Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2020, 09:47 PM   #61

The scale only determines weight. Payload is calculated with that and other information.
It is not a legal matter but rather a manufacturer’s recommendation. At least in the size vehicle you are referring to.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:07 PM   #62

I was in the same boat as the OP. I hadn’t purchased the new 2019 Ram 2500 Limited with Ram Box and Cummins, yet, but had done the paper work and was awaiting resolution of a recall before taking delivery when I realized the payload was 1840#. Most of the 5er toy haulers we were looking at were in the area of 3000# pin weight. I ended up canceling that deal and moving up to a new 3500 Limited with the HO Cummins and 3950# payload.
BTW, I traded a 2015 2500 6.4 Hemi that had close to 3000# payload. That big’ol oil burner burns up a lot of payload too!!
Ezgoin721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:20 PM   #63

Yes but the way runs makes it worth it.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:05 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
... I weighed the setup several years back and found no concerns with my approx 12000 lb setup even though the pin weight was only a few hundred pounds over the rated GAWR and will say that the truck has much more towing capacity than Dodge reports. ...
Fantastic!!!!!!!!!! its great to hear someone who knows more about the truck than the engineers who built it!

My grandmother smoked 2 packs a day and lived to be 89...smoking must be safe...this proves it.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:40 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieRV View Post
Live and learn and do your research...
I bought a 2019 Ram 2500 diesel and was told it could tow up to 17,500 pounds. I'm thinking WOW! A 5er would not be a problem. I currently have a bumper pull. Well, after reading this forum and doing my due diligence I found out that my Ram's payload was only 1908#. Subtracting mine and DW weight along with supplies my payload MAX would be approx 1300#. Unless I purchased a 5ver that had TOTAL wt of 6500# I would be over.
I traded by Ram (that I liked) but sucky payload for a 2020 F350 with Turbo Diesel. My new payload is 3504# so I will have no problem purchasing a 5ver of our choice.
This was an expensive lesson I have learned. I'm sure there will be many more. Just wanted to post this 'lesson' for anyone looking to buy a TV. Payload, Payload, Payload. I love this forum. Thank you.
Why didnt you just buy a 3500 Ram ? My 16 3500 SRW payload is 3960
Keithfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #66

Red face Government rules sometimes restrict companies!

Hey "BigH" that is why I don't post much on these forums because there is always someone that has to be sarcastic and slam other peoples opinions and point of view. Axle weight is usually the deciding factor on the total weight restrictions. The 3500 and 2500 use the same axles and frames. The 3500 has a beefier spring setup (not much more) and has 4 tires instead of 2. Everything else is the same. By the way, I work in a very government regulated industry and yes sometimes certain specifications are delimited and not listed because you have people that always abuse them. In our sue mentality society companies have to protect themselves anyway they can. Like I have said before, common sense goes a long way and these companies will also say anything they can to sell you the next expensive vehicle. Just my two cents worth!
JColeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #67

The sarcasm is so informative, nothing but the best information from the most knowledgeable people.
Not only are the axles the same but often times next year the very same factory engineers will increase that RATING for competitive reasons.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #68
jkoenig24

I always recommend that newbies decide FIRST on the trailer they want / need. THEN shop for the tow vehicle. Doing it the "normal way" (getting vehicle first) it's WAAAAAY too easy to have less tow vehicle than what's really needed for the trailer they've fallen in love with.

