Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #1

Question for Andersen No-Sway WDH owners...

We recently purchased this hitch and we went to install it today but we had an obstruction that we couldn't move so we are having to extend the length of our chains. Have any of you had to do this? I work at Tractor Supply so I bought the extra chain and two double clevis links while at work today. Hoping this doesn't affect the performance of the hitch at all.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #2

No it should not affect the hitch as long as the new chain and link is the same grade or stronger. It was mentioned in the manual when I used the Andersen.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #3

Yes, I saw where it was mentioned. I just wanted to hear it from someone who had actually had to do it. Lol. I saw in the back of the instruction manual that you can buy extra chain from Andersen and they use a quick link to connect it. I started to buy quick links but the double clevis link had a higher work load rating so I went with it. I also bought chain that is a higher grade just to be on the safe side. I'd rather over do it than run into problems later on.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #4

You should be good. I had to do the opposite and shorten my by a couple of links each side.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #5

JoyMarie,
I had a similar problem and I bought all new chain for the full length instead of using links to join two pieces. I wanted equal strength the whole chain length but since the load capability of the clevis exceeds the chain load rating, I can't see how that would be a problem. Just check to make sure the clevis doesn't work loose as you tow. I tend to either use a lock tight product, or sometimes just ding the threads slightly to keep nuts and similar threaded fasteners tight. That was almost 3 years ago and I have used the hitch ever since -- no problems at all. I would go ahead and not worry a bit about it.
Personally, I love the Anderson. Much faster to hook up and not hurting my back as I did when I used to use the weight distributing bars.
I have an old friend, retired log truck driver who owned his own trucks and tried to keep them on the road as much as possible. He has towed singles, doubles and triple log truck trailers on logging roads which have to be the worst possible, trying to stay in business. He stopped keeping track of mileages many years ago when he went over 9 million miles. He likes to joke that he has backed up more miles than most people have driven ahead. It might even be true.
He has a long, heavy travel trailer and does not use either weight distributing bars or anti-sway bars. In his opinion, too many people use them incorrectly and they will throw the tow vehicle off the road or into the ditch when the towed load weighs significantly more than the tractor/tow vehicle. It is a matter of weight and if the larger weight loses traction or direction, it is going to force the lighter vehicle to go whatever direction the heavier load goes when they are all locked together using WD hitches.
He believes it killed his brother when a load of scrap steel on a flat bed trailer with a weight distributing hitch skidded and flipped. It flipped the trailer and it also flipped the tow vehicle, killing his brother. He thinks the trailer would have broke off but for the WD hitch and maybe the tow vehicle would not have flipped, killing his brother.
He always tows level, using air bags and just a regular hitch, thinking it will break off before it flips his truck. If it starts to sway at all, he just taps the trailer brakes to straighten out the trailer and gives his truck just a slight tap on the accelerator to pull everything back straight. No more than a couple miles per hour increase in speed and then slows back down once everything is straight. Of course, he drives a 3/4 ton heavy duty diesel crew cab pickup and believes in having a tow vehicle that has some heft to it as a matter of survival.
I have known him for over 40 years and he has not had an accident during all that time and he has always towed the same way. No WD hitch. We full timed together for a couple years and he is on the road a lot, even at 86. He would rather lose his trailer than his life, from his point of view. But, he insists on air bags and is scrupulously religious about always towing level. He thinks that is most important as that is less likely to cause a problem than if the load is angled up or down on the hitch.
I use the Anderson but also always tow level and have not had any problems since doing that.
MacII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #6

Thanks! We finished getting the hitch installed yesterday and took it out for a test run. I was really impressed with the ride. I did not drive but I felt like it was a lot smoother ride that with the traditional WDH. We leave out Friday for Dreher Island which is about a two hour drive for us so we will see how it does.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:42 AM   #7

Can I ask what do you tow and what do you tow with? Keep in touch, tell us about your experiences with the Andersen.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Can I ask what do you tow and what do you tow with? Keep in touch, tell us about your experiences with the Andersen.
We have a 2014 Shamrock 25rs with a gross weight of 6,502 and a dry tongue weight of 502. Our tv is a 2009 F150 4x4 with the 5.4L V8.

I certainly will keep everyone updated.
JoyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway