Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #1

Possible new TT

I'm considering upgrading to a larger travel trailer, a Palomino Solaire 267BHKS. It's 31 ft long, 8 ft wide and weighs in at 5290 lbs dry with a GVWR of 7880 lbs. The only thing that I'm concerned about is the high tongue weight which is listed at 885 lbs dry. (Not exactly sure how they came up with that high a dry tongue weight. If you assume 12% of trailer weight equals tongue weight that would be 634 lbs dry or 945 lbs at max GVWR.)

I have a '12 Nissan Titan CC 4x4 with a GVWR of 7200 lbs, curb weight of 5490 lbs and class IV hitch rated at 10,000 lbs and max tongue weight of 910 lbs. I don't usually haul much in the bed of the Titan other than some firewood, maybe a bag or two of charcoal and some miscellaneous tools (say 400 lbs) and then me the wife and 2 kids, 2 dogs up in the cab (500 lbs max). In the trailer will be the bedding, luggage, some chairs and 2 or 3 coolers full of food, drinks (500-600 lbs). Add another 250 lbs for propane, spare tire, A/C unit, and fuel. I'll be using my Equalizer 1000/10,000 WD-SC hitch too.

I don't plan on ever adding more than 800 lbs of stuff to the trailer so if I assume the generally used 12% for tongue weight that gives me high estimate of 6500 lbs max trailer weight w/780 lb tongue weight.
Do these calculations seem accurate? Anyone think that tongue weight might be too much for this setup and the Titan tow package?
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm surprised how high the dry tongue weight is on that floorplan and you still have to add propane and battery(s). Sometimes the manufacturer would do that if storage areas/layout would reduce the tongue weight when the camper is loaded. I don't see that in this floorplan as most storage is on or in front of the camper's axles. I'm at a loss to see how you'd get the loaded tongue weight down...it's 16.7% based on dry weights.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #3

I would call them and ask. It seems extremely high.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #4

On my TT is 863, ship weight 7,782.
My Tundra pulls and tow the camper fine, your dealer also will help you with the numbers and all you need to tow the camper, that said, you don't need to buy all that they will suggest. Shop around for WDH, sway bar and all that. And belive me, lots of info here, great forum for that! You'll go a little crazy with the "weight police" here, but it's all in good intent.
My dealer did not let me take delivery of my new camper until confirm the tv was good for it.
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #5

I had a 05 Nissan Titan I pulled a toy hauler with weight very similar. But mine was only 26 feet long but my tongue weight was very close to 1000 pounds. Remember a properly adjusted WD hitch will only put 80% of that weight on your truck. So although my tongue was 1000 pounds with my hitch only 800 was on the truck. My Titans gvw was 6522 so I was over every time I towed. My old Titan pulled my camper quite well. Yours should do the same. Good luck.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #6

Yea its weird. They also have a 7' wide model the Solaire 7 25BHSS. It is 29.5 ft long, 7' wide, has a 4777 lb dry weight and lists the dry tongue weight at 545 lbs. Way under the 267BHKS even though its only a 500 lb weight difference and 1/2 ft length difference.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
Always Learning

I think you're in a great position - you have the truck, the stuff and can go get it weighed. From that, you can take the published GVWR and determine what your actual available payload is. Sometimes the number will shock you- for my family of 4 (1 kid's in a booster, 1 kid's in an carseat) and the few add-one we have, we come to 1,200 pounds alone (now that does include our gooseneck hitch and fifth wheel companion and a metal rolltop cover)- but it all adds up. There are CAT Scales all over and places like dumps and quarries that you can get quick weights on.

That said- the higher tongue weight could be simply that the trailer's axles are further back, or it's a front-heavy floorplan. But, I don't think it's ever realistic that the wet weight of the camper is going to be lower than the advertised dry weight. Heck, I just wish the dry weights were more realistic and in this case, it may be. But short of it being a typo - it is what it is and it's the minimum that you should plan for.

I do also think you may be betting a bit low on the trailer weight and how much you'll load in given that the dry weights don't include batteries, propane, any water that you choose to carry or anything else. IMO, it's better to plan conservatively than regret it later.

As for the dealer pointing you in the right direction- one can hope. But, I think a far better plan is to go into the purchase armed with knowledge of your truck, your weights and make a decision from there. Even if it is to knowingly exceed one or more of your truck's ratings.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #8

I have the Solaire 267 BHSK, and bought it Dec 8th and love it. I have an 09 tundra with the 5.7 engine. I do however keep the weight in the truck to a minimum. bikes, chocks and the rear bumper grill. i used to carry a big ice chest with my old camper but now i dont need one. i typically run at 60-63MPH just above 2000 rpms, theres a sweet spot that it just seems to ride better.
howellma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #9

Howellma do you think you'd benefit any with the 7 ft wide version over the 8 ft one given nearly the same length? I'm wondering how much wind resistance it would reduce.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I'm surprised how high the dry tongue weight is on that floorplan and you still have to add propane and battery(s). Sometimes the manufacturer would do that if storage areas/layout would reduce the tongue weight when the camper is loaded. I don't see that in this floorplan as most storage is on or in front of the camper's axles. I'm at a loss to see how you'd get the loaded tongue weight down...it's 16.7% based on dry weights.

Dave
If you have a look at axle placement on this trailer there seems to be about a 70/30 split to the body positioning which makes the tongue so high. Should tow very well with low sway with the axles so far back
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #11

I have an equalizer hitch with the sway device. while my last tt didn't have the sway device i can tell the difference the sway device makes. Big trucks don't move me as much, i also had it cranked down low once and felt it! really only in very windy conditions do i have an issue with any sway. you just have to learn how much to adjust it. Personally we would not have bought a new TT without the slide, The added room makes a world of difference.

Mike
Old 06-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #12

The wheel placement is farther back than on other models in their line. I looked at some photos of similar sized units with lower tongue weights and the 267's axles are at the back of the slide which seems to be the reason for that high tongue. The Titan has spongy shocks which even with my much lower tongue weight Roo makes it sag, but the Equalizer 4pt fixes that.

Some extra room and a full hard side is what we're looking for too. The slide on the 25BHSS and the 267BHKS are really nice. I actually like the 25BHSS for the narrower width for towing, but I'm just not sure if the bunks in 25BHSS will be wide enough (only 28" or 30") vs the 267's which are 48". And because there's only a 500 lb weight, 1 ft length and of course the 1 ft width difference I keep thinking the 267 might just be better. I hate making these kind of decisions from schematics and numbers rather than actual towing experience.

Hey Howellma does your 267 have an enclosed underbelly?
Old 06-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #13

Yes,
My underside is fully enclosed. With that said look at the bunks very closely, all my kids are grown and too me they are a bit claustrophobic. So what i did is take the top bunk out for the time being, held in with screws. and what we are contemplating is adding back a twin bunk so you have more room getting in and out of both bunks. believe it or not, the dinette actually measures the same size as the bunk beds and the couch is sooooo comfortable but a tad short for me but others sleep on it regularly.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #14

My kids are still in early grade school which is the only reason I was even considering the tiny bunks in the 25BHSS. The 267's look much bigger and I'm sure would be more comfortable for older kids or even adults in a pinch.

Do you recall if you paid extra for the enclosed underbelly (was it an option) or was it just a standard on the Solaires. I can't find any literature that even mentions enclosed underbellys, but the dealer I spoke thought it was standard. I think that would help with wind resistance and make towing easier. It's just that darn tongue weight that makes this decision harder to make.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #15

I have the Solaire 269BHSK which also has a heavy dry tongue weight. My TV is a F-150 5.4. I love camper so far and truck tows it great. Fyi, i'm using equalizer hitch.
Marshmstr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #16

Enclosed underbelly is standard. Along with LED lights inside, LED awning lights, ALKO suspension etc...and I don't have eclipse package.
Marshmstr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabmeb View Post
If you have a look at axle placement on this trailer there seems to be about a 70/30 split to the body positioning which makes the tongue so high. Should tow very well with low sway with the axles so far back
The question is why they did that as that high tongue weight, though good for towing, would be knocking on the limit of most 1/2 T trucks' payload and hitch.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #18

as far as i know the enclosed underbelly was standard, all lights but the dinette light are led, and they produce NO heat! thats really good, we like to leave the windows open but here in the south that will end shortly!
Old 06-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #19

That's good to know. And dang Marshmstr your dry tongue weight is listed at 955 lbs. The 269BHSK is really sweet too...great now another thing model to think about. Only 300 lbs heavier and 1.5 ft longer than the 267. That tongue weight scares me though. It's good to know it tows well.