It's easy to know when a vehicle salesperson is lying; they're lips are moving.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:55 AM   #69

I say there is an easy way to solve all this towing problem. Just go out a buy a Dodge 350 dully with a diesel in it and you can pull any RV made to be towed. No need to read all that weight stuff just hit the road, BUT---make sure all tires are checked for proper air pressure and wheel bearings are greased.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyote61 View Post
I say there is an easy way to solve all this towing problem. Just go out a buy a Dodge 350 dully with a diesel in it and you can pull any RV made to be towed. No need to read all that weight stuff just hit the road, BUT---make sure all tires are checked for proper air pressure and wheel bearings are greased.
I think that used to be true.
My nephew has the exact truck you described. Went out and bought the biggest toy hauler he could find. After a year of using it loaded with toys, he has decided that he doesn't have enough truck.
He is now looking at used in the 550 range or a semi tractor.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #71

Yikes overkill

Oh boy, I think that might be a bit of over kill but whatever floats his boat. Or pulls his 5th wheel
Old 03-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #72

There seems to be a lot of misinformation her. First off a occupant is not the driver, if you weigh any of these vehicles, new from the factory, full of fluids the cargo capacity will be the difference between GVWR and actual weight will be the 150 pounds for the driver. The scale will read 150lbs less. But if that is the make or break you then you need a bigger truck.

If on the off chance that a dot inspector wanted to weigh you, you must fall into both licensed weight and manufacture weight. The lower number cannot be exceed. If you are running around with 6k plates on a 3/4 ton you need a ticket.
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #73

I guess when you say 6k plates you are referring to weight fees?
In some states there is no weight fee. Also with a truck camper installed in some states you can register as a car without any weight fee.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #74
jkoenig24

More and more RVers are turning to TRUE MDTs (Medium Duty Trucks) and HDTs (HEAVY Duty Trucks) for a variety of reasons. Trailers are getting heavier every year; LGTs (LIGHT Duty Trucks like the F350), often no longer cut it. Federal DOT regulations put trucks into one of eight classifications going by what the truck builder lists as the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) posted on the Federally mandated Data Plate. Classes 1, 2 and 3 are classified as LIGHT duty trucks (think F150, F250 and F350 as well as the Dodge and GMC equivalents). Classes 4, 5 and 6 are classified as MEDIUM duty trucks (F450, F550 and F650 as well as the Dodge and GM equivalents). Classes 7 and 8 are classified as TRUE HEAVY DUTY Trucks (BIG BOY trucks vs Little Girly Trucks according to the HDT owners). Class 7 HDTs start with a GVWR of 26,001# and go up to 33,000#. NOTE: Ford DOES make an F750; you just don't see F750's very often. Class 8 HDTs start at 33,001# and go up from there. I have seen custom trailers that top 40,000#! NO "pick up" based truck can safely handle the new Big Boy trailers. The safety margins provided by HDTs far exceed anything and everything that MDTs and especially LDTs can even dream of. The HDT folks hold three rallies even year. In April, there's the ECR (East Coast Rally) in TN. June finds the WCR (West Coast Rally) in ID. October has the National HDT Rally in KS. EVERYBODY is welcome at these HDT rallies. These rallies are an EXCELLENT place to see a good variety of HDTs and, get a good education for those interested in "graduating" to a true HDT. A long time ago, Ford used to use the moniker HDT as a sales tool. Long ago, Ford switched to "Super Duty" I believe so that they would not run afoul of Federal DOT rules. Last year, I thought I saw Ram use the words "Heavy Duty" in their advertising of LGTs. I haven't heard such claims recently though. I wonder if Ram corporate got a call from the Federal DOT? For ANYONE interested in towing a trailer, perform your due diligence! I recommend that you get the trailer BEFORE you get the truck. That way, you'll know EXACTLY just how much truck you'll need (and you may be surprised at just how much tow vehicle you DO need); especially when you want to have a generous safety margin.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #75

Yes, in Wisconsin plates are issued in 2k increments A,B,C,X,D,E,F. There is a surprising number of duallys with 6k plates. A bumper hitch doesn't count against the weight but a saddle mount hitch does. I have heard of quite a few tickets issued for being over registered weight even though they are under GVWR.
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:35 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
Hey "BigH" that is why I don't post much on these forums because there is always someone that has to be sarcastic and slam other peoples opinions and point of view. Axle weight is usually the deciding factor on the total weight restrictions. The 3500 and 2500 use the same axles and frames. The 3500 has a beefier spring setup (not much more) and has 4 tires instead of 2. Everything else is the same. By the way, I work in a very government regulated industry and yes sometimes certain specifications are delimited and not listed because you have people that always abuse them. In our sue mentality society companies have to protect themselves anyway they can. Like I have said before, common sense goes a long way and these companies will also say anything they can to sell you the next expensive vehicle. Just my two cents worth!
Maybe you don't post much because your endorsement about going above GAWR by 'a few hundred pounds' isn't well received. What number is too high?

Fact: Both Chevy and Ford have used different axles for 3/4 ton and 1 ton srw in SOME configurations up until 2019 and both have used different frame thicknesses for different GVWR (I don't have direct related facts on Ram).

What do you want people to do? Pick any number over GAWR that you want?
Doing what you want is one thing endorsing something so others will follow is ridiculous and reckless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
The sarcasm is so informative, nothing but the best information from the most knowledgeable people.
Not only are the axles the same but often times next year the very same factory engineers will increase that RATING for competitive reasons.
First of all your lack of description (underlined) is absolutely false for GM and Ford when talking about 3/4 to 1 ton srw. Not all configurations use the same axle...and that is a fact.

Right, so let me get this straight...because of what a manufacturer might do in the coming years means its ok to try and guess what they might do and pick a number out of a hat. Really?

What on earth is to be gained by telling folks its ok to go above GAWR? Anyone?

Absurd and reckless advice gentlemen...
Old 03-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #77

My Ram 2500 says payload 2650. I have 5k Firestone Airbags and use the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch which weighs 40lbs. My 5th Wheel Hitch weight is around 2k but all my weight is on the trailer rear axle. All I have up front is tv sofas fireplace. Doesn't even drop my truck much maybe less than an inch. I guess it depends on everybody's setup. A 350lb hitch is a lot and deducted from payload with a bedroom bath closets full up front...Just seen a 40ft toy hauler fully loaded going down the road being hauled by a 2500 Ram..????? And the Andersen Hitch..
MikeyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #78

Boy, after all this info I'm glad I got out of the 5th wheel with Dodge 350 and into the Super-C DX3 pulling a 4x4 on a 20 ft trailer. SWEET!
Old 03-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieRV View Post
Live and learn and do your research...
I bought a 2019 Ram 2500 diesel and was told it could tow up to 17,500 pounds. I'm thinking WOW! A 5er would not be a problem. I currently have a bumper pull. Well, after reading this forum and doing my due diligence I found out that my Ram's payload was only 1908#. Subtracting mine and DW weight along with supplies my payload MAX would be approx 1300#. Unless I purchased a 5ver that had TOTAL wt of 6500# I would be over.
I traded by Ram (that I liked) but sucky payload for a 2020 F350 with Turbo Diesel. My new payload is 3504# so I will have no problem purchasing a 5ver of our choice.
This was an expensive lesson I have learned. I'm sure there will be many more. Just wanted to post this 'lesson' for anyone looking to buy a TV. Payload, Payload, Payload. I love this forum. Thank you.
I too had a similar lesson. I bought a 2019 Ford F250 not really reading the sticker on the door post. I figured, you know, a three-quarter ton, heck that can pull anything I’ll ever buy. After I bought my cougar fifth wheel, I looked at the weights. I was surprised to see that the hitch weigh took up most of the weight allowance. Glad I didn’t get something larger. My thinking was geared toward a towable trailer. It will tow 17,500 lbs which I was well within of which I had a couple of tons margin.
LeeB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #80

The one constant truth that bears itself out over and over again is...

If you are looking for an argument to justify what you want to do, you will no doubt be able to find it in a thread just like this.

If you want to justify purchasing a 1 ton, DRW, or MDT, you can find the justification you need right here.

If you want to justify keeping your current 2500 or whatever, you can find an argument to support that equally.

At the end of the day, YOU are the only one who you have to justify your decision to.. okay, maybe also to the real boss (aka the wife).

Mike