Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #21

NMWildcat: Do you use spray or paste?

2021 Arctic Wolf
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Gasser
RRSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSCOTT View Post
NMWildcat: Do you use spray or paste?
I put a jack under the sidewinder for support (on the truck tailgate), then remove the four bolts holding the top plate on. Then lower the jack and wiggle the turret out. Remove and clean the flat, ring, and circular turret bearings. Then smear Lucas Red-N-Tacky from the grease gun on everything, raise the jack to install the turret, reassemble, and torque. About a 30 minutes job.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #23

NMWildcat: Thanks for the info. We had a square tube pushed up in the cylinder and used the landing gear to raise and lower. Had to beat it right and left, slowly fell down. But we didn't take it because being so tight. Wanted to be able to get it back together.Want to use it next week for 2 weeks. Go back at after that and get the repair kit. That Lucas Red & Tacky, is that regular grease? Reese said to use White Lithium grease. Now just getting the info and parts to be ready to take it a part and do it right.

2021 Arctic Wolf
Old 07-19-2020, 06:26 PM   #24

Quote:
NMWildcat: Thanks for the info. We had a square tube pushed up in the cylinder and used the landing gear to raise and lower. Had to beat it right and left, slowly fell down. But we didn't take it because being so tight. Wanted to be able to get it back together.Want to use it next week for 2 weeks. Go back at after that and get the repair kit. That Lucas Red & Tacky, is that regular grease? Reese said to use White Lithium grease. Now just getting the info and parts to be ready to take it a part and do it right.
Red-N-Tacky is a lithium grease, just not white. I found it lasts much longer than the standard white lithium, and the Reese tech also recommended it.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Bhrava: Glad you found out the right info on wedge. I ran in that when I was buying my Curt A20. Because I was looking at the Q hitches too. You will like the Sidewinder with A20 hitch. Yes, it sounds like the bottom/base are the same. Just the top piece is different.
I finally got to bring it home last Friday. 5th wheel towing comes back quickly. The one they installed is the 20K# one, 68220. It uses one big nut on the top instead of three or four bolts. It moves freely too, in fact once I parked it I swung the head all around so that the pin is facing the trailer so someone doesn't walk into it. Short people 5' - 5'2" tend to do that.

I am so glad I had the Sidewinder installed instead of doing it myself, would not have been able to back it in my drive without smacking the cab.

On your unit, the rust is probably binding it up pretty good, so you might want to find a cylinder hone to clean it up once you get it apart, try to smooth it up and much as possible. It should move freely.

I got an update from Curt a few days ago. The reason the wedge says Q series is because about mid 2019 they redesigned the Q20 to work with the Sidewinder. So anything in the past 6 - 10 months should be compatible with the sidewinder. Curt should be able to verify based on the serial number.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:52 PM   #26

NMWildcat: Thanks for the info!

Bhrava: Glad to hear you got it home. And as you seen, it makes it easier to back in places. And thanks for the info on the Q hitches.

2021 Arctic Wolf
Old 11-20-2020, 12:29 PM   #27

ok, I got it apart and found that there was no grease at all. There was no rust, just dry. Put the repair kit parts in. And couldn't hardly slide the torrent back on the arm. Took it back a part and cleaned the paint off the cylinder. Tried again and it went part way on and stuck. Could turn it, went all the way on. Could turn barely. Finish putting it together and installed. Can't turn by hand. Before I started to put it back together, I slid the cylinder bearing on the cylinder, it was loose. Put it in the torrent and then it was tight putting the torrent on the cylinder. I have a ball hone. Thought that I would take it a part again. And use the hone on the inside of the bearing to see if it be loosen up and get it to turn. Otherwise I don't know what to do.

2021 Arctic Wolf
Old 11-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #28

Sorry to hear that it still doesn't move by hand. You might call Reese to see what they say.
When I service my Sidewinder the tube type bearing slides on the cylinder easily, and also into the turret guide. I do grease both sides of the bearing, but even dry it slides firmly but easily where it needs to go.
I would probably hone the inside of the turret guide before I honed the bearing itself.
It does seem that something isn't right as both my Sidewinders would move by hand and came apart easily.
Might be interesting to see what Reese says, especially after installing their rebuild kit.
Old 12-26-2020, 06:47 AM   #29

Finally heard back Reese this Wednesday.
They said: Unfortunately it's normal not being able to move it by hand. Our new generation 2 sidewinder can move by hand, but the turning joint is completely redesigned.

Thanks,
Reese Tech Service

So I'm going to take it apart again and hone out the torrent. If that don't help, then I'm going to hone out the bushing. I still have the old bushing, so I will try it on that one. to be safe.

2021 Arctic Wolf
Old 12-26-2020, 07:43 AM   #30

Interesting! Mine haven't moved easily, but as i said before, my 120lb wife can move them by using her whole body. Guess we have been lucky.
Thanks for getting back with the Reese reply!
Let us know if you have any luck......
Old 12-26-2020, 08:49 AM   #31

I will. May awhile with the cold weather.

2021 Arctic Wolf
Old 12-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #32

Must be true because I can easily spin mine 360* with ease. Was installed in July. I don't know about yours, but mine has a HUGE nut on the bottom that is cotter pinned in place.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #33

Yes, you have a ball bearing in there. And mine has a plastic bushings and a flat plate with 4 bolts on top.

2021 Arctic Wolf