Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2020, 07:58 AM   #1

Puck adjustment on B&W hitch

I purchased a new 2020 Silverado 3500 that came with the puck system. Since I already had a B&W hitch I just brought the base from Tweety’s for $460.00 delivered. I didn’t read the instructions to good but after hearing the camper bumping on the way to Myrtle Beach. I then reread the instructions, I found out you had to snug up the nuts on the base. The instructions said not to over tighten the nuts. Then install a cotter key. That work well on the back nuts but on the front nuts when the nuts were snug you couldn’t get the cotter key in the hole. I tightened the nuts until I could get the cotter key in place. The question is how snug is to snug? Can you over tighten the nuts? The hitch is not coming out, I don’t need the space in the truck bed
travlinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #2

I called B&W as I should have done in the first place. They told me to tighten the nut but if I took the hitch off to loosen the nut up before I tried to move the handle.
travlinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Your information from B & W is correct.

Any time you remove the base (puck attaching points) or move from vehicle to vehicle, you should check the adjustment.

If you read the directions, they say to tighten the nuts just enough that you can still turn the puck attachment handles/levers to fully open/close them. If the nuts are too tight, you won't be able to close the handle/lever and if they are too loose you will get some movement/noise from the puck attachment point.

If you tightened the nut with the handles closed and then tightened them even more to get the cotter key in, you will never be able to turn the handles/levers. You will need to loosen the nuts if you ever remove the base. (I realize you say you were not going to)

I don't know how 'snug' you made them but too snug can in fact, be too snug and put undue stress on the puck attachment T-bolt.

When adjusting mine, I had to back one of the nuts up back towards the slightly loose side to get the cotter pin in. Tightening it to the next hole was... you guessed it... too snug! The other three were perfect.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch