Old 08-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #1

Question about Ford Integrated Brake Control

I have a 2013 Ford F150 Supercrew with the factory integrated brake control. We bought our trailer January 2016 and this was the first time I ever had a trailer with electric brakes. I followed the instructions from Ford which set the controller at the highest level, drive 25 mph and squeeze the handles together and you should be able to lock the brakes up. Dial it down and continue to do this until you can no longer lock the brakes up. I tried this and unfortunately I was never able to lock them up. Took my truck to the Ford dealership and they said everything was working fine. Took my trailer to the RV dealership and they said the trailer brakes were working just fine. Both places told me it's probably just the way these new trucks are programmed and that they are preventing me from actually locking up the brakes. If I squeeze the controller I can definitely feel the trailer brakes engage because it pulls the truck a little but nothing too crazy. So I assumed everything was fine even if I could never really feel my trailer stopping me.

Fast forward to this past weekend when my truck broke down on the side of the road while pulling my trailer. I had to have the truck towed and luckily we were close to home and my father-in-law was able to come rescue us and the trailer. He has an identical truck other than he has an aftermarket brake controller installed. He asked me to drive since it was my trailer so I jumped in and took off and while exiting the highway I noticed the trailer was really pulling me back when I hit the brakes. I asked him to turn the controller down and that fixed the issue. Wow I was amazed at the feeling I got while using his truck and brake controller.

Now my question is has anyone else experienced anything like this? The reason I'm asking is I'm actually considering taking out the factory controller and having an aftermarket one installed just because with his I could actually tell the brakes were engaging where I really can't with mine. Luckily I haven't had to slam on the brakes yet with the trailer but piece of mind would be nice if I had to. Sorry for the long post but just trying to get other people's opinions before I rush out and spend money on a new one. Thanks in advance for the replys.
LJS1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #2

In my experience, even though you are instructed to lock up the brakes, not all trailer/truck combinations can achieve that. I think there are too many variables. Weight of trailer, number of axles, things like that. So if you cant lock them up, that's not something I'd lose any sleep over. As long as you can apply the trailer brakes with the control (not the brake pedal) and feel the trailer pull back on you and stop the vehicle, that's what really matters

Old 08-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
clr

I love my internal brake controller. What gain setting are you running on your truck? You may have to up the gain setting on your controller by hitting the + button until you are happy with the stopping.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
clr

OK I missed part of your post my bad. The internal brake controller will not allow you to lock up the brakes on the trailer. The computer is applying the maximum force up to the point where the trailer brakes almost lock, but will back off is starts to detect trailer brake lockup. If you ever have to do an emergency stop you will feel the brake pedal in the truck pulsating to stay just out of lockup.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #5

Not sure on the F150 but on mine within the trailer brake settings there is an effort setting. This is set to low from the factory and determines how hard it applies the gain. I set mine to medium and it solved the issue of weak braking.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Newer versions of the integrated controller have three levels of gain settings as mentioned above.
I don't believe the 2013 has that. You can only adjust the gain by pushing the + or - buttons.

With that said, as also mentioned, it's not imperative to make the wheels slide when adjusting the gain. You should be able to adjust the controller to get the trailer to stop easily.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=94
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #7

On both my 2011 F150 and now my 2017 F150 I was (and am) able to lock my brakes up with the integrated controller on both. When I first get going, driving at about 20km/hr, the trailer brakes lock up when I squeeze the slider on the dash (gain on 3) then after the brakes warm up I have it set on 3.5 or 4.0 so I can just feel the trailer braking when I squeeze the slider completely. It just takes a few tries to ensure the brakes are set. While towing I can just feel the trailer braking slightly behind me when I apply the brakes. This occurred with my first trailer (Sportsmen 242BHS @ 4000lbs dry) and now my Puma 253FBS (7000 lbs dry).
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #8

Also have 2013 and 2017 F150 with integral brake controllers. With both with the gain at the max mine will lock up the trailer brakes. I usually drive with the at 6 or 7 at the max. Hope this helps.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #9

An integrated brake controller is just as it states, it integrates the trailer brakes with the TV brakes. Neither the TV brakes nor the trailer brakes should "lock up". It is the purpose of "anti-lock brakes". When they do, you lose stopping ability, creates control issues, and it is hard on the tires. Given that, we have had an in-dash integrated brake controller for several years and are very confident using it. In the worse case panic stop we have had to make, there was never a doubt about having control. We would insist on it with any future TV purchases.

If you do research on locking up the brakes, you will find that once the TV, trailer wheels, or both have ceased to turn on a panic stop, you may well lose control. Not only will it take longer to stop, but it may also go into a side-skid. And finally, if you chose to replace your Ford integrated brake controller, you would want an aftermarket integrated brake controller that does the same thing. Is it possible that your relative has the old style brake controller that is not integrated? If so, he may want to consider an upgrade.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:37 PM   #10

I have a 2012 F-150 with factory brake controller and max tow. Mine will not lock the brakes on my Rockwood 2604WS (twin axles/4 electronic brakes), but that is not a problem. I set my controller to max gain and if I manually apply trailer brakes while moving I get max braking and no lock up ..... that is a good thing. You do not want your trailer brakes to lock-up, that condition can cause the trailer to become uncontrollable.
fluidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard58 View Post
Also have 2013 and 2017 F150 with integral brake controllers. With both with the gain at the max mine will lock up the trailer brakes. I usually drive with the at 6 or 7 at the max. Hope this helps.
That's a good point. If they do lock up, the gain should be set down to sweet spot of max braking w/o locking up. That could change slightly on wet pavement.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #12

I have a 2013 F150 Ecoboost with the max trailer tow package. The TT is a Coachmen Catalina 30bhs whic is 6800 lbs dry. I have never tried to lock up my TT brakes. I just set my gain so I can feel the trailer slow down the truck when it is just rolling. As long as I can feel the trailer brakes working I am happy.
Shane_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:42 PM   #13

I have a 2012 F250 with integrated brake control and have experienced the same symptoms that you describe. I am unable to lock up the brakes on my present trailer, a 2011 Cardinal 5th wheel or on my previous one, a 2011 Keystone Bullet.

Before I bought the F250 I towed the Bullet with a 2000 Toyota Tundra with an aftermarket brake controller. I was able to lock up the wheels on the bullet and also on the two travel trailers I had before that.

When the F250 did not perform as I thought (and as the instructions said it should, I had two dealers in different states check it out and both said the brake output was proper.

So, I keep the control sensitivity set to max all the time. It seems to work okay in actual operation and I can definitely feel the trailer trying to slow me down when I manually operate the trailer brakes using the integrated controller.

Jerry
JerryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #14

I had a Roo 19 and was able to lock up the brakes with the same Prodigy P3 brake controller installed on my 2011 Chevy Traverse, and then on my 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500.

Bought my Mini Lite 2503S and could not lock up the brakes with the P3 and the Silverado 1500. Now have a Silverado 2500HD with integrated brake controller and still can't lock them up.

Based on my limited experience above, it's my opinion that you can only lock up the brakes if you've got a very light trailer.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I had a Roo 19 and was able to lock up the brakes with the same Prodigy P3 brake controller installed on my 2011 Chevy Traverse, and then on my 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500.

Bought my Mini Lite 2503S and could not lock up the brakes with the P3 and the Silverado 1500. Now have a Silverado 2500HD with integrated brake controller and still can't lock them up.

Based on my limited experience above, it's my opinion that you can only lock up the brakes if you've got a very light trailer.
We have a 2013 Silverado 1500 with integrated brake controller. Pulling a 16' cargo trailer empty, the trailer brakes would lock up with a gain of 3. It was so much of a pain that I put it to zero. When the trailer was loaded, the trailer brakes will not lock up with a gain of 5-7. Your experience and opinion holds true. A cargo trailer does not use a WDH or sway control, but this combination has never failed to stop in a straight line, fully loaded, on a panic stop. Being old school, it is still hard to get used to. There was some sort a secure feeling that laying a long skid mark would help us stop faster.

I have to say that I am totally sold on truck manufacturers going with the integrated brake controller. It looks clean and it works well. Unfortunately, the Ford E series only offers the integrated brake controller off the assembly line. The F series integrated brake controller is available on Ebay or as a dealer install even though the F and E fit in the same dash area.

As far as I know, trailers do not yet have an anti-lock brake system. What really impresses me is that the anti-lock system on the TV is able to integrate so well with the trailer's "dumb brake" system.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #16

We have a 2010 Ford F-250 that had the integrated system. We had some other issues that we thought was in the integrated system. It turned out the issue was not in the integrated system at all. Bought a Technosha after market that has brake boost on it and I liked it so much, I just left it in the truck. It makes a big difference in stopping.
Full Timers since Jan. 2014
Odie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:21 AM   #17

We have a 2010 Ford F-250 that had the integrated system. We had some other issues that we thought was in the integrated system. It turned out the issue was not in the integrated system at all. Bought a Technosha after market that has brake boost on it and I liked it so much, I just left it in the truck. It makes a big difference in stopping.
Full Timers since Jan. 2014
Odie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, ford