Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 06:38 PM   #61

While I worked at UPS, Syracuse NY in Feeder (tractor trailer) Dispatch, we had a number of drivers that drove from Syracuse to Toledo, Oh. and back. They had a special license permit (stamp) which allowed them to carry triple trailers from the first exit on I-90 in Ohio through all westward roads that allowed them. A couple of those guys retired, but they still want to pay the extra $$$ to keep the stamp on their CDL license. I know that one of those drivers moved back out to the mid-west and does a triple hookup with his travel trailer, boat and “toys” trailer.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
Towing a travel trailer with another trailer is legal in several states with limitations on length. Here in Idaho where I live, triples are quite common. I believe it is legal in Oregon, Idaho and Nevada, so we see lots of it here. That being said, my personal opinion (and that's all it is, my opinion) is it is unsafe and pretty impractical. Impossible to back up, usually can't see the last trailer so have no idea what's happening. Had a vehicle towing here several years ago that couldn't see that he'd lost a wheel on the last trailer and was starting forest fires for miles and miles and miles. He was ultimately held liable for the costs.
You can back up, but it’s not easy. A rear observation camera solves the not being able to see issue.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:10 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
You can back up, but it’s not easy. A rear observation camera solves the not being able to see issue.
Like this?

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #64
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

Since its mounted so high up, the normal furrion camera at the back of our TT allows us to see the box trailer we tow and traffic behind it pretty well.

We have hundreds of miles towing our tool trailer behind our travel trailer all through the South. Never pulled over once. No problems driving.

When we need to back up we take off the tool trailer as it is light enough we can push it around by hand. Its not that hard to plan ahead as to not need to get into reverse until we reach our destination.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:41 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Remodeler View Post
Its not that hard to plan ahead as to not need to get into reverse until we reach our destination.
I would agree. in the 10+ years that we towed our boat behind our 5th wheel we never got into a situation where we had to back up any distance. It's a matter of looking ahead to not get into any situations that give you no way out.

Our boat weighed in at just shy of 2 ton and we never had any problems with stability or ill handling while doing the double. Luckily we could see the boat trailer tires from the TV mirrors by merely weaving slightly left to right. This could be done easily without getting out of our own lane of traffic. Only once did we have tire trouble on the boat trailer and I was able to catch it well before the tire blew.

When done with safety in mind and adequate equipment doing the double can be safe, easy and convenient.
Rockwood Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:50 AM   #66

Triple Tow

You would have to check the state and/or provincial laws as they will differ. I know that here in Ontario Canada you are able to triple tow as long as its with a pick up truck with commercial plates (Most do have) , the length does not exceed 75' and there is no excessive sway. That being said the the 300lb rating on the rear hitch is for weight supported. They would have to have quite a bit of wiggle room there for up and down vibrations also. If your towing that would be your judgement as they do not recommend. I personally tow a 14' aluminum fishing boat with a 20HP motor behind mine and feel this does not even come close to the strain a 300lb load vertically would exert. Remember to also run wiring for the extra brake,signal and running lights required. I have been doing this for 12years without any issues.
bossalou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer