Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #21

This is one of those times when a decision can affect you for years. So wait a bit and find the truck you really need/want, even if it means you might have to spend more.
The financial decisions my wife and I made that saw us settling for an item that almost fit our needs just due to the price have usually been regretted later on. If we had just spent a little more time and money we would have been much happier in the long run.
If you have to spend additional money to modify a new to you truck to get it to work, look for another.
That being said, the RV you described is in the perfect weight range for a 3/4 ton HD. Of course a diesel would be the optimum tow vehicle, but it is not always in the budget. Good luck and do what makes you happy!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:42 AM   #22
Camping the Natural State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffen06 View Post
Its a F350 not a 250. Also if gears are the problem I can swap in the 4.30s as Ive done gear swaps before. Cant find any out there with those gears
F350 vs F250 just means the truck itself is heavier. I understand it is more GVWR but don’t see how that helps.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Thank you, does anyone know if it is just a simple gear swap to the 4.30 is the only difference in the rating?
It is 4x4. Call it a simple gear swap if ya want. I wouldn’t say simple.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:00 AM   #24

It just registered that you already put a deposit down. It does sound like a good deal. And yes, you can pull the fifth wheel described. Would a different drive train pull it easier? Probably, but at what cost?
So get it set up with Sidewinder hitch, try it out a few times before making any changes, and I'm bettin you will be just fine!
Old 02-10-2021, 11:23 AM   #25

Yeah, I'm sorry to say I agree with the others. The truck is simply gonna be at the upper limits with a rig that large and heavy and I wouldn't tow that 5'er with it.

Just curious, is there a reason you aren't considering a diesel one ton that is a couple years older? No need to purchase and refit the truck with a gear swap, much better gas mileage and less wear and tear on the engine and transmission. Seems to me it'd be a better and more economical fit.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
This is one of those times when a decision can affect you for years. So wait a bit and find the truck you really need/want, even if it means you might have to spend more.
The financial decisions my wife and I made that saw us settling for an item that almost fit our needs just due to the price have usually been regretted later on. If we had just spent a little more time and money we would have been much happier in the long run.
If you have to spend additional money to modify a new to you truck to get it to work, look for another.
That being said, the RV you described is in the perfect weight range for a 3/4 ton HD. Of course a diesel would be the optimum tow vehicle, but it is not always in the budget. Good luck and do what makes you happy!
A 3/4 with a diesel would not have enough payload. Most F250s with the diesel the payload is around 2000, not enough
Waffen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Yeah, I'm sorry to say I agree with the others. The truck is simply gonna be at the upper limits with a rig that large and heavy and I wouldn't tow that 5'er with it.

Just curious, is there a reason you aren't considering a diesel one ton that is a couple years older? No need to purchase and refit the truck with a gear swap, much better gas mileage and less wear and tear on the engine and transmission. Seems to me it'd be a better and more economical fit.
I have been looking at them, unfortunately Id be looking at a 2012-2014 range with 125000+ more miles. Issues is banks dont finance the older trucks as well to get my payment where I want it. The terms shorter and rates higher
Old 02-10-2021, 11:30 AM   #28

We can guess you will be fine around home. Just don't take your outfit on the backroads of the Rockies anytime soon.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:37 AM   #29

Quote:
A 3/4 with a diesel would not have enough payload. Most F250s with the diesel the payload is around 2000, not enough
That is your opinion. The sweet spot for 3/4 tons is 10k to 12k. If you are under all the other weight suggestions, payload is one I usually ignore. You realize it's a number that is derived from compromise between engineers, marketing, and lawyers right?
But the OP is looking at a one ton, so no worries anyway.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
We can guess you will be fine around home. Just don't take your outfit on the backroads of the Rockies anytime soon.
Really? A one ton is questionable for this RV? BS.
And the drivetrain might not be the strongest, but it will get it done.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:51 AM   #31

