Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2022, 03:17 PM   #1

ProPride 3P hitch worth the cost?

To those that have purchased the ProPride hitch, was it worth the cost of the unit? I have an Andersen currently , yet towing here in Montana it will manage to sway on windy days. Everything I have read and watched on Youtube seems positive, except the price. I am toing a Windjammer 3001W with a F350 powerstroke, the trailer is right around 35 feet which I know is long. Thanks.
dwade68w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 03:34 PM   #2
llr

Sway or movement? If it is sway is there any way to increase the TW?

With my prior TT at 37' with a 2500 and a Blue Ox sway pro I never had sway issues. A few times I had excessive movement and as soon as I stopped at a rest area to check it was obvious, the wind was much higher then I thought. Movement you can't stop.
prior TV 2014 Silverado 2500 HD
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 03:36 PM   #3

I had a Hensley Hitch once . For me, no question, that it was worth the cost.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
Sway or movement? If it is sway is there any way to increase the TW?

With my prior TT at 37' with a 2500 and a Blue Ox sway pro I never had sway issues. A few times I had excessive movement and as soon as I stopped at a rest area to check it was obvious, the wind was much higher then I thought. Movement you can't stop.
Have you used the ProPride 3P?
dwade68w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 12:17 AM   #5
Always Learning

I read a LOT. I've never heard of an actual owner who was unhappy with their performance. I know one guy who had one and didn't like that it could be difficult to hitch up.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:31 AM   #6

I'm in the Detroit Metro area so I'm within an hour for both Hensley and ProPride. I went to both facilities and I was more impressed by the construction of the 3P so that's what I bought.

I purchased it to try to save me from having to buy a heavy duty pickup, but even with the 3P, the trailer was just too big for my Expedition with its squishy rear suspension.

I moved the 3P to the new-to-me F350. That truck was way over capable for a 7,500 lb. 32' trailer so I'm not sure if I saw any benefit.

It was very difficult to hitch up without a backup camera on a crew cab, long bed, 1 ton truck. I later purchased a magnetic camera, but it didn't help much. You have to be dead on to get the stinger (on the truck side) to slip into the hitch on the trailer. Uneven campsites or rutted camp roads made hitching a very stressful event.

Unhitching often took releasing the latches, holding the trailer brakes on lock, and tugging the stinger out with the truck.

Compared to a Reese weight dist hitch, I would say it took 3 to 4 times as long to hitch up.

It did hold its value pretty well. I sold it for about $500 less than I paid so I really just rented it for $100/year for the time I had it.

Unless I was experiencing pretty good sway, I'm pretty sure I would have stuck with my low-end Reese hitch for ease of use.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:44 AM   #7
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwade68w View Post
Have you used the ProPride 3P?
No, with my current F150 I am keeping an eye open for a good used price. My F150 and current trailer do tow well but with occasional minor sway issues.

What I was trying to point out is if it is actually sway with a 1 ton truck there must be something else going on with hitch setup and weight distribution in the TT being the more common issues. I haven't used the Anderson hitch either but other report it doesn't return enough weight to the front axle with heavier trailers, however I doubt that is the issue here. I have never seen a report of it with a heavy truck and trailer.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:04 AM   #8
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwade68w View Post
ProPride 3P hitch worth the cost?
Yes. Yes it is.

Tim

(on edit) I guess I should amplify that point. I tow my 35 foot 10K Rockwood with my Ram 2500, literally with thumb and finger, sipping a cold beverage and just enjoying watching the miles roll by.

Will you forget you are towing the camper? Yes. On flat ground, I have a couple of times. I once almost sideswiped a car (my bad) changing lanes because I passed him and pulled over thinking I just had the truck. On hills, of course, you'll feel the camper back there draining your fuel tank.

Will you still get blown around in stiff winds? Yes. Even a 747 at 380MPH will get blown around by the wind. But it will feel like just the truck is getting moved around as a single unit. Hard to put into words, but you will feel it the first time and go 'oh yeah..' and its not bad or scary on anything.

Will passing truck affect you? Nope. I used to drive with one eye on the mirror so I could brace myself for passing trucks. Now, I honestly don't know they are there till they are up even with my side window. Its incredible.

Does it back up differently? Yes. it backs up more like a 5th wheel. It seems to take more "angle" earlier than with a straight ball hitch. (usually with balls, you put a small angle in, and it get bigger as you back up.) It takes one or two times, and you get right used to it.

Is it hard to hook up? Yes. till it isnt. Once you get used to it, I personally think its easier to hook up. The hardest part is the 'head' swings around, and it seems the slightest touch will make it swing out of of the way if you don't have the head and stinger lined up perfectly. I use two squeeze clamps to hold the head straight while I hook up. Works great, and I hook up at my lake campsite on a gnarly truck-downhill angle.

It is expensive? Yes. But "expensive" relative. Compared to other hitches it stupidly expensive. Compared to laying your truck and trailer on their sides in the median at 60 mile an hour, it's cheap as dirt.

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:31 AM   #9
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Yes. Yes it is.

Tim

(on edit) I guess I should amplify that point. I tow my 35 foot 10K Rockwood with my Ram 2500, literally with thumb and finger, sipping a cold beverage and just enjoying watching the miles roll by.
Just curious, did you ever tow that truck and trailer combo with a different hitch? If so how did it compare?
Old 07-21-2022, 02:51 PM   #10
Broken Toe

Quote:
Just curious, did you ever tow that truck and trailer combo with a different hitch? If so how did it compare?
Not this truck, no. But my old truck, yes. Had a Reese Dual Cam, and then went to the ProPride.

The Dual Cam did great. It towed the Rockwood perfectly fine. All the way up to the point where didn't. Passing trucks were a white-knuckle nightmare. Winds were a nightmare. Passing trucks on a windy day was not a ride to give a pregnant woman. But other than that, it did a good job. Call it 90% of the time it was just fine. But that 10%? oh man... I still shudder at some of those 10% times. Sometimes, I would arrive at campground a twitchy, wrung out mess, needing a few of Anheuser-Busch's finest offering to settle down.

The breaking point was one trip on a windy day. Wind blowing right-to-left, so it was already a little jumpy. I had to turn the wheel a little to the right to keep the rig centered in the lane. Semi truck snuck up on me in the hammer-lane, and when his "bow wave" hit the back of the camper, it pushed it to the right. Due to the pivot action of the ball hitch, the truck started heading for the guardrail. Ok, it's happened before, I can handle. I center the steering wheel, and even have to put in a bit of 'left' to keep off the guardrail.

It wiggled a bit due to the upset, and just when I got it stable, his bow wave passed the trailer axles and started moving the NOSE of the trailer to the right with me leaning the wrong way on the steering wheel. Yikes! That reversed everything and now the truck is headed left (into the truck) FAST! In hind-site, the safest thing probably would have been let my truck hit the semi. Yeah, it woulda tore some stuff up, but it would have avoided what followed.

Out of reflex, I yank the wheel to the right to keep off the semi, and the whole thing takes off like a shot again to the guardrail. I yank to the left again trying to stay off the guardrail, and it's clear I am now "behind" the trailer. If you ever see those videos where a sway builds up bigger and bigger till the rig jack-knifes, that's because the driver was 'behind' the rig and making things worse than better. In the engineering world, we call that "positive feedback in a high-gain environment", which causes oscillation and makes it increase. Think of the screech from a P.A. system, but with a truck and trailer instead of sound waves.

Anyway, I'm once again headed towards the semi, or at least where the semi should have been, as the driver (bless his skill) saw I was heaps of trouble and he tossed out the big anchor for me. But him backing off made his bow wave do the exact same thing to the trailer, except this time in mirror-image and opposite. That put me into a fully developed gollywobble (or tank slapper for my motorcyclist friends). I was convinced that a huge wreck was in our immediate future.

Now, I used to race dirt-track. I have learned over the years that sometimes the best thing you can do in a big slide is nothing. Just hold the steering and throttle where they are and let the car come back to you. That instinct kicked in and I stopped sawing at the wheel and just made very minor corrections. Mere flicks. I also eased off the throttle, but I stayed away from the brakes not knowing if that would make things better or worse. I could have hit my trailer brakes, but that would have meant taking one hand off the wheel, and I kinda needed them both right then.

After 3 or 4 more big oscillations, including using up BOTH lanes of I55, some of both shoulders and I think even a little bit of the median grass, the sway died down and I got it all back under control. They say you don't start shaking till you are safe, and I believe them. I was actually shaking. I had slowed to about 35, and realized that I should pick my speed back up. The trucker, after a long pause behind me, came back up and completed his pass on me. He gave me a "you OK?" gesture and I replied with a thumbs-up, even though I most definitely was NOT ok.

I vowed at that moment that I was done. I'm selling everything and getting out of camping if this is how its gonna be. At the campground that night, out of pure curiosity, I started looking for a better sway-control hitch and saw the Hensley video. One thing led to another and now I am a die-hard ProPride supporter.

Yeah, the thing is $3000. But I'm telling you what... Had I not remembered my dirt-track skills and wrecked the thing, that 3 grand would have looked like a very small price to pay to avoid it.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 07-21-2022, 03:29 PM   #11
llr

Thanks for the feedback. Was the prior truck a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton or something else?

I had similar experiences a few times with my F150 and Flagstaff trailer, however not quite as extreme as the truck sway control kicked in each time as I was reaching for the trailer brakes. It was bad enough that I think I would have sideswiped someone if anyone was next to me and not sure I could have recovered a quick as the truck did.

I debated about the propride at the time but thought it was more of a band aid as it was too much trailer for the truck so I downsized the TT a little. The trailer was always great when I had the 2500, just hated the truck.
Old 07-21-2022, 03:46 PM   #12
Broken Toe

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Was the prior truck a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton or something else?

I had similar experiences a few times with my F150 and Flagstaff trailer, however not quite as extreme as the truck sway control kicked in each time as I was reaching for the trailer brakes. It was bad enough that I think I would have sideswiped someone if anyone was next to me and not sure I could have recovered a quick as the truck did.

I debated about the propride at the time but thought it was more of a band aid as it was too much trailer for the truck so I downsized the TT a little. The trailer was always great when I had the 2500, just hated the truck.
it was a 3/4 Excursion. Not exactly the same as a F250. Softer ride, softer springs, especially in the rear. I beefed it up with an add-a-leaf and Helwig 'Big Wig" swaybar.

I have had conversations with people (I call them hitch purists) who deride me for buying the "band-aid" hitch and they spent long hours telling me that if I would have just done this, or done that, I wouldn't have needed the ProPride.

My response is always "maybe". But no matter the loading of the trailer it always pulls like a champ. With enough fiddling and tuning and trips to the Cat scales, I might have found that razor-thin sweet spot where the Reese worked great in 98% of the situations instead of 90%. But I literally just slapped on the ProPride, eyeballed everything as far as setup, took a wild-ass guess on how far to raise the jacks, and this thing has beaten the Reese every single time I tow.

So if that the effect of a "band-aid" then, sign me up! Give me two!

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 07-21-2022, 03:51 PM   #13
Broken Toe

Hell, I might buy another, because my little old cargo trailer sways and shakes like a freezing wet puppy, especially when empty. I love when the "you need a bigger truck to eliminate sway" guys get started, because my Ram 2500 and cargo trailer is living proof of "no... bigger trucks do not stop sway".

That's right. My 35' 10,000# camper pulls with less drama than my 16' 2100# cargo trailer.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 07-21-2022, 08:20 PM   #14

I believe it is worth the cost. Also know you can often find them used when people move up to motorized units or 5th wheels. I got mine used about 9 years ago for $1,500. Most I've seen recently are closer to 2 to 2500. Key is finding one in your locale, as they are rather impractical to ship.

As to hooking up, a backup camera makes it a complete non-event. If doing it solo without a camera or with a. . .directionally challenged assistant. . .it can be difficult.

Pete
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:26 PM   #15

I recently posted this in another thread on this forum. it has a link to a guy who tested 6 different hitches on a single trailer/truck combination. Even with the price, he decided the PP was the best hitch.

As noted, a backup cam on your truck makes hitching up significantly easier. Also, let the hitch teach you how to hook up, it is different but once learned a lot easier. I have one and am very happy with it. It took a bit to learn how to use it, not I think I usually hitch and unhitch faster than other folks. No bars to store. No worries about not properly unloading the bars and possibly getting injured when unhitching.
BTW, PP recently upgraded their WD jacks. Everything I've read indicates the the upgrade is a real benefit.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2764059
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:58 AM   #16

Pulling a Rockwood 8319ss with F150. Started out with a Reese dual cam. I-77 in Virginia winds and 18 wheelers mountains and downhill curves exceeded the dual cams abilities. That sent me on a search and I came across the ProPride P3. Found a used one 10 years ago and have never had the issues that I had with the Reese. The proof, my wife says it was money well spent. Now that is approval. Totally changes the towing experience and you get to your destination without a heart attack!
larryscsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, propride