Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #41
Columbus 302 rs

Some highways in Europe trucks are only allowed to use the right lane, period and some don't allow trucks on weekends unless time-sensitive like fresh or frozen food, etc. Interesting how some places deal with commercial trucking and limited highway tarmac.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #42
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post

turbs that's a nice looking truck. Did I see it on 40 in NC sometime in the last few months? If not i remember seeing one similar to it.
Not likely.
This one makes a living pullin grain local.
Wait till ya see the new one!
I'll get pics tomorrow when we parade them in the local fair parade.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #43
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
nice truck turbs. never drove a peterbuilt, but had some generous bosses who dressed their trucks up very nicely. gotta love a small o/o outfit.
Thanks! We keep um clean n lean.
Yes small o/o.
They run good.
An the look good!
They sound awesome! 8" pipes!

Ya won't get stuck behind these trucks guaranteed!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #44

Wife and I pulled into our first truck stop Monday and had to park among the trucks (no seperate RV parking). She was nervous that one of them would run over our little trailer. I mentioned which would she rather trust, a parking lot of profesionals or a campground full of drivers of unknown capability and training.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #45
Steve Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
Wife and I pulled into our first truck stop Monday and had to park among the trucks (no seperate RV parking). She was nervous that one of them would run over our little trailer. I mentioned which would she rather trust, a parking lot of profesionals or a campground full of drivers of unknown capability and training.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1500688453.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	35466

Been there done that
Old 07-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #46
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Glad someone brought up this subject. We just returned from a 3200 mile round trip vacation to South Dakota, via Branson. I run between 60 and 65 usually on cruise at 62. I was totally amazed at how many RV'ers blew past us. This was campers, 5vers, class c and class a. Some had to be doing 75 or 80, no joking. Truckers for the most part were not a problem, and there were lots of them. They were courteous and passed and followed with plenty of room to spare. They were far more safe than the majority of RV'ers that we encountered on the roads.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #47
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
Right on!!!

Old 07-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #48
phat phrog stunt crew

back in my driving days, I actually had somebody in an rv knock on my door in the wee hours at a rest area asking if I would turn my refrigeration unit off so he and his wife could get some sleep. I told him it would get quiet in about 2 more hours when I woke up and got moving again, but if it was that important, he could write me a fat check to cover the cost of the meat, my transportation home and to tide me over until I found a new job.

they were gone when I woke up a couple hrs later
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #49
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
back in my driving days, I actually had somebody in an rv knock on my door in the wee hours at a rest area asking if I would turn my refrigeration unit off so he and his wife could get some sleep. I told him it would get quiet in about 2 more hours when I woke up and got moving again, but if it was that important, he could write me a fat check to cover the cost of the meat, my transportation home and to tide me over until I found a new job.

Hate complainers............
Old 07-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #50

Quote:

Sometimes you have to wonder how some people manage to feed and dress themselves. To be so completely clueless is beyond comprehension, but I have seen evidence of it every day.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #51
Steve & Phyllis

Quote:

So why didn't they just park away from the truck? Kind of like the families down the road who built big homes next door to a dairy farm so they could live "in the country". The next year they sued the farmer over the smell and noise. Man I got nothing but good stuff to say about truck drivers. You have got to be the most patient people in the world or we would read daily about a car getting run over.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #52

Well, just like any profession, there are good and bad. I was nearly hit yesterday just east of home by a trucker that was in a huge hurry. He almost ran me off the highway and my truck actually got a bit sideways on the wet pavement. I am not sure still how I saved the rig... or how he missed me... and the other 18-wheeler in front of him. So praise them all you want, and some deserve it, but NOT all... Unfortunately, I see more and more that don't.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #53

I worked a warehouse and have seen my share of good and bad drivers. We had a driver that took over and hour to try and back his rig up to the shipping doors. After the yards was so backed up did he allow another driver to back his rig up to the door. It only took the second driver less then two minutes.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
I have found it easier to follow a 18 wheeler that is going about my speed. Sometimes they just follow me. Everyone else goes around both of us. Once in a while a 4 wheeler squeezes in between & brakes to make a exit, never had a 18 wheeler do that trick though.
We follow big rigs too, except in the mountains, and still make good time. DW is anxious around semis but I keep reassuring her that drivers' predictability is the key to safety. Rarely do I see a big rig do something unexpected.

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #55

I always slow and let them in or just stay out of their way and in rest areas I never park in the middle so they can quickly take care of business. They are paying into social security, and that's what keeps me on the road.
Mission, TX
2013-100..2014-180..2015-175..0
genecusano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #56
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecusano View Post
I always slow and let them in or just stay out of their way and in rest areas I never park in the middle so they can quickly take care of business. They are paying into social security, and that's what keeps me on the road.
And their employers ( or if they're owners/operators, themselves) are paying big bucks into the highway use fund into each state they roll thru.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #57

I can't stand an inconsistent driver. Many people know that it's the driver of the merging vehicle who is responsible for blending their speed with traffic. However, the courteous driver will recognize when they have a free lane to their left, and take it in order to facilitate the merging driver. Wherever you are on this point, just be consistent.

I can't stand seeing a trucker who will not budge when a passenger car is trying to merge. He/she has the right to stay put, for sure. But at the next entrace ramp, when it's another semi wanting to merge, that same driver will cut me off in the left lane to give the merging semi more room.

I could say the same thing for weekend RVers, passenger car drivers, motorcycles, etc. Some are courteous, some are jerks, some are oblivious. No category of driver has a corner on either attitude.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #58

Like most here I've seen good and bad on the road. I just try to do the right thing and not be one of the bad drivers.

With RVs or big rigs I alway give them a quick flash of the headlights when they are clear to move into the lane in front of me. I can see when a driver needs to get in front of me and will open the distance to let them in. Some give me a quick flash of brake lights to say thanks.

Now for my pet peeves, I hate when the doorslammers cut into my braking distance. This is not just towing, but in everyday driving also. Texting while driving would have to be the next on the list of pet peeves, especially at highway speeds. Last are the construction jumpers. Single lane ahead and they try to pass everyone they can in the lane that is closing and then cut in. I've seen big rigs put a stop to this crap by lining up side to side and I always give them a thumbs up for doing so.

JR

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote