Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #1

Payload Capacity May Be A Game Changer!

I have been reading this forum for the past year and have followed the advice of reading/following the "TIRE AND LOADING INFORMATION" sticker when it comes to payload/cargo capacity. What weight is this sticker referring to?? Does this mean that this F150 can only carry 1404 pounds??? My Buick Enclave's sticker has a higher number than that! Can I carry more weight in my Enclave than in an F150?

I have asked several Ford dealers about this sticker and the consensus is that the weight number listed is PER TIRE. Several Ford dealers said they are asking Ford Motor Co about this, but none have heard back.

Ford's website says: "Base Curb weight + Cargo Weight + Passenger weight = Gross Vehicle Weight" Furthermore, it goes on to say: ""Payload is the combined maximum allowable weight of cargo and passengers that the truck is designed to carry. It is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating minus the base curb weight"!

GVWR = 7200
Curb weight = 5586
Payload = 1614 (not 1404!)

In some instances, I've noticed a greater difference between the math method of Payload vs the Tire & Loading Sticker!

If 1404# is the max that someone could carry in their F150, I would think that there are thousands of "overloaded" F150's out there.

-Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG953101.jpg
Views:	1228
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	217475  
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
Always Learning

First, it is NOT 1,400 pounds per tire.

Second, yes it is 1,400 pounds of carrying capacity for that specific truck.

That carrying capacity carries any changes to the truck's base configuration, anything you add onto it (topper, bed cover, cattle guard, etc.), people, pets, anything put into the cab, on top of the cab, into the truck bed, weight of your WDH hitch (if applicable), and tongue weight.

Yes, many trucks are overloaded (from 1/2 ton trucks up through duallies).
Old 10-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #3

That payload number is definitely not per tire, it is for the whole truck and is for that specific truck. I don’t know where you got the curb weight number from, but don’t bother trying to get it off the internet as every truck varies based on trim level and options.

GVWR - payload number on sticker = curb weight of the truck as it left the factory.

That 1,404LB number is your truck’s payload capacity as set by the manufacturer. That is what it is capable of carrying, people, gear, and hitch weight, before reaching the GVWR.

SUVs tend to have higher payload capacities but lower GCWRs and in return have lower tow capacities. They’re people carriers and not tow vehicles, generally speaking.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #4

It just doesn't make sense!!?? My Enclave has a greater payload capacity than an F150?

The Ford dealers that think that it must be per tire use the argument that the sticker is all about tires: a tire is pictured; the inflation rate is posted there; the tire size is listed there.

Ford's website stated that Payload is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating minus the base curb weight. When you do that math, it doesn't come to 1404#.

This is making it difficult to choose a truck

-Rich
Old 10-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45RPM View Post
It just doesn't make sense!!?? My Enclave has a greater payload capacity than an F150?

The Ford dealers that think that it must be per tire use the argument that the sticker is all about tires: a tire is pictured; the inflation rate is posted there; the tire size is listed there.

Ford's website stated that Payload is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating minus the base curb weight. When you do that math, it doesn't come to 1404#.

-Rich

Please reread my post above. I touch on all of these factors.

If you need more payload from a truck then you may need to step up to a 3/4 ton to get the trim/features/configuration you want.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #6

Based on the sticker posted above, the truck has Load Range B (35 PSI) tires which I would bet is the overriding factor on the cargo capacity number.

You would have to get the load carrying number off the tires and multiply by 4. I expect it will be just under the 7200 pound GVWR. ie. 5586+1404=7000 pounds or 1750 lbs per tire.

If indeed that's the case, upgrading to 50psi tires would likely get you to the 7200 GVWR.
Windjammingnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #7

The VIN number in your photo is a 2014 F150 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L

The 4x4 option and Super Crew cab really cut down on payload...see photo below from the Ford 2014 Towing Guide
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	f150.gif
Views:	2926
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	217482  
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #8

Thanks for your replies, DieselDrax. You stated "That 1,404LB number is your truck’s payload capacity as set by the manufacturer." Yet Ford says "Payload is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating minus the base curb weight."

The base curb weight is specific to each vehicle. Ford says that this truck has a GVWR of 7200#. Ford also says that this vehicle left the factory weighing 5586#. So according to Ford, the Payload is 1614#

-Rich
Old 10-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammingnc View Post
Based on the sticker posted above, the truck has Load Range C (35 PSI) tires which I would bet is the overriding factor on the cargo capacity number.

You would have to get the load carrying number off the tires and multiply by 4. I expect it will be just under the 7200 pound GVWR. ie. 5586+1404=7000 pounds or 1750 lbs per tire.

Sorry, no. The manufacturer will not and cannot sell a vehicle that has tires incapable of carrying the factory GVWR. You are taking the curb weight the OP pulled off the internet for some other trim/option truck and applied it to a different truck with a different trim/options and is trying to make that math work with the payload listed. It won't work. Your suggestion is just going to add confusion because it is also a false assumption.

GVWR - payload on sticker = curb weight of the truck in question as it left the factory.

Similarly, implying that the OP could increase payload capacity by upgrading tires is also false.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for your replies, DieselDrax. You stated "That 1,404LB number is your truck’s payload capacity as set by the manufacturer." Yet Ford says "Payload is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating minus the base curb weight."

The base curb weight is specific to each vehicle. Ford says that this truck has a GVWR of 7200#. Ford also says that this vehicle left the factory weighing 5586#. So according to Ford, the Payload is 1614#

-Rich

Where are you getting this "5586# curb weight" number from? That may help sort out your confusion.

It looks like you're getting it from this or something similar...

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...F150_Specs.pdf

That says BASE curb weight, meaning for the BASE truck with that configuration. Meaning the curb weight will increase with higher trim levels and options, which is what I said before. Assuming that every truck in that cab/engine/drive configuration has the same curb weight regardless of trim or options is a bad assumption. This is why your math isn't adding up.

Ignore the "base" numbers Ford publishes, you must go by the payload sticker on the specific truck you're looking at to get more accurate numbers.

So again, GVWR - payload number on sticker = that specific truck's curb weight.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:17 AM   #11

Sticker clearly say combines weight occupants and cargo should not exceed 1404 . what the enclaves sticker say ? my be a better towing platform lol
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #12

The dealer provided me with the curb weight. I'll have to go back to him and ask for the source.

-Rich
Old 10-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #13

Quote:
The dealer provided me with the curb weight. I'll have to go back to him and ask for the source.

-Rich

Rule #1 - Never trust the salesperson's information. Do your own research. All the salesperson did is pull up the same base spec sheet I did.

Salespeople will tell you anything to make a sale. They'll tell you an F-150 could tow a 15,000LB 5th wheel if it would make the sale and not be liable because it was never put in writing and it's your responsibility, not theirs, to ensure you're not overweight.

Trust us, not the dealer.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #14

DieselDrax, you are correct.

In the end, the best way to know is to take the truck to a scale and weigh it with nothing in it but a full tank of fuel and yourself.

That will give you the only real number of how much CCC you have. I always weigh my combo to make sure I am not exceeding my ratings (by much)....
Windjammingnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:

-Rich
The maximum payload is the GVWR minus the base curb weight.

The sticker is the GVWR minus the weight of that truck from the factory.

Oh, and any Ford dealer who tells you that sticker is per tire has their heads up their bums. Run far from them.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #16

More research!!!
Old 10-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #17

Attached is a screenshot of the page showing the exact same curb weight the OP says the dealer quoted. If the truck in question is in fact a 3.5EB and not a 5.0 then the dealer didn't even quote the base curb weight for the correct truck. Which is totally irrelevant anyway since it doesn't give any information about a specific truck sitting on the lot. That is why that payload sticker exists, so consumers don't have to have the trucks weighed before they buy in order to find the "real" payload capacities. Mfr docs and marketing materials will show general information based on base, no-option trucks as those are the ones that will provide them with the "class-leading payload and towing" that they like to claim.

It is up to us as consumers to do our homework and know what to look for to find out if the truck is going to meet our needs or not. I have no doubt that there are salespeople out there telling people that a fully-loaded 4X4 truck has the same tow capacity as the max tow the mfr claims for the base truck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 11.33.13 AM.png
Views:	307
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	217483  
Old 10-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #18

If you put 4x1404 in and o. Your truck you will quickly find your dealer has no idea what they are talking about. I have a friend who is moving across country. I have told him many times his 1500 ram is limited he made a very over loaded trip last week. Before he left i looked at his suspension and pointed out he is so overweight that his rear coil springs were in a u shape and looked like they were going to pop out. He lightened the load but not by much. He was very disappointed with the truck by time he got home.
Quote:

-Rich
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #19

Quote:
More research!!!

Yup, if you need a truck with a specific minimum payload capacity then you don't need any information from the dealer other than what that payload sticker says. That is the real payload number as the truck left the factory. Doesn't include any occupants (no driver, no passengers) or any dealer-added options.

So if you, your spouse, and your dog weigh a combined 450LB then you would subtract 450LB from the payload sticker.

1404 - 450 = 954LB remaining payload capacity for gear in the bed/cab and trailer hitch weight.

Not to make things more confusing, but if you have a specific trailer in mind that you're wanting to buy as well then don't go by the "dry weight" or the hitch weight published in the brochures or on the websites as those are not what you will ever see. Your best option for calculating tow and hitch weights are to use the trailer GVWR for the max tow weight you could see and 15% of the trailer GVWR as the hitch weight.

So if a trailer has a 7,500LB GVWR then it could have a hitch weight of around 1,125LB, well over the remaining 945LB left in my example above.

So, 1125 (potential hitch weight) plus 450 (people/pet weight) = 1,575LB minimum payload capacity. I would add in some additional weight as a buffer, for example if you might want to take some friends or kids along for the trip, load firewood into the bed, etc, then include some approximations for them into the above weight. There's an old saying...you can never have too much truck.

Research is key and important, I'm happy that you are taking the time to learn this BEFORE spending the money so kudos to you for that.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #20

Watching ..... I do like a good payload talk .... I learn more every time
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote