring. My old 2017 1500 Rebel truck had a $575 lease payment, the new one has a $750 buy payment.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:15 PM   #142
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankH35 View Post
Kinda what I thought. Just assumed when they printed that off and gave it to me it would be the same since it had the VIN. My own fault for not confirming it by looking in the door. So disappointed. I'm just about done with attempting to tow any kind of a travel trailer with a half ton truck. But I'm not willing to sacrifice features and comfort (or pay a much higher price) for a 3/4 ton. Seems like with a half ton you can't tow much of anything with even a double axle. Slides almost always are out of the question.
A F150 3.5 Ecoboost with the HDPP option, can have payloads over 2000lbs. My 2014 F150 SCREW 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost has 1828lbs of payload capacity. But that's with the Max Tow package only, not the HDPP.
I tow a 26 1/2' tandem axle TT that weighs around 6000lbs loaded. It tows like a dream.
But, when I was shopping for a truck I was well aware of the low payloads on Rams and Tundras. I must have looked at nearly 75 used crewcab Ram's and Tundras. It was shockingly common to see payloads under 1000lbs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:28 PM   #143

Sorry just bought the truck 3 days ago. It cost about 50K. I only paid about 17 for the camper. Camper will have to be the one that goes.
FrankH35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
That does seem odd.....a factory built truck with a door sticker written with a Sharpie. Was the original truck a cab & chassis and the dealer put a box on it after the build?

Well, now I'm confused. I was under the impression that all of them are custom. I thought one of the last things done at the factory as it comes off the line is weighing it and calculating the actual CCC or Payload.

As such, the sticker is already on the door jamb.

I just looked closer and it is a handwritten paint pen, but one a little sticker that is stuck onto the door. See pic.

I guess they could "type" the number and put it on the sticker at the end of the line.........somehow. But all the ones on the lot that I saw were like this.

This is a GMC Denali, not any Cab/Chassis, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sticker.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	220336  

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Well, now I'm confused. I was under the impression that all of them are custom. I thought one of the last things done at the factory as it comes off the line is weighing it and calculating the actual CCC or Payload.

I just looked closer and it is a handwritten paint pen, but one a little sticker that is stuck onto the door. See pic.

I guess they could "type" the number and put it on the sticker at the end of the line.........somehow. But all the ones on the lot that I saw were like this.

Definitely not normal, every payload sticker on every truck I've had has had the payload number printed on it just like the VIN. That handwritten number seems awfully strange to me, perhaps there was a recall and the "fix" was for the dealer to write a corrected payload number on there? I have other stickers on some vehicles from recalls where the VIN was hand-written.

I'd definitely want to know what's up with that and at the very least I would hit the scales with the truck as empty as possible and see if that number could be anywhere near accurate or if someone tried to pull a fast one.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

It's possible the stock number is higher and they added dealer installed options like spray in bed liners, running boards...that would decrease payload.

I wonder what is under the white sticker they put on.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:39 PM   #147
Grammar Pedant

Was the VIN also hand written?

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Was the VIN also hand written?
It's right there on the sticker not handwritten.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #149
Brake is on left

Changes made by dealer installed options or an authorized upfitters (think police, military, EMS) can change the GVWR on a vehicle. Maybe there were changes made post delivery to the dealer.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote