Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I've not noticed any reduction in sway control. Just a lot less noisy.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #22

Sometimes I wonder if I should have tried a lower priced hitch. Letting me try the hitch risk free for 90 days sold me. I'm still under the 90 day return policy. But I'm really happy with the hensley Cub. They sure would sell more if they would lower the price. $1300. is so much higher then the other hitches on the market today. But it sure made a unsafe set to a safe setup at highway speed with wind a 20 miles per hour. But looking back is always 20/20
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

jlgail, I am not familiar with the Hensley Cub. Do you know what the differences are with the regular Hensley or with an Equal-i-zer?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #24

Thanks Scott. I found a set of the jacket brackets on Amazon for $19 with free shipping (prime member) so I have those on order. They'll probably arrive before the hitch :-).

I had never heard of the "cub". I only knew about the 200lb models. I found a little blurb about it here: Hensley Hitch Options | Hensley Mfg.

Seems like they lightened things up considerably and it is intended for trailers under 6000lb. The GVWR of my new trailer is 6061 but I doubt I'll ever hit that so this would probably have worked (but I do like margin), but I didn't even know it was available. I'm still guessing it's over 100lb, but it does look interesting.

jlgail, can ou give us any more info? $1300 is almost reasonable for the amazing geometry that it provides.
cobrageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #25

I'm not sure it's reasonable when you get the same outcome with a 1000.00 less product. All information is on Hensley.com some good information on hensley face book page. The dry weight it not near that 6061 pounds is it. We pack for a week with everything maybe 500 pounds. But I don't tow with a lot of water. It the same hitch just a little smaller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3565.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	28478  
Hensley Cub hitch ,
Old 04-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #26

Thanks for the pic and info. I agree that there is still a large price difference (not as much as the big Hensley), but there is a difference in function. The Equalizer does a good job at adding friction which inhibits sway. The hensley actually moves the pivot point up near the rear axel of the TV which means that sway is really eliminated. I started this thread because I was looking to get one of the hitches like this with the fancy geometry but the only ones I could find added too much hitch weight for me to feel comfortable. Had I known about the cub I would've definitely considered it.

Do you know the weight of the whole cub hitch assembly? (what was the shipping weight)?

I do like to have margin in my towing items and my trailer maxes out at 6061 (doubt I'll load it that much, but maybe) so maybe I would've opted against the cub anyway, but I would've given it some consideration.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #27

I'm not sure of the weight but it has to be over a 100 pounds. The piece in the photo is were all the weight is at and the to bar. But a lot of the weight it transferred to the front wheels. Not sure how all that works.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
Old 04-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I've not noticed any reduction in sway control. Just a lot less noisy.
+1
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #29

Thanks guys. I'm going to start my equalizer experience with the bracket jackets and I think the family will likely be happier. I know I'll prefer it over the messy grease. My family is already annoyed at how greasy the hitch hits stuff is all the time and getting away from the sway bar and snap in spring bars will certainly help.

The hensley cub sure sounds interesting, but it's too late for me. I plunked down $500 for the equalizer and other pieces so that's the route I'm going and I think I'll be happy with it. Maybe on a future setup I'll consider the cub :-).
Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #30

I know a lot of people are happy with the equalizer. I wish we would have gave one a shot. I bought a hitch with the trailer and adjusted and worked with it for a while. I got back from Destin Fl. After 30 hours of driving I bought the Cub. Mine was great if the wind wasn't blowing. But if the wind was 20 plus and big trucks passing. It was safe at all. I shopped and looked for a trailer. But not the hitch so now I have 2 hitch. One not worth shooting and 1 that cost a lot but works well.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #31

jlgail, I completely understand. With my first trailer I just got whatever was cheapest. The trailer was small enough that it seemed OK, but it really wasn't good in the wind.

Scott, brakeman, I just took delivery of the equalizer today and it looks quite nice. However, the "spring bars" look huge (I have the 1000/10000 model). These are just big, solid square bars of steel. I expected soemthing tapered or flat or something closer to my older bars. I just don't see how these things will have any "spring" to them with a 600-700lb hitch weight.

Do you guys notice the hitch being too "solid" and effectively locking your trailer tongue into place on the truck? What happens when you go up or down a steep driveway where the truck goes up with the trailer is still aiming down? I'm just a bit concerned that these are too thick somehow even though their calculator kept saying I needed this model. But maybe those big bars are springier than they look.

Thanks,
Bret