Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #41

Short bed truck

I have used nothing but short bed trucks to haul all the 5 vrs I have ever owned and was a great decision. One a heck of a lot easier to park you gain some extra haul weight and if you put in a superglide hitch you never have to worry about getting out to activate the slider it is automatic. Only down side of the short bed was lower fuel capacity as well as smaller DEF tank capacity ( I had diesels). Other than it was a great experience and I never regretted a short bed. Best of luck to you and enjoy your time out.
hughd033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAndDonna View Post
Looking for pro's and con's from folks who use and pull their 5th wheels with short bed trucks.
we're looking at trading trucks and pulling our 5th wheel with a short bed (6'-4") with a diesel.
1) how does the short bed handle with a 5th wheel?
2) do you use a slider 5th wheel hitch?
3) how often do use actually use the slider?

anything else you care to add?
Thanks,
David
OK your question has a key point, even though it is a short bed it is 6'4", for clarity some of the newer trucks with the crew cabs (full size 4 doors) have a bed that is only 5'5", the 5'5" beds must use a slider, I had a Chevy 2500 with the 6'6" bed that had plenty of bed room for my 5th wheel for me to negotiate tight radius turns. Confirming that your 5th wheel has tight radios abilities will also help your cause, most newer one will. I currently have a 3500 with an 8'bed and in regards to towing I feel no difference, I do occasionally feel the length when trying to back into tighter campsites, the extra length on the wheel base truly effects your turning radius.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:27 PM   #43

We have an 08 GMC Sierra 2500 6.5 bed i think with a tape it is 6.7. I have the blue ox diamond gooseneck hitch and the reese goosbox. Our camper is a 2011 silverback with pretty aggressive notches in the cap. I can get in some pretty tight spots. Last spot we were in was fort wilderness full hookup and we got complemented on parking. We were there for 10 days and realized why. Lots of struggling from bumper pull and fivers. Now if you do premium its like tossing a hot dog down a hallway.[emoji87]
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:54 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAndDonna View Post
Looking for pro's and con's from folks who use and pull their 5th wheels with short bed trucks.
we're looking at trading trucks and pulling our 5th wheel with a short bed (6'-4") with a diesel.
1) how does the short bed handle with a 5th wheel?
2) do you use a slider 5th wheel hitch?
3) how often do use actually use the slider?

anything else you care to add?
Thanks,
David
Pulled a Cedar Creek 34 with a SuperDuty short bed. Had a slider and never used it. Never hit the cab turning. Just was careful turning and made sure I could get in and out without jack knifing.
hotrod4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:09 AM   #45

Smile Reese fifth wheel to goosebox

I use a Reese 20k 5th wheel to goose box air ride hitch, gives me more room, longer than the 5th wheel pin box that was there, can't get to 90 degree but works great for most parks, plus the air ride is a bonus no chucking, smooth ride.
ghardy7605 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed