Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2015, 06:14 AM   #1

Pin Box Extension

We r purchasing a Crusader 295RST and need a king pin box extension of about 10"-12" for pulling w/ a short bed TYPE setup.

I've got 35" of clearance from the center of my truck hitch to the tear of my welder. This is a welding rig we're setting up.

Has anyone else installed a king pin box extension, and what mfg. did u use?
Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00782.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	461.7 KB
ID:	86400  
DavidAndDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:31 AM   #2

B&W makes an extender for their turnoverball hitch. I have been using one myself. $140 from Amazon. It only provides 4" of extension.

Fifth wheels are designed such that the pin weight is carried by the TV about an inch in front of the rear axle. I suspect that when you move that pin weight behind the rear axle, it would have the calculated effect of lowering your cargo carrying capacity. You might want to consult with the manufacturer of your hitch. Expect them to disapprove your suggestion, but you might pick up something useful in the conversation.

If your fifth wheel trailer is over 7500 lbs and has a pin weight over 1500 lbs, I would be concerned with moving that weight behind the axle. I seriously doubt that you will find a commercially made extension, but I may be mistaken.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:37 AM   #3

Well I've seen other rigs set up this way, just trying to find out different mfg. for the pin box extension.
Measuring to Determine the Correct Replacement Pin Box for a 5th-Wheel Trailer | etrailer.com
Old 08-23-2015, 05:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
B&W makes an extender for their turnoverball hitch. I have been using one myself. $140 from Amazon. It only provides 4" of extension.

Fifth wheels are designed such that the pin weight is carried by the TV about an inch in front of the rear axle. I suspect that when you move that pin weight behind the rear axle, it would have the calculated effect of lowering your cargo carrying capacity. You might want to consult with the manufacturer of your hitch. Expect them to disapprove your suggestion, but you might pick up something useful in the conversation.

If your fifth wheel trailer is over 7500 lbs and has a pin weight over 1500 lbs, I would be concerned with moving that weight behind the axle. I seriously doubt that you will find a commercially made extension, but I may be mistaken.
We got our companion 5th wheel hitch for flatbed put together and installed on the truck. so that's looking good.

we pulled our toy hauler w/ 1000lbs. of tongue weight w/ no problem, I don't see a problem w/ our new 5ver hitch weight of 1300 being an issue.

We've got Airlift air bags which are rated f/ 5000lbs. to level the load.

Went over to a friends yesterday and he has a sb set up and my clearance may not be a issue, be close. I can't really see myself ever needing to turn 90 degrees, never did with the toy hauler we pulled.

I've gotta remove my tool box off the bed, I know it's in the way.

We'll see when we go pick it up
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00825.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	86589  
Old 08-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #5

pulled the Crusader home last night, no problems.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	on way home 8026015.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	87078  
Old 08-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #6

David, it's a nice looking rig. Appears to be sitting very slightly no high, but not much. It looks like you have plenty of clearance.

What kind of welding do you do? Looks like a pipeline rig.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
David, it's a nice looking rig. Appears to be sitting very slightly no high, but not much. It looks like you have plenty of clearance.
What kind of welding do you do? Looks like a pipeline rig.

Thx f/ the compliment on the truck, I have built beds f/ several others and finally built one for myself .

It was difficult to tell at the dealership if she was sitting perfectly level. We were parked on a grade and it was very congested also. And it was getting late in the day, that didn't help any either.

It does appear to be sitting just a bit high, I'll see what kind of adjustment I have and try lowering about an inch.

We have a pull behind 32' toy hauler and man this thing pulls SO much nicer, it's a pleasure to drive.

I'm a certified pipe welder however, I've done everything from welding on/in drilling rigs, ironworker, vessel shops, to well pad hookups. I've never careed for pipeline work.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:35 AM   #8

Just be careful on turns if you cannot do a full 90 degree turn. You will be surprised how often you get in that situation. I have to watch mine even at a 90 degree turn because any more and it will hit my cab. I am a little envious of the welder though. Happy camping.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfort View Post
Just be careful on turns if you cannot do a full 90 degree turn. You will be surprised how often you get in that situation. I have to watch mine even at a 90 degree turn because any more and it will hit my cab. I am a little envious of the welder though. Happy camping.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
We went camping this weekend and went to a parking lot where I could "try" and jack knife or pinch the cab.

I won't say it cant be jack knifed however, I cranked the wheel as hard as I could and stayed into it until the rear axles were squalling and looking out of camber.

I've never driven any where that a turn (forward or backward) that hard was needed.

What I'll have to remember is watch the welder, when my bumper is about to kiss the rear of the trailer...LOL