Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 01:12 PM   #1

Pop Up Cushioned Gooseneck Coupler

Is anyone using Pop Up's gooseneck pin box replacement? My XLR is too heavy to consider the Goosebox and I found this gem and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. It is a complete pin box replacement with a cushion similar to that found in the Mor/Ryde pin boxes to dampen the ride. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

https://popuphitch.com/products/rv/r...stable-models/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVGC-CA-sized-for-web.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	111669  
-Hillsboro Flatbed, Dakota Hills Truck Defender Aluminum Front Bumper, S&B Cold Air Intake, AirLift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate, VIAIR Medium Duty Onboard Air System,
mark.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #2

Have you looked at this?

https://www.andersenhitches.com/Prod...l-version.aspx
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #3

I have but if I can accomplish the same thing without a hitch in the truck all the better.
-Hillsboro Flatbed, Dakota Hills Truck Defender Aluminum Front Bumper, S&B Cold Air Intake, AirLift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate, VIAIR Medium Duty Onboard Air System,
Old 06-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.g View Post
I have but if I can accomplish the same thing without a hitch in the truck all the better.
OK, then I guess you saw they have one that will connect to your goose neck hitch and can be used with any 5th wheel and short or long bed truck. So it leaves nothing permanently in the bed of your truck.

I'm not affiliated with these guys in any way just think they have a great product, I'll shut up now
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat56 View Post
OK, then I guess you saw they have one that will connect to your goose neck hitch and can be used with any 5th wheel and short or long bed truck. So it leaves nothing permanently in the bed of your truck.

I'm not affiliated with these guys in any way just think they have a great product, I'll shut up now
No need to shut up. I am very familiar with their product and think it is good. I have their flatbed version but find that on really rough roads I still get pretty bad chucking. With that said, I am looking at getting a different pin box such as the Mor/Ryde pin box but found the Pop Up gooseneck coupler and thought that if I can accomplish the same thing as the Mor/Ryde pin box and eliminate the need to have an in-bed hitch all the better.

There's just not a lot of consumer information on the Pop Up coupler though, thus I wanted to see if anyone here has experience with it. I'd consider the goosebox, but it is not rated high enough for my heavy XLR whereas the Pop Up coupler is rated well above at 24k.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #6

How much does that XLR wiegh?
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
How much does that XLR wiegh?
Mine has a GVWR of 21k.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.g View Post
Is anyone using Pop Up's gooseneck pin box replacement? My XLR is too heavy to consider the Goosebox and I found this gem and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. It is a complete pin box replacement with a cushion similar to that found in the Mor/Ryde pin boxes to dampen the ride. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

https://popuphitch.com/products/rv/r...stable-models/
How does this adapter affect your frame warranty?
Old 06-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
How does this adapter affect your frame warranty?
I haven't asked, mainly because I believe there is a conflict of interest with Lippert being the sole distributor of the Goosebox and therefore is unlikely to endorse anything else---they do not even endorse the Andersen anymore.

If you ask them you won't get a definite answer, just a "[insert non-traditional hitch here] may void your warranty." They say "may" because they cannot void a warranty simply because you choose to use an aftermarket accessory/adapter.

In the event of a warranty, they will have to prove without a doubt that it was the accessory/adapter that caused the damage in order to void any warranty. But they eliminate a lot of battles by through scare tactics so it works for them in the long run...both in sales of the Goosebox, and hesitation to warranty any damage which may have been caused by an adapter.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #10

Never heard of that unit but its weight ratings are stout. My GooseBox is 3600 pin and 16K unit which is already pretty strong.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop up