Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2020, 02:21 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
^^^Comparing a floor load on a house to being over GAWR on a tow vehicle...this is what you have to say after endorsing being over GAWR?

The door sticker on my truck says "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed XXXX" ...You cannot go over the GAWR on my truck without exceeding that XXXX number. Is that number an R as in rating? Ridiculous sir...

I asked a question and you replied with the quote above...please share all those years and experience and try answering this one more time: What on earth is to be gained by telling folks its ok to go above GAWR?
Who said there would be gain? If the R isn’t a rating then what is it?
You don’t think a floor load is important? Your choice. I think you are caught up in your post. I am sure you exceed that floor rating but it suits your need. Just because there is no sticker or you don’t know or care. You are just upset because I showed that you exceed a rating of your choice and it’s okay, but the poster who exceeded his axle RATING by 200lbs is so wrong and a violator in your view.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:22 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Just ran my new to me 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD double cab, work truck, 4x4, 6.0 gas. Full tank of gas, no humans on board, no gear in the truck. Brochure CCC is 2910 lbs. Yellow sticker on B pillar is 2,735. Per CAT scale chit, it is 2,840. GVWR is 9,500.

If I had the exact same truck with the diesel, the GVWR would be 10,000 lbs. Wonder if there is any difference in the truck itself or they just give you the extra 500 lbs to make up for the added weight of the oil burner.

Either way, the trailer we are looking at has a GVWR of 6,690 lbs, so we should be ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
First those weights seem like axle only. But anyway I would say the front springs and shocks may be the only difference without looking them up. No worries bigH will be along with all the pertinent info and metal thickness to the micron.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6&&FORM=VRDGAR
Old 03-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat456 View Post
So that is where the 150lbs is for the driver? Seems like either someone errored in their math skills or the new tires weigh 45 lbs more than the stock ones. Or there is a logging chain in the bed.
Tow ratings usually include the driver at 150#.
Cargo Capacity stickers state one way or another that occupants are part of that Cargo Capacity. See my 2019 F150 sticker picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1867.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	224974  
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:31 PM   #104

Quote:
Who said there would be gain? If the R isn’t a rating then what is it?
You don’t think a floor load is important? Your choice. I think you are caught up in your post. I am sure you exceed that floor rating but it suits your need. Just because there is no sticker or you don’t know or care. You are just upset because I showed that you exceed a rating of your choice and it’s okay, but the poster who exceeded his axle RATING by 200lbs is so wrong and a violator in your view.
LOL What did I exceed? I'm not upset and you didn't show me anything...

Actually the person said he exceeded his GAWR by a few hundred pounds and you are giving an endorsement for doing so. I don't think that is ethical, wise or prudent.

I want to talk about trucks not some diversionary comparison with floors you need to use to justify overloading a vehicle's GAWR.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Depends how you define an error. Design the fillet on a compressor blade wrong and you get to see parts flying out of an engine casing at just under the speed of sound. Most designs are written in blood, at least in the aerospace industry where I work.
As a pilot I realize the critical thinking. However engineering failures have occurred in that industry as we all know. I read every NTSB report on aviation and have for over 30 years. I know about DC-10 tail engine failure when fan blades cut hydraulic lines and when cycling the cabin pressure began counting instead of just hours (Aloha) to mention just a few. I read the ADs both one time and recurring. Yes the FAR various parts.
I owned a second business as a general engineering company and flew my personal aircraft back and forth at least 10 times a week.
Automotive engineering is not given that level of credence.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:00 PM   #106

Quote:
Automotive engineering is not given that level of credence.
Well that's disappointing. Never worked in that industry so I wouldn't know. I flew fighters and now I make weapons. Lots of safety engineering in those products.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #107

Good stuff! I learned something today. The gussets on the pumpkin and helper springs gets you 1,200 lbs of GVWR.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:39 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Tow ratings usually include the driver at 150#.
Cargo Capacity stickers state one way or another that occupants are part of that Cargo Capacity. See my 2019 F150 sticker picture.
Are you saying the driver is not an occupant?

I don’t understand why some are trying to make this so complicated. All we need to know is how much weight can be added before exceeding a certain number. The ONLY way to know this number is to get on a cat scale.

It is totally irrelevant what is added to the base, empty vehicle to attain maximum weight. If the number is, ie, 2,000 pounds then you can put 200 pounds of fuel on board then add nine 200 pound midgets (as long as one is the driver) and you have met your 2,000 pound number.

Just be glad you don’t have to figure maximum weight for an airplane since it can be up to at least 13 different numbers depending on a lot of different yet similar factors.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:35 PM   #109

Quote:
What is the floor load rating in your house? Do you ever exceed it?
Maybe you need a sticker at your front door.

No sticker, but you better believe I checked it before putting in a 200 gal saltwater fish tank.
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:39 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Are you saying the driver is not an occupant?

I don’t understand why some are trying to make this so complicated. All we need to know is how much weight can be added before exceeding a certain number. The ONLY way to know this number is to get on a cat scale.

It is totally irrelevant what is added to the base, empty vehicle to attain maximum weight. If the number is, ie, 2,000 pounds then you can put 200 pounds of fuel on board then add nine 200 pound midgets (as long as one is the driver) and you have met your 2,000 pound number.

Just be glad you don’t have to figure maximum weight for an airplane since it can be up to at least 13 different numbers depending on a lot of different yet similar factors.

Hey on this test drive were going go 30 miles to swing by a CAT scale.

Oh wait, I can just use the door sticker and understand what the number represents while comparing different vehicles when shopping.
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:55 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy-Beast View Post
Hey on this test drive were going go 30 miles to swing by a CAT scale.

Oh wait, I can just use the door sticker and understand what the number represents while comparing different vehicles when shopping.
Comparisons, yes. That’s about all that door sticker is good for. My 1500 Ram found an extra 1100 pounds when weighed ( full fuel, me sitting in the drivers seat). Same configuration, Ram 2500 CTD last year showed an extra 1200 pounds. Daughters 3500 Ram went from 5600 sticker to 5860 actual. All with full fuel and a driver.

I’ve never heard of anyone going to a CAT scale and getting a reading that matched the sticker.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:31 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy-Beast View Post
No sticker, but you better believe I checked it before putting in a 200 gal saltwater fish tank.
Most people exceed their floor rating and never check it when then buy a house, but a truck, wow it is the dreaded sticker. FWIW standard floor load rating is 40psf which works out to about 300lb point load so two people standing close together could easily exceed the rating. I built all my own houses, three without subs and the last one with 2 subs l, sheet rock (18’ ceilings) and stucco exterior walls 45’ high. Just too old for that.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:05 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Are you saying the driver is not an occupant
Nope. All occupants, including driver, are part of the cargo carrying capacity. Mere stating that Towing capacity allows for a 150# person at the start of my post.

As most understand, cargo capacity rating affects towing ability but is totally separate from tow ratings.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Nope. All occupants, including driver, are part of the cargo carrying capacity. Mere stating that Towing capacity allows for a 150# person at the start of my post.

As most understand, cargo capacity rating affects towing ability but is totally separate from tow ratings.
Actually, tow capacity accounts for two 150 lb people and a 70 lb hitch.
AlaskaErik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #115
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Actually, tow capacity accounts for two 150 lb people and a 70 lb hitch.
Please provide your source of this statement because it goes against what Auto manufacturers have stated for many years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Please provide your source of this statement because it goes against what Auto manufacturers have stated for many years.
https://fifthwheelst.com/documents/t...ds-2016-02.pdf
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:27 PM   #117

Name:	Screenshot_20200312-131301_Drive.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	225027
https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/
The ccc sticker includes the weight of the driver and is not for this purpose considered an occupant.
That being said it is still the drivers responsibility to assure the vehicle remains under the GVWR.
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:58 PM   #118

Specifically
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1106845D-165D-4FEA-B441-10407AFC1BCC.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	225043  
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:34 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat456 View Post
Attachment 225027
https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/
The ccc sticker includes the weight of the driver and is not for this purpose considered an occupant.
That being said it is still the drivers responsibility to assure the vehicle remains under the GVWR.
This is a confusing addition to the discussion. In this case, and this case ONLY, the driver and a person IN EACH SEAT (at 150# each) is NOT part of the Cargo capacity. This case being Cargo weight ratings for a slide in camper. Per Ford Towing Guide.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:24 PM   #120

Yes it is confusing. But I think it shows why people have a different idea as to what the rating actually are and what they mean. I have so far found one ford manual that claims ccc ratings include the driver and yet another that claims it doesn't. If the manufacturer would put shipped actual weight on the sticker with the GVWR that would be the most helpful with purchase decisions.
It almost like the marketing department wants that kept a secret.
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote