Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
HDU
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 56
Pleased with Tow vehicle Brake life

I use my daily driver, a 2015 Ram 1500 ecodiesel, as my tow vehicle for our 26RR. My daily work use is 80% of the trucks miles with very little highway and mostly hills. The other 20% being fun time towing the 26RR with a 900 lb Harley inside and that is mostly highway. Approx weight is 6500 lbs and I have electric brakes on the TT. I also tow other large boats (7000 lb) and utility trailers quite often, some have trailer brakes and some don't. Towing I average 13 mpg and 26 mpg avg not towing.

I just received a call from the shop that is installing new tires onto the truck as I asked them to check the brakes. At 60,000 miles, the brakes still have more than 60% of the original pads that came from the factory. I typically do not get this much life out of my brakes on the tow vehicle, but this is also my first Ram. The others have been Chevy's and Fords.

Everyone's driving styles are different, as is the terrain, loads, speeds, etc.. so it is hard to compare, but I am quite happy with the brake life of this little Ram.
HDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
JJaxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 148
Those are good #s.
__________________
John
2019 Ram 3500 CC 4X4 Cummins 6.7l
2020 Fuzion 369 toy hauler
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:01 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
VernDiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 233
I have a 14 ED & use it commercially to transport new TTs from Mfgs to dealerships. My original brakes went 293,000 miles. Pads still had 35 to 40 percent left when one of the rears crumbled. I attribute it to the turbo brake (from a tune) the trailer brake controller and lots of hwy use. Truck has 340,000 now.
__________________

The answer to what can my 1/2 ton tow; Generically whatever TT has a GVWR less than TVís max tow rating. Specifically is found on CAT scale via weight distribution with TV TT & WDH. Best motor & gearing all 5 Mfgs within specs IE safe & stable normally to 8k but passengers & bedload reduce this. RAM 1500 ED max tow 9,200, max axle ratings 3,900, max 09-18 CVWR 15,950, axle weights me & gear 3,240 steer 2,560 drive
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
m2kamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 333
Nice reports! I know Ram HDs have the largest brakes in the segment (not sure if leap frogged now by new 2017 Super Duty).
__________________
2015 Wildwood 26TBSS Equalizer 4pt 10k
2018 Ram 1500 CC 5.7L 4x4 3.92 LSD
2017 Ram 1500 CC 3.6L 4x2 3.55
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
VernDiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 233
The Ram EDs are light duty trucks and would have smaller brakes than the HDs. They also have a lot less weight to stop.
__________________

The answer to what can my 1/2 ton tow; Generically whatever TT has a GVWR less than TVís max tow rating. Specifically is found on CAT scale via weight distribution with TV TT & WDH. Best motor & gearing all 5 Mfgs within specs IE safe & stable normally to 8k but passengers & bedload reduce this. RAM 1500 ED max tow 9,200, max axle ratings 3,900, max 09-18 CVWR 15,950, axle weights me & gear 3,240 steer 2,560 drive
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 133
I just changed the front brakes on my 2007 Tundra for the first time. Original brakes made it to 85,000 miles and still had 30% left but I went ahead and changed them with the purchase of our new trailer. The rear brakes are still original and had 40% left so I opted to wait another year or so.
kollinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:11 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
muddyrode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SE Iowa
Posts: 618
i have a 98 chevy 1500 4x4 with 215,000 and i have never replaced the rear brakes, i just did the front for the third time last fall and check the rear and they look like there only about half gone
i thinks a persons driving style has a lot to do with it
__________________
2016 SANDPIPER 35ROK
2013 Silverado Duramax 3500HD DRW LB

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tow vehicle

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.