Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #1

Quick question on CAT scales

Quick question on CAT scales. This will be my first visit to one and I'm not sure how to weigh regarding the weight distribution bars. Do they stay with the TT or TV? I have a smaller TT at 15ft so the bars can add a lot of weight to the full load of the TT.
Larzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #2

If you can...get 3 weights, assuming you are not holding up the line

Everything connected WDH hitch and trailer connected to TV.
Trailer connected with WDH off or disengaged(throw them in back of TV if needed).
Finally trailer disconnected on 1 plate and TV on another.

The bars will usually be considered tongue weight on the TV if that answers your question.
SquiggyFreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #3

The scales have 4 or more segments, each will weigh an axle(s) weight independently.
You want the trailer axle(s) on one and the front and rear axles of the TV on two others.
Pick a time when the scales aren't busy, you don't want delay a commercial trucker.
It's a long reach up to the intercom to speak to the weighmaster.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiggyFreud View Post

Everything connected WDH hitch and trailer connected to TV.
Trailer connected with WDH off or disengaged(throw them in back of TV if needed).
Finally trailer disconnected on 1 plate and TV on another.

The bars will usually be considered tongue weight on the TV if that answers your question.
the 1st 2 are good, for the 3rd one leave the trailer in the parking lot and just weigh the truck. In all 3 cases have each truck axle on it's own scale plate.

Separating the trail on the scale ties up the scale and doesn't give anymore information.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #5

I ran through twice, which gave me the key stats. First w/ TV only (including WDH and bars) and two people. Then a second time w/ TT connected and WDH engaged (same 2 people and stuff in TV). That provides my axle weights and confirms I'm under 7100# GVW of TV. It confirms I'm under the combined max tow weight. And I can get the stand alone TT weight by subtracting TV stand alone weight from combined with TT hooked up weight.
I'm towing w/ a Durango, so i keep an eye on the weight. I'll weigh again this spring since the camper tends to accumulate stuff.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #6

Also there is a CAT app for your phone. Sends the weights to your phone and emails you a PDF. You don't have to get out of the rig. Several YouTube videos about it.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #7

I use this Truck and Trailer Weights Calculator spreadsheet to calculate everything.

Plug the GVW data into the green cells from your truck and trailer. Then, use a standard or CAT scale to plug the numbers into the yellow cells. From there, you have a plethora of information regarding how your WDH is set up and if your TV or Trailer is overloaded in any area.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #8

Ask if that CAT Scale allows you to re-weigh your truck for 24 hours after you first weigh your rig hitched together. I always weigh my rig, take my trailer home, go back and weigh the truck. You only have to disconnect your trailer back at home (storage). Take your weigh slip with you when you go back to weigh the truck. This website might help you.
https://fifthwheelst.com/
menekaunee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #9

Thanks all for your input. Appreciate it!
Larzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiggyFreud View Post
The CAT Scales Ive been to will not allow you to unhitch on the scale itself, so you aer never really holding up the line.

They do not want the possibility of something going wrong and having the scales blocked or out of service.

They will allow you to move off the scale, do whatever you desire and re-weigh as many times in whatever configurations you desire for the re-weigh price, starting at the back of the line (assuming there is one) each time.

PS. Ive never had to wait in any line.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #11

My strategy is to put my truck on one pad, the trailer on the other pad. I do one weigh. Chock the trailer, drop the front landing gear, lift the trailer off the Andersen hitch and get a reweigh. I go late in the day when there are no lines.

From this I get the following;
GCWR
Trailer weight
Truck weight hitched
Truck weight unhitched
Calculate for pin weight

Takes longer to get the attendant back on the line to capture the weights than it does to raise the 5er of the hitch.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #12

I just weighed everything Thursday afternoon. Did 4 weighs. Didn't wait once. Took about 30 mins total which included unhitching the trailer, rehitching and walking in to pay and get my ticket each time. For some reason they are a new scale (truck stop opened a few months ago) and their app doesn't work yet.
It was easy.
My first weigh was truck, trailer with wd engaged.
Second weigh was no WD engaged.
3rd weigh was truck only.
4th weigh I adjusted my hitch to send more weight forward after seeing my tickets to get the front axle closer to empty weight.
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, scales