Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #1

Pullrite Superglide 2900

Picked up our new Sierra 380BH5. I had the dealer (camping world) install the Pullrite Superglide 2900. So we are driving down the road and the hitch is bouncing back and forth. Literally feels like a car accident every time I stop and start up (I think we have whiplash). We pull over and call the dealer and are assured that everything's fine and that I just have to learn how to feather the break and gas. We continue down the road and I'm dreading every stop and start. The missus is really upset. So after about 30 miles to get to the campground, we pull into our site and try to unhook and it's literally impossible. The king pin receptacle "V" is at a 90 degree angle no matter what we do. So my wife goes online and I start reading the manual. I read this interesting bit about a capture plate....and it being required for proper function.

The dealer never installed a capture plate.

So at this point I have a truck hooked up which I can't unhook. After some scary maneuvers with the missus backing up while I'm holding the lever with both hands pulling with all 250+ pounds and I we finally get it unhooked.

My dilemma. The dealer is ordering a capture plate but I'm terrified of driving back to camping world. Hooking up is easing unhooking not so much as already described. Some say that if you get the right capture plate it's a do it yourself project with no drilling.

Thoughts? 1) Install it myself. 2) take it back to the dealer causing permanent kidney damage from the constant chopping. 3) hire someone to come out and install it. 4) give up camping and sell the fifth wheel - just kidding, other options?

This crowd is real practical so advice is always appreciated!
Chfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:51 PM   #2

capture plate

I installed my capture plate. Very easy.
Braves Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:02 AM   #3

its a pretty easy install, but is the dealer capable of getting the right one?? has the hitch been damaged? id prolly go third party just to save myself anymore BS. the moron you spoke with should be made to pull without a capture plate. he very well could have sent you to your death. there is no slop in a pullrite system. whistles and bells should have been going off in his head or if he was clueless, he should have handed the phone to someone who had a clue. no apologies here, that was a MAJOR mistake!!
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:11 AM   #4

Yes the capture plate is not optional with pull rites slider hitches. They must be installed in the pin box before hitching. Very simple to do. They even have a universal one that can fit just about any pin box. I have the same 2900 hitch myself. Goodluck
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:17 AM   #5
bigdaddy1

Just had a super-glide install in my truck for my Cardinal and it worked perfectly on the ride home from the dealer with the camper in tow of course. It had the capture plate install properly it made the ride so smooth for me and my wife that I was totally surprised. My dealer pulled my truck from the show bay yesterday and started to put the truck and trailer in turns and sharp turning degrees to demonstrate the ability of the hitch. I can tell you I do not plan to back at 90 degrees but I saw it done Saturday! My advice to you is get Pull-rite involved and a dealer that KNOWS what they are doing!

2019 3350RLX
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:25 AM   #6

I would, 1. demand that they come to you and install the plate or, 2. demand they come pull it to the nearest dealer. Remind them that this is a safety issue and they will be held responsible for "their" negligence.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
I would, 1. demand that they come to you and install the plate or, 2. demand they come pull it to the nearest dealer. Remind them that this is a safety issue and they will be held responsible for "their" negligence.

I would agree and force them to come to you and install the plate. In no way would I move that rig again or even let them move it with my truck without that capture plate. Your just asking for a trouble. If you don't get anywhere with the salesman go right to the top dawg of the place. If you still don't get anywhere tell them you want it for free and you come back (without camper) and get it and install it yourself if you feel comfortable doing it. There less than 200 bucks it's the least they could do for your terrifying experience!
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pullrite, superglide