Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 35
Ram 1500 Hitch Question

So im 2 seconds away from getting a 247BHDS (5800lbs UVW), my Ram with the better towing gear transmission is listed to tow 10,300lbs. The dealer is throwing in an ez lift hitch with 1000lb bars and a trailer brake. I know the trailer brake is obvious, but is that a decent hitch? Would I be better off getting one outside of the dealer?
jsmith032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Croaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: ...
Posts: 118
I have the 4-way Equalizer hitch. (10,000lb)

The bars also act as sway control, so there is no "extra" sway controller to futz with.

So far, I like it better than my previous trailer with Eaz Lift and seperate sway controller.

...but hey....if they are giving you a free hitch...
__________________
...
Croaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:01 PM   #3
I go RV'ing not Camping
 
jgourlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Lethbridge, Ab, Canada
Posts: 1,486
It's an ok hitch. Certainly not the best on the market.
__________________
312QBUD Owners Thread
2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen 312QBUD
2000 Chev 2500 Extended Cab 6 Liter
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:03 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 35
What about the Reese straight line 1200lb trunnion bar hitch kit? How does it compare to the EZ?
jsmith032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:46 PM   #5
I go RV'ing not Camping
 
jgourlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Lethbridge, Ab, Canada
Posts: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith032 View Post
What about the Reese straight line 1200lb trunnion bar hitch kit? How does it compare to the EZ?
Yep that is a step up and a good hitch
__________________
312QBUD Owners Thread
2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen 312QBUD
2000 Chev 2500 Extended Cab 6 Liter
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:59 AM   #6
Just a member
 
kandl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Great White North
Posts: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith032 View Post
What about the Reese straight line 1200lb trunnion bar hitch kit? How does it compare to the EZ?
The Reese Strait-Line WDH works well - I'm pretty happy with it. The 1200 lb bars though are overkill for your TT. The spring bar rating should be approximately the same (a little more is better) as the weight of the TT's coupler on the ball, which ideally should be between 11 to 15 percent of the TT's loaded weight.

__________________
K&L + the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2019 Dodge 3500 SRW Crew HO CTD

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:13 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
m2kamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 333
In my case, much better off to get a WDH outside of the stealership $$$. Not only that most dealers have no clue how to set it up properly...

I have TWO Fastway e2 1000lb (2pt version of Equalizer) round bar WD hitches. I got them off of craigslist for total of $220. I now have spares just in case for not much $ and very happy with my setup.
__________________
2015 Wildwood 26TBSS Equalizer 4pt 10k
2018 Ram 1500 CC 5.7L 4x4 3.92 LSD
2017 Ram 1500 CC 3.6L 4x2 3.55
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 35
Another local dealer uses the Reese hitch, MSRP was $999 for it. Im going to get a trailer brake myself from the OEM and have it look stock so I may ask the dealer to upgrade the hitch to something a little cooler/easier to use.
jsmith032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #9
Usually Confused Member
 
emm-dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith032 View Post
Another local dealer uses the Reese hitch, MSRP was $999 for it. Im going to get a trailer brake myself from the OEM and have it look stock so I may ask the dealer to upgrade the hitch to something a little cooler/easier to use.
If you're talking about getting the Ram integrated brake controller then you'll be happy with it. It's a very easy installation (less than 30 minutes). Smoothist unit I've ever used.
__________________
2018 Forester 3051S (aka Clyde)
2015 Wrangler Toad (aka Bonnie)

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
If you're talking about getting the Ram integrated brake controller then you'll be happy with it. It's a very easy installation (less than 30 minutes). Smoothist unit I've ever used.
Exactly. I found it for $178 on eBay and have no problems installing it myself. Did you have to get it programmed at the dealer though? If so I may sweet talk my dealership to do it for me for free when Im getting warranty work/oil changes done.
jsmith032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 284
I'm towing a 5800 pound TT with a RAM 1500 using an E2 round at hitch. I've also got the integrated brake controller in my truck. Was 200 installed by dealer and only took an hour. Hitch works wonderfully and is dead simple to hitch the trailer up with. Brake controller works nicely too. Once you set it, operation is smooth and seemless.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 956
I'm using an Eaz Lift on my TT. Used it on a former TT as well. I'm upgrading the bars due to a heavier tongue weight. Both TTs pulled very well with it. It's cheap, but gets the job done for me. Might be due to pulling them with the longest wheelbase Silverado diesel? Dunno.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 389
It's an inexpensive hitch but it works well. I have it with the sway bar on my RAM 1500 EcoDiesel and it works fine. I pull a little over 6000 pounds with 780 pounds of hitch weight. I use the 5th chain link and the trailer and truck are straight and level as an arrow. There are better hitches for sure but for a low cost option it's fine. I really can't complain.
__________________
OldBob

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 35
I've got it narrowed down to 2 dealers. One is a mom and pop shop that would be installing the dual cam reese and giving me 2 extra 6V GC2 batteries (still not sure why thats a good sell, something about being off the grid Im assuming). The other dealer is throwing in an eaz hitch that to me sounded pretty cheap, also throwing in a trailer brake that I now no longer need, so basically just the hitch. Prices are almost identical. Is the reese worth it to close the deal with the smaller dealer? They're actually a couple hundred less than the other dealer too.
jsmith032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:59 PM   #15
Usually Confused Member
 
emm-dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith032 View Post
Exactly. I found it for $178 on eBay and have no problems installing it myself. Did you have to get it programmed at the dealer though? If so I may sweet talk my dealership to do it for me for free when Im getting warranty work/oil changes done.
Since one has to have access to the factory computer system the dealer(s) is the only one who can program the truck. Costs range from zero to $100 for that. If you have a good relationship with your dealer and are in the shop for other work you can usually get it done free. Just ask them to program code XHC. It's a two step process. First, the dealer accesses the factory system and tells it to associate your vin number with that code. Five minutes later, the tech plugs the laptop into your truck and the factory system then tells your truck to accept inputs from the controller. It's probably about 10 minutes or less work time for the dealer and it also doesn't cost them anything and most will do it for regular customers.

Also, you can have the programming done before or after the device is installed.
__________________
2018 Forester 3051S (aka Clyde)
2015 Wrangler Toad (aka Bonnie)

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith032 View Post
I've got it narrowed down to 2 dealers. One is a mom and pop shop that would be installing the dual cam reese and giving me 2 extra 6V GC2 batteries (still not sure why thats a good sell, something about being off the grid Im assuming). The other dealer is throwing in an eaz hitch that to me sounded pretty cheap, also throwing in a trailer brake that I now no longer need, so basically just the hitch. Prices are almost identical. Is the reese worth it to close the deal with the smaller dealer? They're actually a couple hundred less than the other dealer too.
The Eaz hitch is pretty low end. It's the one I have. It does the job but that's about it. The Reese with the 2 6v batteries is a great deal in my opinion. That's the way I would go.
__________________
OldBob

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Since one has to have access to the factory computer system the dealer(s) is the only one who can program the truck. Costs range from zero to $100 for that. If you have a good relationship with your dealer and are in the shop for other work you can usually get it done free. Just ask them to program code XHC. It's a two step process. First, the dealer accesses the factory system and tells it to associate your vin number with that code. Five minutes later, the tech plugs the laptop into your truck and the factory system then tells your truck to accept inputs from the controller. It's probably about 10 minutes or less work time for the dealer and it also doesn't cost them anything and most will do it for regular customers.

Also, you can have the programming done before or after the device is installed.

What gain % do you use? And what setting? My TT will be roughly 5800lbs dry, 247bhds.
jsmith032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
jbhodj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 189
I have the equalizer 10000/1000 with my Ram 1500 and love it


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
Jon & Kristine
Drake 12 and Taylor 9
Sassy 6 human years
2017 Coachmen 292BHDS
2017 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Cummins 4x4
jbhodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
500, hitch

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.