Old 06-25-2019, 02:29 PM   #1

Push parking with front hitch

I'm looking at a bigger trailer...perhaps a ROO.
A friend suggested installing a front receiver hitch on my RAM 1500 to push the trailer up our steep driveway and into its parking spot.

Please share your experiences with maneuvering a trailer using a front hitch. Obviously, I can't afford to buy a $20,000+ trailer only to discover that "the best laid plans" are a failure.

Needs and expectations:
a) I must be able to back the rig into the spot in the photo backing the trailer up the driveway in the 2nd photo.
b) I would install a backup camera on the trailer.
c) The trailer would be well within the GVWR for the TV's tow rating (7700#).
d) The uphill section of driveway is about 150 feet long and about a 10% grade.
e) I'm not averse to unhitching at the top of the driveway then re-hitching to get another bite at positioning the trailer. And I can push the trailer axles all the way to the edge of the pavement on the back side of the trailer.
f) Currently using a Trailer Valet to spin the PUP 180 degrees and then push it into its parking spot.
g) The TV is "auto all-wheel drive" plus both 4wd and 4wd-low-range. Power and traction won't be issues.

I am a bit concerned about tongue weight on the front. Assume 600# based on the specs on rigs I'm considering. I'm also concerned because the driveway is narrow...10', not 12'. Then there's the tree on one side and the rock wall on the other.

Any advice or experiences with a front hitch to "push" a 6000# trailer uphill into a parking spot will be deeply appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Parking.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	463.6 KB
ID:	208230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Driveway.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	474.2 KB
ID:	208231  
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:40 PM   #2

I have a utility trailer that I use for picking up/collecting yard waste, leaves, sticks, etc. and I often use my F-I-L's tractor to unload the trailer in the woods at his farm. I have found that hooking the trailer on the front of his tractor and pushing it makes it a lot more maneuverable and easier to get it right where I want it.

I also think that for the little bit of time you would have it hooked up to the front of your truck, tongue weight would not be an issue.

In my opinion, you would be OK.
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, parking

« GCWR | Tow vehicle »