Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 06:44 PM   #1

Question on maxium loaded car dolly speed

Just moved from a fifth wheel to a Georgetown motor home and will be towing a fwd Jeep Renegade on a Demco car dolly. Demco says not to exceed 55 mph with the loaded dolly. My question is what is a function maximum speed? I don't intend to exceed 65 mph and would like to know others experience pulling a loaded dolly at 60-65mph. Input appreciated.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:13 PM   #2

If you ever looked at a Uhaul trailer, they say max speed 45 mph!
Old 07-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #3

Anyone that can comment on real life experience here?
Old 07-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #4

I've traveled all across the US with a Toyota Camry on an ACME dolly. I typically cruise at 62-65 mph with very rare excursions as high as 75 mph. Never had any problems. I have TPMS on the dolly wheels and the rear wheels of the Camry so I can monitor pressure and temperature of the dolly and toad tires.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailwind22 View Post
Anyone that can comment on real life experience here?
What I was getting at. Most people do what they want regardless what instructions say. Your man. says 55 mph. Now you can go with that or shoot for a higher speed. What ever any else says, its up to you to decide what you want to do. That is on you alone.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
If you ever looked at a Uhaul trailer, they say max speed 45 mph!
They do that so people will at least stay below the posted speed limit.

As for how fast is safe for a car towed on a dolly, that's going to depend on the entire combination. Does the coach normally sway when at the speed limit. Even a little sway or wander will be magnified on the dolly and towed vehicle end. Each and every driver owes it to the safety of themselves and others to determine what their max speed is but it's highly recommended to not exceed posted speeds. Especially in states that automatically lower the speed limit by 10 mph for vehicles with anything in tow.

Can't count the number of times I've followed vehicles towing a car on a dolly and the only thing missing was Polynesian music to go with the Hula the car was doing.

For those who don't have an observation camera, consider putting a couple of fiberglass poles (like you see on kid's bikes) on the rear bumper of the towed vehicle. Tip them with some bright colored balls like you see on car antenna's and extend outward enough that they are visible in the drivers rear view mirrors. If the driver is driving down the highway and see's a ball disappear from view and see's the one on the other side on the opposite side of the mirror, the towed vehicle is definitely swaying.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:57 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. Good comments on use of tpms. I will have to rely on my rear camera for now to pick up irregularities.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #8

I used a tow dolly for 3 years before I went 4 down and never drove below 55 unless due to traffic or speed limit. That doesn't make it right but that is my real world experience. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #9

I have towed My 2015 Chevy Spark on Acme Car Dolly with Hydraulic Brakes without any problems. No it doesn't do the Hula Dance either. Forget about U-Haul Speed Restriction a Car Tow isn't a U-Haul Trailer. Usually drive 65 MPH with a 33 ft. Georgetown 328 without any problems. The only problem you have is other stupid Drivers cutting in front of you, just like normal. No I don't use any additional Lights on the Tow Dolly, just a sign saying CAR IN TOW.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #10

Just towed a Mazda 6 using a Master Tow dolly with surge brakes with our 3050s Sunseeker. Traveled 68 mph for 300 miles with no problems or sway.
Jtf320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:56 PM   #11

Towing

We have a 31 foot sunseeker, Demco kar kaddy SS and tow a renegade. Just came back from 2000 mile trip and drove between 60 and 65. We didn't have any issues other then periodically checking and tightening the tire straps when the loosen the winches tend to move to to the outside - other then that no issues . 62/63 feels like a safe speed
Steveanddianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:34 AM   #12
Team Bleu

I just called U-Haul for a rental on a full trailer for my QX60, they recommended no more 55, said I'd be safer around 45-50
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveanddianne View Post
We have a 31 foot sunseeker, Demco kar kaddy SS and tow a renegade. Just came back from 2000 mile trip and drove between 60 and 65. We didn't have any issues other then periodically checking and tightening the tire straps when the loosen the winches tend to move to to the outside - other then that no issues . 62/63 feels like a safe speed
Thanks a bunch. Exact same towing set up as me. That's what I love about a good forum, you ask a question and get a real life answer. Thanks, my target speed will be that 63-63 you referenced plus I do have a rear camera.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #14

Demco set up

We travel in a 32' Forester C Class and tow the Demco unit you have. I normally travel 60-65 if nothing else to help out in fuel mileage. Occasionally I'm up to 70 and hit 75 for a moment depending on road . . . Did have a major blow out with tow dolly will up in Wyoming last year. Luckily, had a driver behind me with a radio let me know and I stopped her fast. The Coach Net folks said it would be 5 hours and had to pay 5 hours labor rate, plus the tire cost. Ran down the road to Tractor Supply and picked up a new tire with a new rim. Now I have a spare. If I remember right, the load rating is a B, so soon I plan to upgrade that rating on the tires. Also, I too have to periodically re tighten my straps. One time on the interstate in West Virginia, strap was totally laying next to the tire. Only thing keeping it on was the chain. A trucker waved me down for that one. Good idea keeping track of your vehicle with the camera. I quit using the camera for my blind spots . . . just keeping an eye on my toad. Oh, and I do 2 trips at 30 days a year and some smaller ones in between. Have had my Demco for 4 years now . . . close to 35,000 miles.
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbuckeye View Post
Good idea keeping track of your vehicle with the camera. I quit using the camera for my blind spots . . . just keeping an eye on my toad.
I recall being in Idaho when a huge wildfire roared through an area NE of Boise. Was started when a toad had a tire fail and the driver didn't notice it. They kept driving and the toad kept flinging flaming balls of rubber onto the roadway. (as described by the newspaper article).

The result was about 10 miles of fire alongside the road that just took off and burned for a few weeks. As I recall, the RV'er got a bill for a huge amount. Just think how "inexpensive" a camera would have been.

I looked at a used Coach before I bough my TT. The previous owner had several cameras installed. Of them, one watched his toad, one watched over the roof to make sure he had clearance for his AC unit in low clearance situations, and another watched the road behind like a rear view mirror only a lot better.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:15 PM   #16

I wonder if that's why they say limit speed to 55 mph with those little wheels?