Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

Pedal Commander

Does anyone on here use the Pedal Commander? Its supposed to eliminate the lag of the drive by wire.

I see a lot of very positive reviews all over the net, and curious if anyone here used it.

https://www.pedalcommander.com/?v=7516fd43adaa
Old 09-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
Broken Toe

Snake oil for the modern world.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:33 PM   #3

Sounds fishy.... maybe try it and return it 25 days later.

I'm just trying to figure out how they would do it better then OEM
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:13 PM   #4
Lets go camping!

the guys over on cumminsforum that have one, really like them. so it might be worth considering.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #5
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8t six View Post
the guys over on cumminsforum that have one, really like them. so it might be worth considering.

Any "lag" that would be in the system would be programmed into the ECM (computer), and this would not affect that at all. All the pedal does is send a variable 0 to 5 volt DC signal to the computer to indicate how far you depressed the pedal. To be perfectly accurate all have 2 signals and some even have 3 for redundancy, and if they disagree, the computer will fire off a trouble code. The circuits are linear. at 50% depression, you get 50% signal. At 75% depression, you get 75% signal and so on...

What this does is alter the linearity of the signal. Now at say 30% depression, you get 50% signal. Your engine isn't making any more power, but you perceive it as more powerful because you are used to getting 30% at 30% and now you are getting 50% at 30%. It's just a mind trick. Anyone who 'really likes them' have fallen for the trick, however if you feel its worth your money (hint: it isn't) then by all means buy one.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:33 PM   #6

Reviving a long dead thread because I DID buy a Pedal Commander for my 2022 E350 Class C (7.3L). It is an amazing little box.

I have a couple road trips and a couple thousand miles on it at this point. I leave it in "City" mode becuase anything more than that and the throttle is too touchey. Put it in Sport+ level 4 and your pots and pans are sliding around in your cabinets when you gas it and the wife will give you dirty looks becuase it accelerates so much more suddenly. The throttle response in Sport + mode makes the 7.3L throttle response (when revving it) much more crisp and raspy (it sounds nasty.. in a good way). Honestly, it is pretty shocking what a difference this little box makes.

It is especially nice when towing. Our dingy is only 3200 pounds with a full tank of fuel but even still, with the PC in City mode and towing, my RV drives more spirited than when it was totally empty and no PC. There is no change in the way the cruise control works or behaves.

I do not see an impact on MPG in my RV; it seems the same. PC says to expect increases; a buddy of mine with an FJ cruiser and a PC says his MPG went up quite a bit but again, I do not notice a difference (I do log every tank of gas and towing or not). If there is an impact it is moderately better but not enough for me to conclusively say "it did" or "it did not" make a difference.

Bottom line, I am glad I spent the $250 on mine (black Friday deal) and I DO recommend it to others. I plan to get one for my wife's daily driver, too.

"If a reputation is like gold, then having integrity is like owning the mine."
John C. Maxwell
rang-a-stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang View Post
Reviving a long dead thread because I DID buy a Pedal Commander for my 2022 E350 Class C (7.3L). It is an amazing little box.

I have a couple road trips and a couple thousand miles on it at this point. I leave it in "City" mode becuase anything more than that and the throttle is too touchey. Put it in Sport+ level 4 and your pots and pans are sliding around in your cabinets when you gas it and the wife will give you dirty looks becuase it accelerates so much more suddenly. The throttle response in Sport + mode makes the 7.3L throttle response (when revving it) much more crisp and raspy (it sounds nasty.. in a good way). Honestly, it is pretty shocking what a difference this little box makes.

It is especially nice when towing. Our dingy is only 3200 pounds with a full tank of fuel but even still, with the PC in City mode and towing, my RV drives more spirited than when it was totally empty and no PC. There is no change in the way the cruise control works or behaves.

I do not see an impact on MPG in my RV; it seems the same. PC says to expect increases; a buddy of mine with an FJ cruiser and a PC says his MPG went up quite a bit but again, I do not notice a difference (I do log every tank of gas and towing or not). If there is an impact it is moderately better but not enough for me to conclusively say "it did" or "it did not" make a difference.

Bottom line, I am glad I spent the $250 on mine (black Friday deal) and I DO recommend it to others. I plan to get one for my wife's daily driver, too.
I thought Ford already did something like this with their adaptive memory PCM. PCM programmed itself after a while to driver's style, aggressive, timid, or somewhere in between. Used to be a bit of an issue if one disconnected the battery without a 'memory maintainer" connected and the next few trips really felt different as it reverted to factory default.

Learning how to manage the accelerator is a lot cheaper and $250, IMHO, could better be spent elsewhere.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:33 PM   #8

I've had one on my Ram 3/4 ton gasser for 4 years. I'd buy another one in a minute if the old one quit..
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I thought Ford already did something like this with their adaptive memory PCM. PCM programmed itself after a while to driver's style, aggressive, timid, or somewhere in between. Used to be a bit of an issue if one disconnected the battery without a 'memory maintainer" connected and the next few trips really felt different as it reverted to factory default.

Learning how to manage the accelerator is a lot cheaper and $250, IMHO, could better be spent elsewhere.
If Ford implemented this adaptive memory PCM in my rig, it is imperceivable: when the PC is not on, my RV drives just like the day I drove it off the lot (new).

Your point is valid (learning how to manage the accelerator is a lot cheaper and $250, IMHO, could better be spent elsewhere) but to each his own. I will say, this little box causes my RV to perform drastically different, in a good way and that was worth the $250 I paid. Anyone that drives my RV says so, too (wife and son have both noticed). It is difficult to convey the difference unless you acutally drive it. To be honest, I thought PCs were total snake oil before my buddy put one in his FJ Cruiser. I was shocked at the difference it made to his truck so I went and got one for my RV. The difference the PC made to my RV was equally drastic compared to his FJ (except for the MPG I mentioned above). If you have a chance to try one or ride with someone that has one, you will see what I mean. Or don't! HAHAHAHA! To each his own!

"If a reputation is like gold, then having integrity is like owning the mine."
John C. Maxwell
rang-a-stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:23 PM   #10

PedalMonster from Banks http://bankspower.com works like a champ. Gale Banks has been around for a long time and does impressive stuff. Lot's of videos and if you like numbers and data, Gale offers it in abundance.
I have a new rear diff cover, PedalMonster, DataMonster Gauge and newly arrived and yet to install a Monster-Ram intake. Few more items in time. I have been capturing a bunch of data and can hardly wait to compare it after the Monster-Ram intake.
I will say this, that PedalMonster is great paired with my Ram 6.7 Cummins, as responsive as my 2020 Charger ScatPack but not as much fun.

2023 Riverstone 42FKSG
2021 Ram 3500 6.7 HO
TennTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 08:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Any "lag" that would be in the system would be programmed into the ECM (computer), and this would not affect that at all. All the pedal does is send a variable 0 to 5 volt DC signal to the computer to indicate how far you depressed the pedal. To be perfectly accurate all have 2 signals and some even have 3 for redundancy, and if they disagree, the computer will fire off a trouble code. The circuits are linear. at 50% depression, you get 50% signal. At 75% depression, you get 75% signal and so on...

What this does is alter the linearity of the signal. Now at say 30% depression, you get 50% signal. Your engine isn't making any more power, but you perceive it as more powerful because you are used to getting 30% at 30% and now you are getting 50% at 30%. It's just a mind trick. Anyone who 'really likes them' have fallen for the trick, however if you feel its worth your money (hint: it isn't) then by all means buy one.

Tim

Calibration engineer here..... This is 100% accurate
"Sport" or "Eco" (we put "rain" mode on motorcycles) mode is just a pedal map change that converts the throttle % to different engine torque output from the "normal" mode.
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:50 AM   #12

Little doubt how they work, just sad that they are needed in some vehicles. I would prefer not to install something like this and spend my money elsewhere but the stock mapping in my truck is lame. I don't have a need for the higher levels, I just like it more responsive and still smooth, easier to control responsiveness.

2023 Riverstone 42FKSG
2021 Ram 3500 6.7 HO
TennTom is offline   Reply With Quote