Quote:
That is your opinion. The sweet spot for 3/4 tons is 10k to 12k. If you are under all the other weight suggestions, payload is one I usually ignore. You realize it's a number that is derived from compromise between engineers, marketing, and lawyers right?
As an engineer...this is the most scary and unsafe comment I have read in a while.
Yes there is factors of safety that go into a design but we don't know what the engineers accounted for.
Payload is a serious calculation that takes into account axle strength, spring and damper strength and robustness, tire ratings and fatigue life of all associated components.
Comments like this is why we see trucks overloaded and sitting on the bump stops doing 70+ down the highway with the follow up being just add some air bags to bring it level.
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:53 AM   #32

Quote:
its not the one ton truck.....its the gas engine that is the context here. Mostly ok for flat Ohio but will struggle up and down the Rocky's out west.
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr524 View Post
its not the one ton truck.....its the gas engine that is the context here. Mostly ok for flat Ohio but will struggle up and down the Rocky's out west.
Being from 'out west', these comments always make me chuckle.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:55 AM   #34

Quote:
I have been looking at them, unfortunately Id be looking at a 2012-2014 range with 125000+ more miles. Issues is banks dont finance the older trucks as well to get my payment where I want it. The terms shorter and rates higher

I know it wasn't easy in 2019 to find the truck I now have and it was, at times, very frustrating. From what I've been reading, its now even more difficult as more and more folks are buying up RV's and now tow vehicles.

However, just as it is with the RV market today, many folks are having to travel a few hours away from home to get what they want at a good deal.

Depending on how far away you are in Ohio, I just found the listing below that doesn't have +125,000 miles on a 2016 that has an almost 16K towing capacity. I understand the issue with bank financing too, but interest rates are at an all time low, so you still should be able to get something like this in the 5.5 to 6.5% range with the many banks the dealerships work with these days.

Just trying to be of some help to ya!

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #35

Quote:
As an engineer...this is the most scary and unsafe comment I have read in a while.
Yes there is factors of safety that go into a design but we don't know what the engineers accounted for.
Payload is a serious calculation that takes into account axle strength, spring and damper strength and robustness, tire ratings and fatigue life of all associated components.
Comments like this is why we see trucks overloaded and sitting on the bump stops doing 70+ down the highway with the follow up being just add some air bags to bring it level.
Come to the farm, I'll show you how those numbers work in real life.....
Old 02-10-2021, 12:09 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
I know it wasn't easy in 2019 to find the truck I now have and it was, at times, very frustrating. From what I've been reading, its now even more difficult as more and more folks are buying up RV's and now tow vehicles.

However, just as it is with the RV market today, many folks are having to travel a few hours away from home to get what they want at a good deal.

Depending on how far away you are in Ohio, I just found the listing below that doesn't have +125,000 miles on a 2016 that has an almost 16K towing capacity. I understand the issue with bank financing too, but interest rates are at an all time low, so you still should be able to get something like this in the 5.5 to 6.5% range with the many banks the dealerships work with these days.

Just trying to be of some help to ya!

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Thank you, Ive been looking up to 6 hours away from me, that ones about 8 or so. I guess there are always other stipulations out there. Like I have a trade in and such that I have to get the right price for. Its been rough trust me. The price on a diesel is one factor, other is maintenance, extra price on fuel, replacement part prices (turbo, fuel pump, dpf) all a lot more. Trust me Id love a diesel but so many other factors going into such as Im driving this truck daily 30 miles and its going to be parked outside (no garage). For the dozen or so times Ill be towing a year on the weekends all the added costs dont justify it at this point. Maybe in a couple years Id love to upgrade.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #37

Quote:
It’s not the size of the truck in question here but the drivetrain.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:13 PM   #38

Quote:
PenFed will finance older vehicles based on NADA
IvoryHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Come to the farm, I'll show you how those numbers work in real life.....
As a relatively new camper/tower this exchange bothers me quite a bit. I have always read that payload considerations are critical when choosing/loading a tow vehicle.

WTH is going on here?????
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #40

Payload is alot more critical with a half-ton TV.

Tags
questions, truck